B18CR EG - Worth buying?

Hi guys, I'm looking into buying a black EG with a B18CR engine in it. Thing is, it has no rego, no rwc and no engineers certificate. It has upgraded brakes too to go with the engine so that should be fine? Not sure if there's anything wrong in the engine bay for me to NOT get a engineers cert.

Price is alright, I can work out the price for the car but I am worried about getting it on the road, what problems will I have? Or pretty much just the engineers certificate and rwc? Anything else I need to worry about?

Thank you.

Member Array
    Car:
    CivInteJazPreAc
    You need to bring someone with you who is good at cars. What I mean by this is that they can diagnose any problems with the vehicle quickly. Pay a mechanic to check it out if you don't know anyone.
    Some questions you want answered are:
    Is there any oil leaking from the engine? How much? Where from?
    Is the radiator holding pressure?
    Is there moisture coming from the exhaust when you rev it?
    How healthy does the engine sound?
    Is there any leaking radiator fluid?
    What do the spark plugs say about each piston?
    Is the transmission changing gears smoothly?
    How's the clutch?
    How's the steering?
    How's the tyres?
    How's suspension?
    Rust on body (check everywhere!)

Before all that you really want to ask the owner how long he's owned the car for, how often it was serviced, why it's unregistered, why not engineered. You also want to get a quote on how much it will cost to engineer.
    I'm sure I missed something but that should help you a bit

Member Array
    Car:
    88 CRX B16a
    If the Engine hasn't been prior regoed to the Car I Don't think i would bother.

Otherwise more than likely you would need to get a Mod Plate for the Engine to be installed in the car. which depend on what state you are in could range from $100-$1000+

Would you have a rough idea how much it'd cost for a mechanic to check all those if I'm able to grab a permit off VicRoads and get the car to a mechanic?

I'm pretty sure he hasn't gotten it registered and engineered because he was looking into a new car (he now has a new car and the eg is just at home) but I will ask anyways.

I got the price of how much an engineering certificate will be today. I thought I could just bring it there and leave it for them to check it and then get feedback but I would still have to pay the same amount as getting a certificate so I'll try get it checked by a mechanic first, then if everything seems good to go, I'll see if I can buy it and then bring it to the engineering place.

But thank you, it did help a lot. Any more info would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by bboyzell View Post

Otherwise more than likely you would need to get a Mod Plate for the Engine to be installed in the car. which depend on what state you are in could range from $100-$1000+
    It was transplanted last year and never been registered to the car :S

Edit: I'm from Victoria.

Member Array
    Car:
    CivInteJazPreAc
    Quote Originally Posted by bboyzell View Post
    Most sensible option really

I was looking into that car too. Basically i asked if he could provide eng cert/rwc and he said no, end of story. There's a good reason why he didn't do it in the first place, costs too much. Not worth it.

The guys asking quite a bit for that car anyway, add it all up, could very well go over 10k for an EG... lol

lol
    KEEP IT VIET | KEEP IT JDM
    FaLL iN LoVe WheN YoU aRe ReAdY, NoT WhEN YoU ARe LOnEly

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    You know, deep down in your heart, that this is a very, very stupid idea.

how badly do you want the car and what do you want it for.

So pretty much everyone is against it?

I assumed that I would be spending an extra 1.5-2k to get it on the roads.. but I'm just concerned that it may cost more? The guy that currently owns it got the engine rebuild by my other friend last year. The one that rebuilt it says everything is all good but I'll bring the car back to him to check for me as he can do RWC's.

I want this car as my daily and eventually take it to the track (whenever the car and I would be able to).

Edit: I originally planned to buy an EG anyways as a daily but I wanted to in the future to put in a B18 engine in it anyways but I came across this one so I thought, why not? Since it's already done for me.

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    i would only pay for that for parts and engine swap to another EG or so.

Member Array
    Car:
    jdm b16a civic
    Fuk it mate don't buy someone else's problem