Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by senna View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to trism again.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to trism again.

This appears to also be a common problem...
    And yes, thermostat sounds like the answer... Make sure you get the right one though... there are different versions from what I've gathered... mine is not letting the car heat up as much... so it'll open much earlier... I'm told there is summer and winter versions, one opens before the other...

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I use a Bursons generic one in my Civic. Was about half the price of the OEM option (OEM was about $50). Just make sure you get a genuine rubber seal as some generic ones aren't properly shaped. Honda sells the seal separately to the thermostat if you want to go non-genuine.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    So with thermostats there seems like a few, but overall, there's about 6 or so different sizes, and then each size has a couple of different opening temps. Like 77, 82, 88 and 92 degrees.

As for winter and summer thermostats, only necessary in snowy countries like America or Europe.

If you find your car heats up easily, it might have a higher opening thermostat. Simple solution is put a lower one in it.

Or you've got the inverse of that.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    Only had a look at this thread again now, thanks for the responses trism and dougie... appreciated. It says i cant give you guys rep anymore so yeah ...

I'll call up my mech up tomorrow for a quote, but do any of you guys have a rough idea on how much it should cost?

No more than the price of a Bursons generic thermostat, a Honda rubber gasket and, new coolant (for the flush) and 1 hour labour at the most.

It is a very common failure spot. But the fact that the Original thermostat is designed to fail in open position rather than closed is good. A cool engine can still be driven reasonably safely. An overheating engine's got 5 minutes before some kind of damage.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Quote Originally Posted by eeko View Post
    Only had a look at this thread again now, thanks for the responses trism and dougie... appreciated. It says i cant give you guys rep anymore so yeah ...

I'll call up my mech up tomorrow for a quote, but do any of you guys have a rough idea on how much it should cost?

20 bucks for a thermostat, 5 for the gasket, and then probably a half hours labour. Might replace coolant at the same time, 35 bucks there, and depending on the condition of the hoses, the mechanic might want to change them also, another 80 bucks there.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    DIY it. Its honestly not hard at all. it learns you too ya know
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Good info here guys, tag added
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    Hey everyone just an update.. thanks to you guys i got my thermostat replaced and lo behold the car now warms up like any other and stays warm too at night... When the thermostat got pulled out my mechanic told me it was stuck open, so all the information provided by various members in the thread is valid! Oh and it got replaced with a oem honda thermostat.

Cheers again.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    good stuff

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Glad to hear. +1million to trism