Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK

Turbo + D series = help

hey giys

so heres my story, I just got my fulls and was planning to go ahead with the B18c2 swap...atm im loving boost and not keen on any imports. I was looking on Ebay at cheap turbo Civic EK kits.

The question is will it do the job and running stock ECU still ?

will stock Motor and gear box handle it ....but running under 7psi ???

Insurance gonna hassle me ??

who can install it in sydney ? and the cost?

whats the engineering cost?

Its a D16y7 about 190k on the clock lol
    B-serious m8

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2R
    hey mate pretty sure BYP racing and developments would give u your answers , there located in sydney .

Member Array
    Car:
    Canon 5d
    hey derek, try this site and browse around before you buy any kits

http://www.d-series.org/forums/
    you're probably asleep right now but I love you and you're the most beautiful girl I met, inside and out. have a good nights sleep and I hope this puts a smile on your face when you wake up.

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM-derek View Post
    hey giys
    Generally the word 'cheap' should be shut down with a quick 'no'

It will do the job, but what job? Racing? Daily driver? Etc?
    You cannot use the stock ECU, unless you have it chipped for S300 or something.. AEM V2 EMS is always a nice option, plug and play EMS!
    Stock Motor will take it no problem, and the Gearbox will never have an issue.. But you might want to get a better clutch.
    Depends who you're with, NRMA doesn't care if my Accord is turboed.. But if you want to up the value, sometimes there is a cap (3.5x market value for me!)
    TODA, BYP, any decent mechanic.. Turbo kit's arent' hard to install it's the tuning that's vital.
    Perhaps $500? From what i've heard on these forums.
    190k? Practically brand new mate!
    It's not 4x4 status, think of it as "Winter Mode".

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM-derek View Post
    hey giys

so heres my story, I just got my fulls and was planning to go ahead with the B18c2 swap...atm im loving boost and not keen on any imports. I was looking on Ebay at cheap turbo Civic EK kits.

The question is will it do the job and running stock ECU still ?

will stock Motor and gear box handle it ....but running under 7psi ???

Insurance gonna hassle me ??

who can install it in sydney ? and the cost?

whats the engineering cost?

Its a D16y7 about 190k on the clock lol
    1. Stock ecu no, once u hit boost, the engine light will come on, an throw codes, so no, generally u will need atleast a piggy back ecu, or if money is stretched go full blown ecu
    2. Yes motor will handle fine, and gearbox, mates turbo eg has been running strong for over a year
    3. Insurance, probs yes if u tell em, since u will prbs need a engineers cert for the turbo kit to certified its deemed legal, any illegal mods they can void ur claim if u get into a accident
    4. As others have said, im from melb lol
    5. Usually around 500 - 1500, every workshop is different rates, call around, generally if ur running more power, u will need to upgrade ur brakes as well to pass engineers cert, but its all really down to the engineers

Any d-bangers are fine too boost, just know ur limit, though if it was me, 7 psi, max! id also upgrade the intake mani to a d16y8

Also consider running bigger fuel pump, injectors and exhaust to make the most of it

Im goin turbo at end of yr, still collect parts atm, ECU wise, for me, id go Greddy Piggy back, as theres few tuners an wont cost arm an leg, and PROVEN to be tuned fine and run safely
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    my mate wants to boost his eg5 using an ebay kit, but they have such bad rep on numerous honda forums we're a lil hesitant...

keep us posted...
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    1. Stock ecu no, once u hit boost, the engine light will come on, an throw codes, so no, generally u will need atleast a piggy back ecu, or if money is stretched go full blown ecu
    2. Yes motor will handle fine, and gearbox, mates turbo eg has been running strong for over a year
    3. Insurance, probs yes if u tell em, since u will prbs need a engineers cert for the turbo kit to certified its deemed legal, any illegal mods they can void ur claim if u get into a accident
    5. Usually around 500 - 1500, every workshop is different rates, call around, generally if ur running more power, u will need to upgrade ur brakes as well to pass engineers cert, but its all really down to the engineers

Any d-bangers are fine too boost, just know ur limit, though if it was me, 7 psi, max! id also upgrade the intake mani to a d16y8

Also consider running bigger fuel pump, injectors and exhaust to make the most of it

Im goin turbo at end of yr, still collect parts atm, ECU wise, for me, id go Greddy Piggy back, as theres few tuners an wont cost arm an leg, and PROVEN to be tuned fine and run safely
    Actually a stock Honda Map Sensor can read up to about 9.5PSI iirc of boost before it gets confused.
    So you 'can' leave the standard one in.

Quote Originally Posted by EG52NV View Post
    my mate wants to boost his eg5 using an ebay kit, but they have such bad rep on numerous honda forums we're a lil hesitant...

keep us posted...
    Most people write eBay off as junk before they bother trying it.
    Some of the eBay kits mimic more expensive ones, 'cheap copies' if you will.
    For the most part they're fine.. But items such as the BoV, Wastegate and Turbo are the important ones where quality is a must.. And with eBay you can't be certain of quality/lack thereof.

Buy the eBay kit, use it til it breaks.
    Replace the Turbo/BoV/Wastegate.. And you've still saved a bucketload of coin on Charge Piping, Intercooler, Oil Feed/Drain Lines, Turbo Manifold.. Etc
    Last edited by Jccck; 10-05-2012 at 12:46 PM.
    It's not 4x4 status, think of it as "Winter Mode".

how much power would that make

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post

Not sure if it's in every case, but I've seen a fair few turbo D's with standard ECU that doesn't throw codes.

Only mods are bigger pump, FPR, exhaust.

I know of one running fine for about 3-4 years now. Blown a gearbox in that timeframe but other than that, motor is still running strong seeing 6-12 pounds daily.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jccck View Post
    Actually a stock Honda Map Sensor can read up to about 9.5PSI iirc of boost before it gets confused.
    So you 'can' leave the standard one in.
    Stock ECU is smart enough to compensate for low psi forced induction? thats good to know!
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jccck View Post
    Buy the eBay kit, use it til it breaks.
    Replace the Turbo/BoV/Wastegate.. And you've still saved a bucketload of coin on Charge Piping, Intercooler, Oil Feed/Drain Lines, Turbo Manifold.. Etc
    And my mates theory is: if you blow you engine we've seen complete D series go for between $200-$600 on this forum so end of the day still cheaper then B series conversion.
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

theres no "BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH FKN HONDA VTEC DUMAAA" factor in turbo d series though..