Threaded View

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser

Knock Detector / defender

Gday Guys,

No sure how much usefull info on this forum will be on this topic however wanted to get a local perspective on this topic.

No doubt we all know that detonation (aka knock ping) is the biggest killer of our engines - especially when they involve 3rd party tuning, aftermarket parts and forced induction conversions.Any logical person will suggest to simply - Get the car tuned within its safe limits of detonation (have a few degress of ignition timing safety gap). However this wont protect against a rogue bad batch of fuel, or excess heat or a lean out situation where fuel will react sooner to detonation. In my eyes this is where a knock detector / defender is usefull. There are some units on the market that work off simple indication - (sensor mounted to block, processed by a electronic unit and then displayed on a gauge). Other units are actually piggy backed with your Ecu and 'intercept' & reduce you ignition timing values when knock is detected.

Here are some links i have found on some different units

J&S Safeguard interceptor (Intercepts timing values and changes depending on its knock detection - Stand alone unit)
    http://www.jandssafeguard.com/8ChInt...terceptor.html

Link G4 Knock Block (Very accurate - will only pair up with the Link ECU for closed loop knock detection - however does have a 0 - 5v output that a hondata ECU could interpret & refer to)
    http://www.linkecu.com/products/Tuni.../g4-knockblock

My Question is to anyone with any REAL experience out there is.
    * I own a small capacity 4 cylinder turbocharged engine. It has forged internals, loud exhaust very solid engine mount - IE it is noisy and does vibrate with engine rpm.
    * I do not have a factory knock sensor mounted on my block however i can retro-fit one to the front in a 8mm hole (aprox 3/4 of the way up the cylinder)
    * I run a hondata s300
    * Yes i do have a conservative tune (Low A/F, Low ignition timing - relatively speaking in regards to boost)
    * I only want this to protect against bad fuel or heat/lean out situations where fuel would detonate sooner then normal.

Would i be best off running a J&S electronics safeguard that is a standalone knock detection & timing retarder unit? or would it be better running the Link G4 knock block - useing the 0 - 5v output and wiring that to a hondata imput and selecting the timing retard function on the hondata ? Are there any other similar units on the market that are accurate (within reason) and can be setup to control ignition timing?

If i could get the more people the merrier to chime in would be great, as i have not seen any discussion on ozhonda yet about this topic

Thanks all !
    Last edited by Sexc86; 25-05-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    Light up with Lyle - Electrical / Communications / Instrumentation