Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    1998 EK4
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleuse View Post
    please, just dont do the conversion, you're obviously a ****ing retard.
    oh really? explain how.
    Wanted: Black EG6 or EF9.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by gnx1987 View Post
    I know the importance of having better brakes, but as far as the safety of road use goes it's under the assumption you're going to be doing something illegal. ie heavy and unnecessary acceleration or reckless driving.
    that's wrong to think like that.

speed limits for example, are set low because they know people will always exceed them

design speed for a road are always higher than the speed limit for an additional safety factor

questiong the need to upgrade brakes is liek questioning the need for posted speed limits
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

cause skinny brakes in big wheels look odd.
    MFactory Competition Products

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    not really. cause that would just be making the braking completely inadequate.

I'm not denying the importance of brakes but I suppose I've gotten too caught up on the type of car needing the brake upgrade.

I figure something like an ek4 with 4 wheel disc brakes wouldn't need a brake upgrade after a k20a conversion but i suppose something like a basic ed civic would need one
    ek4 has b16a (160hp), k20a is around 210hp or so, thats 50hp increase, and its roughtly 35% increase in power.

"NSW law actually requires that brakes be upgraded when engine power is increased by more than 15%, and an engineer's certificate must be provided as proof of adequate braking power." quoted from an sticky post
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...r-car-see-here

even you might not from NSW, but there is a requirement for it from one states, means it is important enough for you and other road use sake to have brakes upgrades for the extra power you gain

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 EK4
    Quote Originally Posted by connorling View Post
    ek4 has b16a (160hp), k20a is around 210hp or so, thats 50hp increase, and its roughtly 35% increase in power.

"NSW law actually requires that brakes be upgraded when engine power is increased by more than 15%, and an engineer's certificate must be provided as proof of adequate braking power." quoted from an sticky post
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...r-car-see-here

even you might not from NSW, but there is a requirement for it from one states, means it is important enough for you and other road use sake to have brakes upgrades for the extra power you gain
    if there was logic in laws we wouldn't be getting a carbon tax

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 EK4
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    that's wrong to think like that.

speed limits for example, are set low because they know people will always exceed them

design speed for a road are always higher than the speed limit for an additional safety factor

questiong the need to upgrade brakes is liek questioning the need for posted speed limits
    actually they're set low because most drivers have very basic driving skills.

not really. the need for speed limits is obvious. most people don't know the capabilities of their car and or are shit at driving and need to be told. questioning the need to upgrade the brakes on a street used car, is like questioning the need to put a scope on a pistol to improve accuracy. the logic doesn't make sense.

let's break it down. two identical cars with identical drivers one with 160hp the other with 200hp traveling at 60 kph. pedestrian steps out onto the road and both drivers jam on the brakes. will the more powerful one take longer to stop? I think not.

the only thing wrong with my logic is why would you make the car more powerful unless you were going to use it in which case you would need to upgrade the brakes.

Member Array
    Car:
    Vonda R
    Why don't you ask the coppers on their thoughts?
    SPAM|WERKS
    got you covered with a johnoroll

not really. the need for speed limits is obvious. most people don't know the capabilities of their car and or are shit at driving and need to be told. questioning the need to upgrade the brakes on a street used car, is like questioning the need to put a scope on a pistol to improve accuracy. the logic doesn't make sense.

let's break it down. two identical cars with identical drivers one with 160hp the other with 200hp traveling at 60 kph. pedestrian steps out onto the road and both drivers jam on the brakes. will the more powerful one take longer to stop? I think not.

the only thing wrong with my logic is why would you make the car more powerful unless you were going to use it in which case you would need to upgrade the brakes.
    If we only look at your case and therefore your logic ie braking from a constant speed, the only logical reason having upgraded brakes is to offset the increase in frontal weight.

HOWEVER - That's such a specific case that basically works for your argument its kinda silly to expect the rest of us to provide you a justification for a brake upgrade for just your scenario.

A proper scenario would view it from multiple angles. So under acceleration, constant low speed, constant high speed, etc would be the logical scenario to look at so when you view it from a broader more logical perspective, why wouldn't you upgrade your brakes to support the increased power, torque, acceleration, speed and sometimes weight.
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum

how often you are racing with other car at a constant speed? most of the time (on the road) you use ur full braking force when you are accelerating then suddenly brake, like i said before, the kinetic energy is greater as you accelerate, and the faster you accelerate, ie: more hp, then you have more kinetic energy, therefore require more force to brake.

how stubborn do you have to be to think upgrading ur brake for street use after 35% increase in hp is not necessary?

at the end of the day, getting a better brake pads will cost you ~$250 if you fit it urself.
    $250 will decrease your risk of crashing, then why not?
    Last edited by connorling; 12-05-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    k20 dc2
    oh really? explain how.
    this thread explained how.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000

erm, no, sometimes the road features are such that speed limits are set in place. I'm talking about road curvature in my particular example. A speed limit is set so that you are able to achieve a safe stopping distance before hitting a random object on the road.. The speed limit is set low knowing that there will be the whatever% that does exceed the speed limit.

Similarly to the swapping engines, you need to upgrade the brakes because they know that the engine will be pushed, and if you are pushing it from the lights (overtaking for exmaple), you'd be achieving faster speeds earlier than you would have before, hence the need for bigger brakes

it's called a safety factor

imagine this: a light turns green and u take off with WOT. 4 seconds later a kangaroo jumps out and you brake as hard as you can. On a stock engine you would have reached say 50 km/h (d13), but in your new engine (jdm d15b) you would have reached 80.

Your car (in this example) has 256% more kinetic energy than it did before and you'd need 2.56x the heat capacity of the brakes in order for you to stop
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

At the end of the day, your brakes are as good as your tyres.
    MFactory Competition Products