Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser

Knock Detector / defender

Gday Guys,

No sure how much usefull info on this forum will be on this topic however wanted to get a local perspective on this topic.

No doubt we all know that detonation (aka knock ping) is the biggest killer of our engines - especially when they involve 3rd party tuning, aftermarket parts and forced induction conversions.Any logical person will suggest to simply - Get the car tuned within its safe limits of detonation (have a few degress of ignition timing safety gap). However this wont protect against a rogue bad batch of fuel, or excess heat or a lean out situation where fuel will react sooner to detonation. In my eyes this is where a knock detector / defender is usefull. There are some units on the market that work off simple indication - (sensor mounted to block, processed by a electronic unit and then displayed on a gauge). Other units are actually piggy backed with your Ecu and 'intercept' & reduce you ignition timing values when knock is detected.

Here are some links i have found on some different units

J&S Safeguard interceptor (Intercepts timing values and changes depending on its knock detection - Stand alone unit)
    http://www.jandssafeguard.com/8ChInt...terceptor.html

Link G4 Knock Block (Very accurate - will only pair up with the Link ECU for closed loop knock detection - however does have a 0 - 5v output that a hondata ECU could interpret & refer to)
    http://www.linkecu.com/products/Tuni.../g4-knockblock

My Question is to anyone with any REAL experience out there is.
    * I own a small capacity 4 cylinder turbocharged engine. It has forged internals, loud exhaust very solid engine mount - IE it is noisy and does vibrate with engine rpm.
    * I do not have a factory knock sensor mounted on my block however i can retro-fit one to the front in a 8mm hole (aprox 3/4 of the way up the cylinder)
    * I run a hondata s300
    * Yes i do have a conservative tune (Low A/F, Low ignition timing - relatively speaking in regards to boost)
    * I only want this to protect against bad fuel or heat/lean out situations where fuel would detonate sooner then normal.

Would i be best off running a J&S electronics safeguard that is a standalone knock detection & timing retarder unit? or would it be better running the Link G4 knock block - useing the 0 - 5v output and wiring that to a hondata imput and selecting the timing retard function on the hondata ? Are there any other similar units on the market that are accurate (within reason) and can be setup to control ignition timing?

If i could get the more people the merrier to chime in would be great, as i have not seen any discussion on ozhonda yet about this topic

Thanks all !
    Last edited by Sexc86; 25-05-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    Light up with Lyle - Electrical / Communications / Instrumentation

can't see links.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexc86 View Post
    Gday Guys,

No sure how much usefull info on this forum will be on this topic however wanted to get a local perspective on this topic.

No doubt we all know that detonation (aka knock ping) is the biggest killer of our engines - especially when they involve 3rd party tuning, aftermarket parts and forced induction conversions.

Any logical person will suggest to simply - Get the car tuned within its safe limits of detonation (have a few degress of ignition timing safety gap). However this wont protect against a rogue bad batch of fuel, or excess heat or a lean out situation where fuel will react sooner to detonation.

In my eyes this is where a knock detector / defender is usefull. There are some units on the market that work off simple indication - (sensor mounted to block, processed by a electronic unit and then displayed on a gauge). Other units are actually piggy backed with your Ecu and 'intercept' & reduce you ignition timing values when knock is detected.

Here are some links i have found on some different units

links missing.

you sound like an ad.

what's going on in here?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    No Guys i was just giving some background info for the Noob's as no doubt people may want to refer to this in the future

Member Array
    Car:
    1994 CD Accord
    yeah dont think too many people have asked for this as FAQ

Member Array
    Car:
    Turbo 85 Civic
    What about th Link G4 KnockLink? It is a stand alone light which tells you when the engine is detonating and when to back off abit. Or do you want one which will automatically retard the timing?

Luke

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    if u use the same fuel that ur car was tuned on, and as u mentioned, u dont have a lot ot timing and plenty of fuel....

wats ur worry???

its obviously been tuned very safely to already compensate for exessive heat, and bad fuel.....

if ur really worried, speak to ur tuner...

p.s. how much power u making??
    and how much psi??? also wat engine???

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    The issue is - Either getting a bad batch of fuel, or having a over heat situation where the fuel will start to reach detonation at a sooner point then it usually would.

And no sorry I wont be revealing specific values in regards to my tune & setup.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    The issue is - Either getting a bad batch of fuel, or having a over heat situation where the fuel will start to reach detonation at a sooner point then it usually would.

And no sorry I wont be revealing specific values in regards to my tune & setup.
    if ur sooo secretive about ur setup n refuse to tell people, then y even bother posting on here for help???

go ask ur mechanic/tuner

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    This type of attitude really does not surprise me from ozhonda. I should have known better and stuck to the american forums. If you read mate you would realise the infomation i am asking about is generic and do not refer to my car/setup/tune etc.

To Keep it simple... again

What are some resonably accurate knock detectors out there and how should / could these be setup with a s300. eg Stand alone unit that processes timing retard with knock detection (J&S safeguard), or a indication unit that provides a 0-5v feedback and program the s300 react accordingly - reduce timing & Add fuel (Link Knockblock G4 etc)

get my drift ?

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    get my drift ?
    He said drift! He must have a Nissan Silvia.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-Turbo-3g-lude
    ^This guy set up a custom knock sensor with a warning light.. Perhaps ask him, it seemed to be a cheap and easy solution.
    It's not 4x4 status, think of it as "Winter Mode".