Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bouncing off rev limiter with auto

I thought I'd give the K24 some exercise after pussyfooting around in town traffic for too long, so I ran a few sprints from first gear in the autobox's S mode. Getting the VTEC engaged always sounds awesome but unfortunately the engine bounced off the rev limiter twice. I didn't know the gearbox would hold the gear rather than shifting up and I was a bit slow to hit the upshift paddle.

Any possible damage from this? I would've thought the gearbox would upshift before redline in both D and S modes to stop the engine from blowing up, given the piston speeds at 7000rpm are crazy high.

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    I did this too today

I would also like to know

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Bouncing the rev limiter isn't especially good, nor is it really bad for the engine. I'm guessing the S mode is expecting you to change gears, so it wants to give you full manual, except then it notices that your too slow so it'll change gears for you. Something between full auto and manual I guess. Shouldn't do any damage to your engine though. Engine won't blow up because of something like that though, that's what the rev limiter is there for.

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Ok.. I'll be serious

It was a once off

The engine and gearbox, will be fine

In all seriousness

CU2?
    ive got a cl9 and ive lost count at the number of times ive bounced it off limiter lol
    youll be fine, honda engines arent easily breakable

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    you have damaged the flux capacitor in the motor,

pm me for a replacement

regards

sams vtec palace parts

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Also pm duc Nguyen for quality parts

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 03
    Lol. It's there for a reason so people who "forget" to change a gear to protect the.engine.

imagine of you had a manual you May forget to put the clutch in.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Euro, S15
    Cant believe these questions !! Geee put a skirt on!!
    What is popular is not always right. What is right is not always popular.

Its called a rev limiter for a reason. You can bounce off the rev limiter all day, its design so you don't blow up your engine.

Had an Alfa with a high-revving Twin Spark once and those things didn't take too kindly to bouncing off the limiter. Do it enough times and something would go bang... my main concern is the K24's high piston speed at redline because of the long stroke. A smaller B16 or K20 would probably tolerate it well though.

I would've thought the auto in S mode would hold the gear for longer than in D but still shift before the limiter.

Damn, gotta get me a new flux capacitor then, anybody got a 100 Jigawatt model? Must be able to hit 88 mph...

Hahaha what do you expect from an Alfa when its working. Do an auction search on how much an Alfa is worth at trade in - when the transmission is working.

The only time the Alfa is moving is when its driven off a cliff.

Alfa is owned by Fiat (Fix It Again Tony). Even though Fiat also owns Ferrari there is no transfer of technology from Ferrari to Alfa except for the reliability issues. I own a couple of Italian bikes and let me tell you when the Italians build wiring loom with all the same colour cables - it really gets you thinking!!
    Last edited by BigBen; 24-05-2012 at 07:55 AM.