Apparently the BAR of Jenson Button was examined by stewards following the Imola race and was found to be underweight. When weighed immediately after the race, the car was above the minimum weight limit. A further random spot check, whereby the fuel is drained from the car, resulted in the car being UNDER the minimum weight. Regulations state that fuel may not be used as ballast ... therefore technically the car was illegal.

After hearing an explanation and seeing subsequent documentation from BAR representatives, the stewards cleared the BAR ... BUT the FIA have appealled the stewards decision and the matter will go before the International Court of Appeal in May. This means that JB could lose the 3rd place ... and who knows what else could happen if it is discovered that BAR have been doing this for more races.

Pitpass.com is reporting that a 'secret' fuel tank was found onboard the BAR also. This means the car could do long stints and run underweight during the race, then at the final pitstop be topped up to ensure a valid minimum weight at the end of the race.

If this is true then I am VERY VERY disappointed and will lose a huge amount of respect for Honda and BAR. This is the kind of work I would expect from Toyota (who have been exposed as cheats in the past) but certainly not Honda. There is some possibility that this may be the work of BAR and not Honda, but with Honda being 45% owner of the team and having engineers working on the chassis as well as the engine ... I don't see how they could not have known about it.

Sochiro will most certainly roll over in his grave if this is true...