Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank

Dodgy Sound Deadening your doors

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

This by no means is the best way to do it its just the way i know how to.

Aim: Deaden the doors

Required:
    Dynamat
    3mm Mdf (protective glasses and dust mask to wear while cutting the mdf)
    Wax and grease remover
    Roller
    Rags
    Razor
    Waterproof tape
    Jigsaw
    Cardboard
    Spray paint

Notes for applying dynamat
    - Make sure the surface is cleanned with wax and grease remover so the dynamat sticks well
    - Once its stuck on it wont be comming off easily so line up the sheet before you apply
    - Avoid getting air pockets, if you do get some cut a slit to let the air pocket out
    - Becareful of the edges of the dynamat, its quiet sharp and can cut you easily if you rub against it without gloves.
    Additional notes thanks to RAD

Steps 1: Preping the door

Start by removing the door panel so you see what your working with, im doing this on a ek civic but you can follow the same principal for other cars.

Once you have the door panel off the fun begings, you need to remove the plastic weather shield by just pulling it off and then you need to clean the glue off, cleanning the glue is a messy task so i didnt get pictures as my hands were covered in it.

You start by scraping up the excess glue, i just use bits of cut up plastic packets to scrape it up.

Once you have most of it cleanned off just use wax and grease remover on a rag to wipe off the rest of it. Now that the outer skin is cleanned wipe down the inner skin with wax and grease remover aswell and then your door is preped.

Step 2: Covering inner skin

Cut sections of dynamat that you can fit through the service hole and start applying, i dont pull the backing off the dynamat untill its inside the door ready to place otherwise i tend to get it stuck to the service holes or itself when i try and feed it through. Once i have the backing off i stick an edge down and roller my way along evenly so the sheet goes on nice and flat.

I covered the inner skin in 1 layer completely and then put a second layer behind the driver. you can get away with using alot less but i prefer to over do things rather than not do enough. http://www.dynamat.com/faqs_faqs.html#text3082anc

Step 3: Covering service holes

First we make templates, get some cardboard and cut it to a size just bigger than the service hole and jam it through.

Hold it up against the back of the service hole and trace around

Once you have done that cut out the cardboard and trace onto your 3mm mdf

Repeat for your other service holes, you will usually have one service hole for each door that has metal rods going through it so you can either leave that hole open or cut your mdf to fit as close as possible to it. Sometimes you will also have wires for power windows ect coming through a service hole so just pull them to the corner of the hole and trace around them so the mdf cutout will allow space for them.

Once they are all traced put your mask on and cut your mdf then give it a spray of paint to help waterproof it.

Now you have your cutouts ready you can cover the service holes, i put multiple strips of tape on the service hole to cover it and help keep water off the mdf(top right service hole in pic) Then you just put the mdf cutout over the tape and tape the outline to hold it inplace.(bottem service hole in pic)

Repeat for the other service holes, dont get any tape on the metal rods as they need to move to lock/open your door.

Step 4: Covering outer skin

This is the easy part, i cover the service holes, where the driver mounts and any little holes in the outer skin, ek has plenty of little holes so i just covered most of the outer skin. I used a roller first then used the handle of a screwdriver to rub the dynamat into all the corners

Now thats done you can chuck a dynaxorb pad behind the driver(Thanks to Trism for recommending this)

And mount all 6.5 inchs of focal goodness

Then put the door panel back on and Welcome Abourd dodgy sound deadened doors.
    Last edited by TbM; 04-05-2012 at 01:42 AM.
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla Spec S
    great write up

and

good pic coverage

+ rep
    peteju captures, like us on facebook..

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R

how many kg of dynamat all up?
    i wonder how effective they are compared to oem sound deadening
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I cannot rep you again yet.

But this is good.

You will be rep'd at a later date MF.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Got damn. Awesome stuff as usual
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by mocchi View Post

how many kg of dynamat all up?
    i wonder how effective they are compared to oem sound deadening
    For the doors i used about 3 sheets from a bulk pack for each door plus mdf and tape, each sheet is about 1 kg according to my scales so would be about 3-4kg a door.

If your worried about adding weight you can just dynamat the inner skin in 25-50% coverage focusing on behind the woofer then just cover the service holes in tape and mdf. would greatly reduce the dynamat used for each door. I was not concerned with weight so just used heaps of it lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by lilthug View Post
    great write up

and

good pic coverage

+ rep
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    I cannot rep you again yet.

But this is good.

You will be rep'd at a later date MF.
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    Got damn. Awesome stuff as usual
    Thanks lads

Will this reduce any road noise on those long country trips?

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Not really. This is more to create a solid enclosure for the speakers.

To reduce road noise, you need to put something like http://dynamat.com/technical_specs_dynapad.html

Under the carpet.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    Canon 5d
    great write up

rep tbm captures
    you're probably asleep right now but I love you and you're the most beautiful girl I met, inside and out. have a good nights sleep and I hope this puts a smile on your face when you wake up.

Account Disabled Array
    This will come in handy one day...

negged

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by sensei_ View Post
    Will this reduce any road noise on those long country trips?
    As Trism has said, deadening the doors is mainly for the speakers, if your trying to reduce road noise you can use the dynapad hes recommended and you can also deaden the wheel archs with brush on deadener, ive deadened the archs on my car and it helped alot.