Member Array
    Car:
    da9

whp and engine hp

can someone please explain kw, hp and whp. I know that a stock b18c does 127kw or 170hp. The car has done around 176k's so its not as mint. mods were IHE,IM, and S1cams. Dyno results were 105kw atw or 142hp atw. Are the output numbers right or lower than expected? I also want to know how to get the engine hp so I can compare it with the stock power?

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    All dynos are different so it might have just been a low reading dyno
    If your worried about the engine, do a compression test and a leak down test

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by maaaaark View Post
    can someone please explain kw, hp and whp. I know that a stock b18c does 127kw or 170hp. The car has done around 176k's so its not as mint. mods were IHE,IM, and S1cams. Dyno results were 105kw atw or 142hp atw. Are the output numbers right or lower than expected? I also want to know how to get the engine hp so I can compare it with the stock power?
    You cannot accurately work out the Engine HP based on the Wheel HP.
    To do so properly you would have to remove your engine, and have it placed on an engine Dyno.. Alot of screwing around.
    You're better off trying to find some information of how much WHP you should have at stock and go from there.

As far as B18C goes, i very very very much doubt it has 127kw at the Flywheel standard.
    And if your engine is healthy then 176,000 is nothing.
    IHE/IM/S1 Cams, not going to be much of a power gain anyways.
    Perhaps you should opt for an aftermarket ECU and have the car dynotuned while it's there?
    It's not 4x4 status, think of it as "Winter Mode".

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    Personally i think that's pretty reasonable, most cars loose up to 30% through the drive train...

As mentioned too, its hard to gauge accurately considering all dynos differ and there are so many variables like temperature, fuel quality, operator procedure etc

What would've been good is if the car was dynoed before the mods were done.

Also what JcccK said is right, without tuning those mods aren't giving their true potential
    OHSC

Member Array
    Car:
    da9
    Quote Originally Posted by senna View Post
    Personally i think that's pretty reasonable, most cars loose up to 30% through the drive train...

As mentioned too, its hard to gauge accurately considering all dynos differ and there are so many variables like temperature, fuel quality, operator procedure etc

What would've been good is if the car was dynoed before the mods were done.

Also what JcccK said is right, without tuning those mods aren't giving their true potential
    it was actually a swap.. the b18a made 77kw atw.

Member Array
    Car:
    da9
    im running a p28 chipped ecu with all the necessary mods worked out.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    Thats fine, but if you could've dynoed it with a stock b18c you would've had something to compare it to
    OHSC

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    How does it drive? Drive with ear muffs on before and after so you don't get confused by the noise changes. Then you can 'feel' how the car is different.

If it feels strong, don't worry. 105kw isn't bad anyway TBH. Do a compression test maybe? Dyno chart?

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    105 is a figure around 130-140 at the motor.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    da9
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    How does it drive? Drive with ear muffs on before and after so you don't get confused by the noise changes. Then you can 'feel' how the car is different.

If it feels strong, don't worry. 105kw isn't bad anyway TBH. Do a compression test maybe? Dyno chart?
    105kw is 142hp atw. so thats okay?

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Quote Originally Posted by maaaaark View Post
    105kw is 142hp atw. so thats okay?
    yeah mate its fine, like we have said, any worries do a compression test

If you need to do any more metrics converting, give this a go,

http://www.mr2ownersclub.com/converter.htm