Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New owner of 1997 Integra VTI-R (a couple of problems I've noticed)

Hi there. I recently just got a 97 VTI-R Integra. A few things I noticed with the car.

The tacho seems to jump around. At low speeds it's solid, but 60-100 it's jumping. Do I need a new gauge or is there a problem elsewhere?

My temperature gauge seems to go down the more I drive the car. So when it's hot, the car says it's cold. At first I was afraid I had no coolant, but it has plenty. Could this also be a gauge problem, or as I read on here, maybe it needs a new thermostat.

Also, the biggest issue is the when shifting from 1st to 2nd, if I don't do a super careful clutch release, I feel this vibration and thump kind of noise. If it's an engine mount that needs replacing, is this super labour intensive, or should any shop be able to swap it out without too much hassle?

Thanks all.

Member Array
    Car:
    Canon 5d
    Change your thermostat.

Not sure about Vtir mounts, but most mechs should be able to do it, labour would cost an easy 2-300 not including mounts. Get someone reliable to do your mounts, a lot of dodgy Kents out there.
    you're probably asleep right now but I love you and you're the most beautiful girl I met, inside and out. have a good nights sleep and I hope this puts a smile on your face when you wake up.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1>Crx Delsol
    Yeah what simmy said. Got a couple of mates with their dc2s not warming up well. The thermostat is stuck opened. So its not closed during cold starts for the engine to warm up but instead its always flowing through the radiator. I had an em1 before rear mounts and side mounts were rooted. Hard acceleration I believe. OEM mounts are good enough for daily use no need for hasports or anything.

With the tacho problem, i'd get a mate with a cluster and just do a quick swap to test. Most likely it's not the cluster but better to try that before forking out for something more exxy. If the problem's still there, then i'd be looking into the dizzy. Same shit, get a mate with a dizzy, swap it, adjust timing and test.

Defs change thermo for the other problem as mentioned, dc2 thermos fuk up more than ben cousins.
    KEEP IT VIET | KEEP IT JDM
    FaLL iN LoVe WheN YoU aRe ReAdY, NoT WhEN YoU ARe LOnEly

Thanks guys for the replies.

I can change the thermostat ok myself, unless this is a car that is a pia to get to.

I have the car booked in to see a mechanic today about the engine mount issue. Hopefully will hear back if that is indeed the problem, or it's something else.

As for the tacho issue, I don't have any friends who have Integras so doing a swap isn't an option. I did have a read of the DIY Ignition Control Module (ICM) Replacement. If this is what needs doing, I can handle that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KoolMonkey View Post
    Thanks guys for the replies.

I can change the thermostat ok myself, unless this is a car that is a pia to get to.

I have the car booked in to see a mechanic today about the engine mount issue. Hopefully will hear back if that is indeed the problem, or it's something else.

As for the tacho issue, I don't have any friends who have Integras so doing a swap isn't an option. I did have a read of the DIY Ignition Control Module (ICM) Replacement. If this is what needs doing, I can handle that as well.
    Thermo's not in the best spot. Chances of dropping a screw/nut/bolt is likely imo if you're clumsy so you might wanna have one of those magnetic long metal things on hand. Shouldn't be too bad though, just remove intake and stuff above it

I don't recommend opening up the dizzy and putting in a new ICM. They're exxy, round $100 for aftermarket, 200+ for OEM last i checked. Might as well buy a second hand dizzy that works for $50, plenty around.

Quote Originally Posted by charliebrown View Post
    Thermo's not in the best spot. Chances of dropping a screw/nut/bolt is likely imo if you're clumsy so you might wanna have one of those magnetic long metal things on hand. Shouldn't be too bad though, just remove intake and stuff above it

I don't recommend opening up the dizzy and putting in a new ICM. They're exxy, round $100 for aftermarket, 200+ for OEM last i checked. Might as well buy a second hand dizzy that works for $50, plenty around.
    Ah yes I got one of those long magnetic thingies on hand. Hmm I didn't realise the ICM cost that much. I'm going to the wreckers tomorrow for my other car, so will grab a dizzy if I can find an Integra. When you mean second hand dizzy, are you referring to just the chip thing itself ie. the ICM, or the whole distributor cap thing including the ICM. Heck if someone has a working dizzy for $50 I'm interested.

As for the engine mounts, it looks like the rear one is completely severed, so that would explain the engine movement I feel when shifting, down shifting or being in too high a gear with low revs. Also the front left one I was told needs replacing too as there is movement. I can replace that myself I think as it's right there with minimal things to move out of the way. As for the rear, I've been given a quote of $200 labour to replace it. I might have a crack this weekend, but if it's too hard for me to get to, I'll get it done. Will need to make some calls to get exact prices on mounts, but it's ranging roughly from $80 to $130 depending on which one and from whom.

Is it worth grabbing any second hand mounts if I'm already at the wreckers and can get em cheaply?

Ah yes I got one of those long magnetic thingies on hand. Hmm I didn't realise the ICM cost that much. I'm going to the wreckers tomorrow for my other car, so will grab a dizzy if I can find an Integra. When you mean second hand dizzy, are you referring to just the chip thing itself ie. the ICM, or the whole distributor cap thing including the ICM. Heck if someone has a working dizzy for $50 I'm interested.

As for the engine mounts, it looks like the rear one is completely severed, so that would explain the engine movement I feel when shifting, down shifting or being in too high a gear with low revs. Also the front left one I was told needs replacing too as there is movement. I can replace that myself I think as it's right there with minimal things to move out of the way. As for the rear, I've been given a quote of $200 labour to replace it. I might have a crack this weekend, but if it's too hard for me to get to, I'll get it done. Will need to make some calls to get exact prices on mounts, but it's ranging roughly from $80 to $130 depending on which one and from whom.

Is it worth grabbing any second hand mounts if I'm already at the wreckers and can get em cheaply?
    Not sure how much wreckers charge but yeah i usually just ask the guys wrecking the same car/engine. Most people will let it go for peanuts. By dizzy i mean the whole thing. Unbolt and unclip old one, mark position of rotor button and chuck new one on. Adjust timing to make sure.

Just make sure you're buying from a trustworthy seller or somewhere you know you will be able to return it no fuss. I bought a shagged one, seller wouldnt refund and i didnt think it was worth going to his house making a mess for $50.

Mounts aren't that expensive, might as well go brand new and have peace of mind they won't shag up anytime in the near future costing you more in the long run.

I got the rear engine mount fixed today. Got one from Burson's for $80 and found a place that installed it for $160. Pretty happy with the results. I don't think the top left mount needs replacing now as I can't feel any movement of thuds.

Now to get the new thermostat installed which I'll do myself, and then try and tackle the dizzy/icm/bouncing tacho issue. I'm thinking maybe I'll take it apart clean it and see if it makes any difference.

yeah thermostat is a common re-occurrence on dc2s. I think I've gone through 3 in my 11.5 years of owning my teg
    blah blah blah

Member Array
    Car:
    Nonda Tiburon
    all pretty common issues with the b series intergras

hows the gear changes between 1 and 2 now that you have replaced the mounts?

may also want to look into your clutch and synchros given the age of the car
    ..OzHonda Spam Crew..
    ..We Welcome You Abourd!..

DC2R/DC5R Parts for SALE!

Account Disabled Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunkymonkey View Post
    yeah thermostat is a common re-occurrence on dc2s. I think I've gone through 3 in my 11.5 years of owning my teg
    I got the rear engine mount fixed today. Got one from Burson's for $80 and found a place that installed it for $160. Pretty happy with the results. I don't think the top left mount needs replacing now as I can't feel any movement of thuds.

Now to get the new thermostat installed which I'll do myself, and then try and tackle the dizzy/icm/bouncing tacho issue. I'm thinking maybe I'll take it apart clean it and see if it makes any difference.
    you guys related?