Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec

help!! speakers keep cutting out when i put the volume up!

hey guys, i just installed a head unit into my car and am having some trouble..
    the previous owner has installed some cadence speakers all round (speaker with built in tweeter kinda thing, sorry dont know what they're called)

what happens is, as soon as i turn my volume up over a certain level the speakers cut out, and for them to work again i have to turn the ignition off and restart the car.
    ive checked over all my wiring, and nothing is touching. everything is soldered and heat shrink wrapped.

the head unit is nothing ancient, so i dont think that it is the problem..
    im not running an amp, and i dont plan to as ive had a similar setup (just normal speakers though) work fine on my previous car

what could it be? its driving me insane!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Maybe your playing the speakers too loud

Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec
    nope not possible. the stock speakers on my other car could handle it and its a 1990 model. i cant even put it half way..

no one knows whyy??

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    If you have checked all the wiring the only thing i can think of besides the headunit being faulty is the speakers might be too low ohms for the headunit, IIrc if they are too low for the headunit they will over drive the amp in the head unit and cause it to over heat or go into over current protection.
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by TbM View Post
    If you have checked all the wiring the only thing i can think of besides the headunit being faulty is the speakers might be too low ohms for the headunit, IIrc if they are too low for the headunit they will over drive the amp in the head unit and cause it to over heat or go into over current protection.
    My thoughts exactly...
    Does sound very much like the headunits amp is going into protection...
    Also, the word you are looking for is coax speakers.. the ones with the tweeter on them, instead of seperate.

I'd rip a door card off (by rip I mean pull off gently) take out a speaker, and look for a model number... research. if they are 2ohm model... that is probably the reason... else, maybe the headunit isn't getting enough volts?
    Does the headunit turn off when it happens? or is it just the speakers turning off?
    If the headunit does turn off, if you leave it for a bit, does it come back on by itself? like if you turn it down? or does it stay off?

Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter995 View Post
    My thoughts exactly...
    Does sound very much like the headunits amp is going into protection...
    Also, the word you are looking for is coax speakers.. the ones with the tweeter on them, instead of seperate.

I'd rip a door card off (by rip I mean pull off gently) take out a speaker, and look for a model number... research. if they are 2ohm model... that is probably the reason... else, maybe the headunit isn't getting enough volts?
    Does the headunit turn off when it happens? or is it just the speakers turning off?
    If the headunit does turn off, if you leave it for a bit, does it come back on by itself? like if you turn it down? or does it stay off?
    the head unit stays on, but the speakers dont come back on even after ive turedn the volume down.. if my speakers are 2ohms, how many ohm speakers will i need to change them too?

thank for reply

Account Disabled Array
    most car audio gear is rated @ 4ohm.

correct me if I'm wrong.

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by ericl33 View Post

correct me if I'm wrong.
    eh... most would be pushing it... there are some 2ohm speakers out there, quite a lot single 2ohm subs, even more dual 2ohm subs (which would be 4ohm wired in.... series? can't remember exactly) and even more dual 4ohm subs (which would be 2ohm in... the same wiring... way... I really should know which way will get that...)

But yes, if they are 2ohms, you should be aiming for 4ohms.
    Could they be blown? thoughts?

Account Disabled Array
    the more you know

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by cihanvtec View Post
    the head unit stays on, but the speakers dont come back on even after ive turedn the volume down.. if my speakers are 2ohms, how many ohm speakers will i need to change them too?

thank for reply
    Most head units require a minimum of 4 ohm speakers, if they are 2 ohm you could buy a small 4 ch amp instead of replacing the speakers, would be a much better option imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ericl33 View Post

correct me if I'm wrong.
    Sort of, most coax and splits will be rated at 4 ohm but, subs and amps will generally have different ratings
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter995 View Post
    eh... most would be pushing it... there are some 2ohm speakers out there, quite a lot single 2ohm subs, even more dual 2ohm subs (which would be 4ohm wired in.... series? can't remember exactly) and even more dual 4ohm subs (which would be 2ohm in... the same wiring... way... I really should know which way will get that...)

But yes, if they are 2ohms, you should be aiming for 4ohms.
    Could they be blown? thoughts?
    Dual 4 ohm sub would be 8 ohm in series or 2 ohm in paralell

Imo i dont think a speaker is blown, op would probably of noticed if there was output lacking from one speaker, im thinking its a wiring or ohm issue.
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    ah, parallel... Man, I really need to study that more... so I don't forget, and then remember how to wire them up >.>

But yes, if 2ohms, amp is quite a good plan.
    and true wiring or ohm issue.

Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec
    okay, i so had some time on my hands today so i opened up the doors.. the speakers are cadence zx461.. i had a look on the net, and now im even more confused! theyre rated at 4 ohms.. what do i do now? lol.. arghhh