Member Array
    Car:
    2003 JAZZ

JAZZ - gearbox fkd. typical

before it makes way for my new car.

tranny = manual
    1.3L jazz, 2003ish

its making a horrendous rattle. im 99% sure its gearbox, and been told possibly "front gearbox bearing(s)"

of recent weeks its also making a screaching (maybe syncs are starting to die) when accelerating through 1st and 2nd gears. not a constant screach. just like hear and there random noise (on top of the rattle).

questions;
    1. how much to fix?
    2. should i just sell on the cheap?

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3-EVO-S2000
    how many km's does it have? and when was the last time you changed your clutch?
    Herro

Its kinda hard to diagnose but are you able to better describe the noises? Location, type of noise [eg. dry ball bearings rubbing each other], when it does it and if you can youtube various noise. I suggest checking out "Wheel Bearing" and "Gearbox - Release Bearing/Thrust Bearing" cause I think it maybe those?
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    ABA-EP3, LA-EP3
    Quote Originally Posted by paps02 View Post
    before it makes way for my new car.

tranny = manual
    1.3L jazz, 2003ish

its making a horrendous rattle. im 99% sure its gearbox, and been told possibly "front gearbox bearing(s)"

of recent weeks its also making a screaching (maybe syncs are starting to die) when accelerating through 1st and 2nd gears. not a constant screach. just like hear and there random noise (on top of the rattle).

questions;
    1. how much to fix?
    2. should i just sell on the cheap?
    Does the noise go away when you clutch in??

I had this issue before. It's most like your input shaft bearing that's died as it did with mine.

I bought a brand new gearbox from Honda costing me $3000 for the whole box.

However, the cheaper alternative to go to wreckers and maybe pick up a gearbox for $700.

Labour aside would cost about $600 to $1000 depend on the mechanic you go to. It's similar to doing a clutch job in terms of labour.

If you're gonna pull the box out, you may as well do the clutch and rear main oil coil seal + pilot bearing.
    Last edited by Poeter; 30-04-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.
    Yep. The wrecker is your friend.

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3/ED6
    ive got a 7 speed cvt. feels like my box is leaving me... gonna flush out the oils soon, but how much would an auto one cost?

Member Array
    Car:
    2003 JAZZ
    noise goes away when clutch is engaged. correct..

im worried the risk with buying a gearbox from the wreckers is i have no way of knowing if the gearbox im buying is damaged also! jazz of this build are known for their gearbox weakness.

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3/ED6
    does it still rattle when its warmed up? i found that mine more than often rattles when its cold. although it does still happen when its warmed up. gonna go change the oil soon, see how i go then.

Member Array
    Car:
    2003 JAZZ
    nope this is hot or cold. if im stationary on a half steep decline noise stops..

Member Array
    Car:
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by paps02 View Post
    noise goes away when clutch is engaged. correct..

im worried the risk with buying a gearbox from the wreckers is i have no way of knowing if the gearbox im buying is damaged also! jazz of this build are known for their gearbox weakness.
    Sounds like thrust/throwout bearing issue. If your clutch is on its way, I recommend getting a clutch kit which comes with the clutch disc, pressure plate, thrust bearing and pilot bearing.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    ouch, when fixing your engine shudder problem getting a new startclutch is the most common fix, 1600 from honda
    srry to hijack