Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First 1k service

Does anyone know what is involved with the first 1k service?
    I doubt that they drop the oil and filter at 1K or even at 5k.

I might do this at 1k-2k myself as I clock alot of km and can't be without a car for a day.

If you do your own oil and filter change with OEM parts at the proper intervals, will Honda still warrant the warranty? Or is this one of those grey areas.

I'm not a qualified mechanic but I have worked and rebuild engines from v-twins, inline 4, I6,V8 and even a couple of V12 from a SL600 Merc.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    At 1k, usually it's just a check up to see if anything has gone wrong. Some dealers will claim that they change the oil, they won't. If you look at the book, it's just a check up to make sure nothing has come loose.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    I know a few people that will do a half interval oil change the first time.

As for doing it yourself, no, you will loose your warranty unless you can get the log book stamped.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    First Free Inspection. Also ask to get the oil+filter changed or do it yourself i would recommend this, as you are running in the motor pretty much. Don't think it will warrant the warranty.
    At Holden its at 3000km, we have had customers asking for an oil change at the inspection.
    WTB:
    -facelift rear bar 99-00 ek
    -Genuine Window visors.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen View Post
    Does anyone know what is involved with the first 1k service?
    I doubt that they drop the oil and filter at 1K or even at 5k.

I might do this at 1k-2k myself as I clock alot of km and can't be without a car for a day.

If you do your own oil and filter change with OEM parts at the proper intervals, will Honda still warrant the warranty? Or is this one of those grey areas.

I'm not a qualified mechanic but I have worked and rebuild engines from v-twins, inline 4, I6,V8 and even a couple of V12 from a SL600 Merc.
    I just did my 1K service the other week. As others have mentioned, its just a free checkup on the car. The items are listed in your service book. I requested for an oil and oil filter change which costs $100 (inc filter but byo oil). From start to finish was less than an hour.

If you diy, you will need to make sure you have ALL the receipts, i.e. oil filter, oil, et al. They will honour the warranty unless you buggered something up or used something you shouldn't. An hour out of my day every 6mths or so isnt too bad. Most of the service items are just oil and oil filter. Compared to other car makers, the costs arent too bad. Another advantage is that if they had new software/firmware updates, you will get it automatically.

hth

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Depends on where you go. Astoria Honda (in Vic) loans free hire car, although you pay 5 bux for fuel and tyre wear. Very reasonable amount. I would do that, then do the oil and filter change myself. No need to pay $100 for labour, such a rip for 1/2 hrs work (half of which is spent waiting for the oil to drain).

Member Array
    Car:
    MY12 CU2 Auto
    Personally, i switch to Mobil 1 & change filter at 2000km.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by buddah51au View Post
    Personally, i switch to Mobil 1 & change filter at 2000km.
    having full-syn at 2000km would prolong the run-in of the car tho wouldnt it?
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    Depends on where you go. Astoria Honda (in Vic) loans free hire car, although you pay 5 bux for fuel and tyre wear. Very reasonable amount. I would do that, then do the oil and filter change myself. No need to pay $100 for labour, such a rip for 1/2 hrs work (half of which is spent waiting for the oil to drain).
    Wasnt $100....

To each their own, most ppl wouldnt even ask for an oil change at the 1000km service. I would rather pay someone $80 to do it than stuffing around with jacks, stands, underbody clips, oil filter, washers et al. It would take me a couple of hours minimum, including the stuffing around finding your council oil disposal centre. I'd rather spend my that time with my family.

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2
    Depends if the receptionist is hot. Nuff said
    what gets wet ...while its drying?

Member Array
    Car:
    DMC-12
    if u look at your car's manual, it says do not change the oil until the 6 month service..

Member Array
    Car:
    MY12 CU2 Auto
    Not at all, just think of the number of high performance vehicles that use Mobile 1 as a factory fill. It is just a myth that Synthetic oil is not suitable for running in a new engine.

Quote :- My general recommendations are to run the factory installed petroleum oil for about the
    about the first 500-1000 miles, or your first scheduled oil change; whichever you choose.
    Then drain the oil, remove the factory installed oil filter and then install a premium
    quality synthetic motor oil and a premium quality oil filter and your ready to go. Again, I
    want to make it clear that synthetic oil will not prevent your engine from properly
    wearing in and you most certainly can convert to synthetic oil sooner than 500 miles if
    you desire.

By changing the factory installed oil and filter around the first 500-1000 miles, or the first
    scheduled oil change, you will also be removing the initial wear-in particulates present in
    the oil and filter. The reason for this is that during initial wear-in there is very high
    particulate contamination in the oil. These particulates consist mainly of microscopic
    particles of aluminum, chromium, copper, tin, bronze, lead and iron, plus soot particles
    and other by-products of combustion in your oil.
    The oil filter cannot filter out all these small particulates since many are sub-micron size
    and too small for the filter to trap, but they are also small enough to fit between bearings
    and other internal clearances and potentially cause wear. That is why I recommend to that
    in order to properly wear-in a new engine perform the first oil and filter change at about
    500-1000 miles, or the first scheduled oil change, whichever you prefer and feel
    comfortable with. Personally, I convert my new vehicles and equipment to synthetic as
    soon as possible, within the first 500-1000 miles,

Fredoops - Even you posted this link - http://www.motor-oil-engineers.com/M...eers%20PDF.pdf
    Obviously you haven't taken the time to read it, although the writer is obviously very 1 sided towards Amsoil.
    Last edited by buddah51au; 30-04-2012 at 08:04 AM.