Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfingers View Post
    theres no "BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH FKN HONDA VTEC DUMAAA" factor in turbo d series though..
    hahaha thats what I said to him but If he does go down the path turbo D series it will easily make more power than my B16
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    mhmm few good points guys...yeah i like the bwaaaaaaaaaa sound LOL
    B-serious m8

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by EG52NV View Post
    Stock ECU is smart enough to compensate for low psi forced induction? thats good to know!
    Well i'll explain it better.
    But the Stock ECU's unless chipped for Hondata or otherwise cannot control the Injectors, and if you've upgraded your Injectors you WILL run very rich because they're pulsing at the same rate with a much larger flow.
    So;
    Stock Map works til 9.5PSI approx.
    Stock Injectors work until your fuel needs exceed what they can offer.
    Stock ECU works ONLY if you can manage to keep standard Injectors.
    It's not 4x4 status, think of it as "Winter Mode".

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jccck View Post
    Well i'll explain it better.
    But the Stock ECU's unless chipped for Hondata or otherwise cannot control the Injectors, and if you've upgraded your Injectors you WILL run very rich because they're pulsing at the same rate with a much larger flow.
    So;
    Stock Map works til 9.5PSI approx.
    Stock Injectors work until your fuel needs exceed what they can offer.
    Stock ECU works ONLY if you can manage to keep standard Injectors.
    so what your saying is if we manage to install an ebay turbo kit to my mates EG, we'd be able to drive it around a bit on low boost but end of the day we should really get an ECU upgrade to match the forced induciton?
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 VTI
    Has anyone got an ebay turbo kit engineered in NSW? wondering how they go with the BOV etc. Is there anything in particular i should prepare to replace to obtain the certificate if i was to buy a kit?

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by EG52NV View Post
    so what your saying is if we manage to install an ebay turbo kit to my mates EG, we'd be able to drive it around a bit on low boost but end of the day we should really get an ECU upgrade to match the forced induciton?
    Yes, you would be able to do so fine.
    But to make the most out of it (Tuning is very important to unlocking power) you will need some form of programmable ECU.
    It's not 4x4 status, think of it as "Winter Mode".

Member Array
    stock map sensor can read up to 10.3 psi max.
    stock ecu will throw a engine light and go into limp mode after it sees a positive pressure above 5psi and then ur capped to a speed/rev limit until u restart the car then everything is back to normal.
    so get a chipped ecu or standalone with a basemap specific to ur setup, so u can drive it around.
    or u cccouuulddd drive around with stock ecu, but dont hit boost and stay in vacuum. but not safe to do because incase if u have to pull out from a intersection hard.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    the stock injectors will support up to 140kw. above that the duty cycle will be basically maxing out

if you are going to make more than 150kw consider replacing your head studs with ARP's. the stock head studs are prone to stretching once u past the 150kw level which will lead to a blown head gasket.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    Stock D-series map sensor can handle ~11.2psi.

Your stock ECU will be able to run boost - but you will encounter some hardcodes because it doesn't like positive pressure. But it doesn't really stop you from boosting.

Ebay kits are fine - it really depends on installation and tune in the end. Oh and of course if the item doesn't break on you during installation. :P

Make sure you get a catch can to relieve the crankcase of positive pressure or remove your stock PCV valve and just run a hose back into your intake, this way you should be alright to push it daily 5psi with everything stock (fuel pump, injectors). Get it tuned and it should last forever.

Like some others may of said, you can drive your car with a turbo on it with stock everything - but you'll be risking things if you're not careful.

I'd reccomend getting your ECU chipped and atleast run a basemap so atleast that way your safe to boost with the ignition/fuel maps adjusted to suit (retarded/richer) to compensate the conditions of positive pressure. Oh and more importantly, so you can save up for tuning gear or getting it tuned.

Goodluck!

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by honda_zivic View Post
    stock map sensor can read up to 10.3 psi max.
    stock ecu will throw a engine light and go into limp mode after it sees a positive pressure above 5psi and then ur capped to a speed/rev limit until u restart the car then everything is back to normal.
    so get a chipped ecu or standalone with a basemap specific to ur setup, so u can drive it around.
    or u cccouuulddd drive around with stock ecu, but dont hit boost and stay in vacuum. but not safe to do because incase if u have to pull out from a intersection hard.
    happened to a mate first day wen the turbo went in, limped it to the tuners hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by chongy View Post
    the stock injectors will support up to 140kw. above that the duty cycle will be basically maxing out

if you are going to make more than 150kw consider replacing your head studs with ARP's. the stock head studs are prone to stretching once u past the 150kw level which will lead to a blown head gasket.
    If ur aiming for 140kw its advisable to go for bigger fuel pump and at least minimum 300cc or bigger as tuners dont like to mess with maxing out injectors and fuel pump, and they will strongly recommend anyone to always upgrade stock injectors as standard is like 240cc or so
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 VTI
    rep added for a few of you guys, great advice!
    Last edited by Lanzamus; 19-07-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK civic
    I turboed my d16y4 with an ebay kit... has been fine......... if you want to get anything out of the turbo you should upgrade your ecu, get bigger injectors and fuel pump, ive being running 14psi (alot of timing taken out at top end) and increased my rpm limit to 8000, it has lasted 10, 000 ks and has been fine except the rings are on there way out... howeva if you flog the car enuf this is gunna happen.. all internals are stock and has been a very good car... GET A GOOD TUNE REGARDLESS OF COST.. hope this helped