Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro

Legal Tyres/Rims Size

Been lurking for a while and now have a question for noob question myself to ask!

Just bought an 05 Euro a few weeks back and recently was defected for my 20'' rims. I've been searching these forums and have seen various threads about Legal Tyre sizes and etc in NSW and conflicting statements just have confused me more.

As far as I can tell, you can pull off 20's with low profile tyres, so long as the diameter doesn't exceed 15mm as whole of the stock?

The copper brought up the 2 inch larger than stock rule and what is listed on the placard. Does that sound right?

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude ATTS
    Ive always been told you can go 2 inches larger (or smaller) then stock.

But give this a read, it might help:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...vsi09_rev4.pdf

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    yeahbuddy, sounds pretty correct.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    rwb 911 , eg
    yeh i think 2 inches larger is fine

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Up to 2 inches larger, as long as the overall rolling diameter isn't increased, right?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 03
    So i'll read it for you how about that.

Minor changes to wheels
    Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the
    vehicle can be fitted without the need to notify the RTA.
    The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter
    wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel
    and tyre combination specified for the vehicle.
    In plain english get whatever size you want just ensure outside diameter is 15mm more then the original outside diameter.

So to do this you get lower profile tires if you want bigger rims. However legally you have to have the same tyre load rating as stock too.

it wouldn't be a wheel tyre thread without the age old website.

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by marquee View Post
    So i'll read it for you how about that.

In plain english get whatever size you want just ensure outside diameter is 15mm more then the original outside diameter.

So to do this you get lower profile tires if you want bigger rims. However legally you have to have the same tyre load rating as stock too.

it wouldn't be a wheel tyre thread without the age old website.

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

Thanks for that. That's what I assumed, however with everyone mentioning the 2" larger than stock rule as well as the cop that defected me..got me confused.

They have a rather shitty diagram up on the RTA indicating what they regard as 'rim width' but it all makes sense now. I'll have a look at that link

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    If the rolling diameter is the same then you should be good to go. But a snobby cop will make dumb rules. I've heard of some silly ones like no more then 3" bigger or 2" bigger. But if Ur offset is too little ie Ur the wheels stuck out more u can be defected

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Basically, the cops don't know the ****ing laws they're supposed to be enforcing, and if they can't find a real reason to defect you, they'll invent one.

Having said that, I find that as long as you aren't stupidly low, don't have ridiculously oversized wheels, don't have an obnoxiously loud exhaust, and don't have a stupid rear wing, you won't receive that much more attention in any car. If you're getting police attention in a family sedan, there has to be a reason for it.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    they assume that no one else knows the rules.

However i never get pulled because i dont have 20" wheels (because it would be overkill for me), stuff like that is cop bait. i have an exhaust system and aftermarket wheels for sure plus obviosuly non standard suspension and a spoon wing but never get attention...

Are your wheels shiny or something?

Member Array
    Car:
    GOLDWING FTW
    the rule i stick to when i do blueslips no more than 2inch wider and does not exceed 10mm of roling diameter no gaurd potrusion and a one finger gap for gaurd clearance tyre speed and load rating too
    dodgy engine james middle_name_james naughty_james noise thak_thak vibration
    View Tag Cloud

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    thats a good rule!