Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

B18c2 swap into EG or EK?

I have tried searching and didn't really seem to come up with decent answers for my question..

why isn't there much people doing a B18 swap into a ek?

I am currently looking for a car to swap my b18c2 into, but i am trying to figure out which chassis i should go for..

from what i have researched:

EG:
    Basically a DC2, most things will bolt up to it, suspension, engine, interior.
    so most people go with a EG to convert,

EK:
    Apparently a lot harder and also a lot slower?
    Most parts do not bolt up from the DC2 like seats and suspension.
    looks a lot better IMO.

So i guess my question is, why is a B18 swapped EK so much slower as everyone says it is?
    why isn't many people doing EK swaps?
    Last edited by Joeey; 16-05-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    ek weighs a little more than eg.
    if you dont happen to find a fuel injected eg, it will be harder than the install into ek as you will need to change from carby to fuel injected. (some people dont think to convert from carby to efi)
    dc2 suspension parts on fit on the rear of the ek.

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    you can always save yourself the hassle and buy one already done.
    heaps of eg's and ek's for sale.
    pick what shape you like and your sweet

its not slower, its just not as fast.

EK has a couple kilos on the EG.

also something about the design similarity of dc2 (source of B18) and EG. EK is newer than the earliy DC2 might have slightly different chassis/wiring etc design. not clear on that one.

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfingers View Post

EK is newer than the earliy DC2 might have slightly different chassis/wiring etc design. not clear on that one.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    EG is nicer! Just wanted to put it out there. Never liked the EK...

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    EG is nicer! Just wanted to put it out there. Never liked the EK...
    alot of people feel this way lol

without an ek9 wing, eks have bony asses

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I just hate the angles. Everything JDM went a bit sharper/more angular late 90's early 2000's and IMO Honda stuffed it up.

EG has such a sexy smooth bod. Love it in frost white.

Engine swaps in EK are about as common as swaps in EG, only difference is i think not many people with swapped EKs showcase their car whereas people with EG take a lot of pictures and make DIYs on their swap since it's very easy. (but i could be wrong)

Swapping a B series engine into an EG chassis is very straightforward, pretty much if the car is 0bdI and the engine is 0bdI (pretty much the case for the popular b18c2VTIR swap into EG), most of everything is plug and play:
    - engine fits
    - loom fits
    - driveshafts fit
    - ECU plugs in
    - all mounts fit
    - power steering plugs up
    - exhaust fits
    So if you have a donor DC2 to take the engine out from you're pretty much set.
    Only thing you have to decide is whether you want airconditioning, even then you have the option of getting the crv bracket or using some EK4 aircon parts (more complicated way)

With EK you will need EK4 engine mounts and brackets, EK4 engine loom, possibly ek4 P/S pump, if engine is 0bdI then youll need a conversion harness for the ecu, etc. You can use some components from the EM1 but they're equally just as hard to find as EK4 parts.

IMO an eg chassis is a great way to start/learn if you're doing this yourself, but if you have the patience and a little extra cash i reckon go ek, they are a typical middle aged - old person's car so its easier to find a cleaner example for a good price. Its hard to find a clean unmolested non P plater lovingly taken care of EG nowdays haha
    team.gradeA

more smart. more safe. moreTEIN

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeey View Post

EK:
    Apparently a lot harder and also a lot slower?

Most parts do not bolt up from the DC2 like seats and suspension.

looks a lot better IMO.
    I personally like more modern-looking cars, so EK all the way for me. Ive always loved the EK9 over any EG. Personal preference.

EK is negligibly heavier, with a slightly stronger chassis and can be made to go just as fast as any EG

DC2 Recaro seats can be all to easily installed and there is plenty of suspension components out there form EK. Aftermarket support is just as good as EG
    くまくま━━━━━━ヽ( ・(ェ)・ )ノ━━━━━━ !!

I'm leaning towards the EK guys, just because it is really hard to find a unmolested EG to perform the swap on..

Also the EK is a lot more sexy,

I have found a EK with a B18C2 engine (not swapped yet) for $5.5k and he is even willing to throw the b18 in for me? like wth?
    deal sounds way too good to be true...
    whats your opinion?