Exhaust options, explain for me please

Ok so at the moment i have stock exhaust system except for my magnaflow twin tip muffler which gives a nice note. On warmer days it can still sound a little raspy down low but sounds nice when you put the peddle down as the note is louder yet softer. On cold days though it always sounds nice must have something to do with the temp of the air obviously.

Anyway i'm thinking of doing something to the exhaust mainly catback. The things i was thinking are high flow cat with either 2.25" or 2.5" piping then you ditch the stock resonator or put another magnaflow one in too so what i want to know is these things:

1:will the high flow cat make much difference to sound and/or performance with the 2.25 or 2.5 piping?

2: should i just leave the cat as is and just do piping and maybe add or swap the stock resonator?

3: will the larger piping be much louder than my current setup that i will have to add another resonator or will it be fine just swapping the old resonator for new because i'm fairly happy with how loud it is at the moment but just am trying to get rid of the little bit of raspyness

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    A catalytic converter isnt part of the cat-back.
    When I got my high flow cat I noticed a small change in sound. Sounded more deep.
    Depends what do you want. By the looks of it sounds and not performance. So leave the cat. Add a different resonator if you wish. The stock one is very efficient at deadening sound.
    In terms of raspyness it could be many things Have you considered the exhaust material. Not just how its configured. E.g My gf has a boke she got a yoshimura muffler stainless steel and it sounds deep and rumble-y opposed to the tinny sounding titanium exhaust. I was suprised. I have a Titanium toda cat back on my car and it sounds way better than my friends stainless systems.
    Also resonators come in different shapes and sizes. Long to short, oval etc.

Best advice is to just get out there listen to and ask other Prelude owners. Because the main selling point is sound, and you cant convey that over the internet wih just reading posts.
    Last edited by DakDak; 08-05-2012 at 09:23 PM.
    Choke dealer

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    My recommendation ...
    2.5" mild steel or stainless (up to you) mandrel bend exhaust
    Hi flow cat
    Resonator (otherwise exhaust will be raspy and sound tinny)
    Muffler ( oval type for a less drone inside the cabin or cannon for loudness)

If you decide custom, go with magnaflow cat, muffler and resonator

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude ATTS
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXDEL501 View Post
    My recommendation ...
    2.5" mild steel or stainless (up to you) mandrel bend exhaust
    Hi flow cat
    Resonator (otherwise exhaust will be raspy and sound tinny)
    Muffler ( oval type for a less drone inside the cabin or cannon for loudness)

If you decide custom, go with magnaflow cat, muffler and resonator
    That setup seems familiar :P haha

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude ATTS
    I own a BB6 and i did hours and hours of research, if your not a member of Prelude Australia register there. There are heaps of threads on Ozhonda, Prelude Australia and Prelude Power (just to name some). It all comes down to what note you want from your car.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    don't skip out on resonators like me. i hate my sound
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    don't skip out on resonators like me. i hate my sound
    You must spread reputation before giving some to curtis again dang it lol

Member Array
    Car:
    MK6 Golf GTI
    I currently run stock headers, 200cell 2.25 cat, 2.25 b pipe with resinator and a 2.5 xforce oval twinloop! sounds great, deep in low rpm but in the high rpms it screams!
    Welcome Abourd

imo 2.25: mandrel bent and if budget allows hi flow cat.
    Muffler twin tip and resonators good quality so you do not get raspy sound.

then later get extractors and enjoy vtec