Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

DIY Servicing: Required tools

Hi,

I want to buy some decent tools for home servicing, but don't know what tools are required for some jobs, i.e brake rotor and pad replacements.

At the moment i have:
    - Crappy socket set
    - Ratchet stands
    - Oil filter clamp

I was hoping people could put together a list of tools they use for certain jobs, that way i can start buying.

One thing i need is a trolley jack, i was going to buy the super cheap 2500kg one on special for $100. But then i noticed a lot of people are raving about the costco one, which i think is a 1,500kg alloy twin piston for $160. Then i came across this kincrome 3000kg low profile jack for $270 from East Coast Auto Spares: http://stores.ebay.com.au/East-Coast..._sid=300363005

What do people think? Which jack?

*imo* get a higher rating jack (3 ton is enough). dont want to cheap out on jacks.

You will also need a set of axle stands. again, good quality is the key here. I would also add a set of car ramps to the shopping list. nothing beats just driving up and having that height without all the dicking about.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    A nice set of ratchet spanners is very handy,and some quality sockets

also if you use Honda oil filters,an oem filter tool is great.No slipping or fuss

once you have used quality sockets, you will never go back to cheap stuff.

i recommend a set of 1/2" and 3/8" wrench/socket kit. that means you have pretty much any socket to get a nut off.

also look at your local repco store, they have 50% off sidchrome. im not sure what their prices are like, but if they price them anything like bunnings, then it isnt too bad.

also for working on old cars, you will want a set of bolt grips. without those you will be stranded if you ever round a nut. before i knew anything about those, i spent 8hrs on a ls400 (x3 persons) working with rounded nuts. once i bought them, i had them off in 10secs flat literally

Quote Originally Posted by sensei_ View Post
    also look at your local repco store, they have 50% off sidchrome. im not sure what their prices are like, but if they price them anything like bunnings, then it isnt too bad.
    i recommend a set of 1/2" and 3/8" wrench/socket kit. that means you have pretty much any socket to get a nut off.
    Thanks for that, i will pop down to repco tomorrow to check out the stock.

Should i get a metric or imperial set, or a mix of both?

I don't mind the total tools brand, they come with lifetime warranty and they will swap broken bits in store, as long as you don't mistreat them like using a normal socket on a impact driver. I also really like the moulded cases they come in (EVA foam i think, same as repco tools), the bits fit in real nice.

I also like the bahco 106 piece set, but i don't think you can get replacement bits if you break or loose them though.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bahco-106...ht_1512wt_1110

also for working on old cars, you will want a set of bolt grips. without those you will be stranded if you ever round a nut. before i knew anything about those, i spent 8hrs on a ls400 (x3 persons) working with rounded nuts. once i bought them, i had them off in 10secs flat literally
    I didn't know these existed, thanks a lot definitely worth having.
    Last edited by adamc11; 25-05-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Before i go into repco, could people tell me whether sidchrome torque wrenches are good?

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1>Crx Delsol
    Honda bolts and nuts are metric well should I say most cars are metric. But when you buy socket sets and all some gives you imperial too. Better off buying a kit with just metric sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by adamc11 View Post
    Should i get a metric or imperial set, or a mix of both?

I don't mind the total tools brand, they come with lifetime warranty and they will swap broken bits in store, as long as you don't mistreat them like using a normal socket on a impact driver. I also really like the moulded cases they come in (EVA foam i think, same as repco tools), the bits fit in real nice.

I also like the bahco 106 piece set, but i don't think you can get replacement bits if you break or loose them though.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bahco-106...ht_1512wt_1110.
    Metric is going to be sufficient for your day to day service, however imperial is nice to have when you have the odd nut that is neither a 12-13 and you may be able to get away with using an imperial piece.

bahco is another good brand. very precise and no nonsense honest tools. made in sweden if im not wrong, whereas sidchrome is taiwanese made (my dad swears that they just arent the same as the aussie made ones!)

as for torque wrenches, i havent used a sidchrome one before, but ive been wanting to get a good decent one. but these tools certainly add up when you want to buy the best possible.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 & SF5
    most my tools are sidchrome, kincrome, snap on.
    sidchrome tools are good but the new range are ok compared to their old range of tools
    kincrome tools pretty decent.
    snap on tool AWESOME.
    most of mine are lifetime warranted.

you might also want to check them out aswell.
    do a price comparison on them.
    also most of them come with lifetime warranty. if thats something you want double check with the seller.
    also check out the repco range. they also come with lifetime aswell.

3/8", 1/4" and 1/2" sockets. well i mainly use 3/8" and 1/2"
    in normal socket and deep sockets
    i know sidchrome does a socket set which has all 3 size wrench. i think its a 64 piece metric and AF kit. <----- might be worth it and handy to have.

Pilers - long nose, combination and multi grip
    Socket set
    Spanner set
    Screwdriver sets all sizes

or even just get a tool chest.

oil filter remover i have like 5 different kinds but the one i use most is
    http://di1.shopping.com/images/pi/1f...0x200-0-0.jpg?
    p=p1.da210e6d4d89aeeeee83&a=2&c=1&l=8055916&t=1010 29135621&r=8

jack and jack stands
    i personally go the 3000kg range - just a state of mind thing with safety

a 600mm long breaker bar is handy aswell.
    -=[BLACK Dc2]=-

EXE TRACK DAY 2014 PB 1:37.0

Member Array
    Car:
    Grocery getter
    Quote Originally Posted by sensei_ View Post
    once you have used quality sockets, you will never go back to cheap stuff.

these bolt grips mate

reckon the local repco/sca/bunnings will sell them or do i need to go to an independent tool shop?

also, i assume they come in different sizes?

and how much for a set/kit/individual?

cheers bud
    I don't even know anymore.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 & SF5
    with torque wrench sidchrome is good but any torque wrench is fine.
    if its a cheap one just dont chuck them on the floor.

i normally abuse my tools.
    and sidchrome, kincrome and snap on takes a beating
    -=[BLACK Dc2]=-

EXE TRACK DAY 2014 PB 1:37.0

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Teng got some nice socket sets also

and for torque wrench,try and get Snap-on