Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Account Disabled Array
    I've had this problem.

My driveshafts have the plates too and I believe they are the stock oem shafts.

I was changing front forks and it popped out.......

couldn't get the khunt back in unless the drive boot was off. The plate is rectangular and only goes in a certain way.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6
    Its an EG manual and covers all D & B series engines

As I said, I have measured 6 different shaft fully compressed and they are all the same and they had double orange, blue and white stripes so no difference.
    The only difference I did find on one of the shafts with the double orange band was that the shaft was thicker. I think this was an teg trye R but it was the same length, same number of splines just a thicker shaft

The issue is that something is out of alignment and the standard shaft doesnt have the tolerances to deal with it.

My car is an EG6 shell so should be all good for the B16 engine. Not sure where the engine is from. I think its a B16A from an EK9??

From my searching, there has been a good few cases of drive shafts popping out of the cup but noone had pip pointed the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mocchi View Post
    4wd? are you looking at eg/dc manual?
    d16a9 engine, concerto?

i think youre trying to use driveshafts from other cars, trying to mix match
    hence the issue.

i never see any driveshaft popping out from b16a swap in eg.
    where does this engine come from?

are you trying to use driveshaft the donor engine?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6
    The way I read the manual, the measurement is used to get the neutral position of the spider bearings within the cup and then you fix the boot when the bearings are in position.

If you could measure would be great and let me know the cup length and what colour bands.

When we have all this info on shafts I think we should get a sticky up on it. Thanjks

either way, did you measure the length of driveshaft like in manual?
    i can measure my spare for you if you need it

my spare is from honda integra dc2r '99
    i can measure it when fully compressed so we can compare

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Honda View Post
    Its an EG manual and covers all D & B series engines

As I said, I have measured 6 different shaft fully compressed and they are all the same and they had double orange, blue and white stripes so no difference.
    The only difference I did find on one of the shafts with the double orange band was that the shaft was thicker. I think this was an teg trye R but it was the same length, same number of splines just a thicker shaft

The issue is that something is out of alignment and the standard shaft doesnt have the tolerances to deal with it.

My car is an EG6 shell so should be all good for the B16 engine. Not sure where the engine is from. I think its a B16A from an EK9??

From my searching, there has been a good few cases of drive shafts popping out of the cup but noone had pip pointed the issue.
    so you bought the car as a shell only no engine?
    eg6 should come with b16a from factory.

ek9 comes with b16b from factory.
    we need complete history of car & engine to brainstorm what might be causing this issue.

is this your first time running this car
    or it was fine before and you're trying to replace driveshaft

how about you measure from cup to cup fully compressed
    and ill do the same then we compare?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6
    The plates make it very hard to get the bearings into the cup. Its a balls. It took me about 10mins on the bench the other night to get them lined up right so good luck to anyone trying to get it into a cup alrady on the gearbox

Quote Originally Posted by ericl33 View Post
    I've had this problem.

My driveshafts have the plates too and I believe they are the stock oem shafts.

I was changing front forks and it popped out.......

couldn't get the khunt back in unless the drive boot was off. The plate is rectangular and only goes in a certain way.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6
    Yes, bought the EG6 shell and the engine was seperate but its a B16A so not sure whats its out of.

No, I ran the car in the Kuitpo forest rally last September. I got 18km into the 19km first stage and on a really rough section, the back got away from me and I was on full lock and the drive shaft came out of the inner cup on the passanger side and game over.
    I got it home (on a trailer) and took out the shaft and it sat like that for a good few months.
    So I knew there was an issue but I only got back to it a few weeks back and I needed to get it going so that I could put it through regency as a dedicated rally car so I just got another stock driveshaft and inner cup and put it in. I drove it around the block and it seemed fine and I taught it would only be an issue during competition and not normal driving. I drove down the road and turned left onto a main road with a little speed and there was a bang and loss of drive. Again the damn drive came out of the inner cup.

So I got it home and on the lift and had a look. I measured the the rear tow point to the lower ball joint nut on the bottom of the driver side knuckle and then to the same point on the passanger side and the passanger side was 20mm set back towards the rear. So I taught this might be the problem, I changed out the LCA with another and it brought the ball joint back inline with the other side. I was sure this was the problem.
    This is when I put in the standard shaft with the longer cup as per the photos about with no grease and boot so I could see where the bearings sat. So as in the photo, the bearings are past the end of the cup which cant be right. So there must be something else wrong.

There doesnt seem to be any stress on any of the engine mounts so it seems like the engine is in the right position so it must be the driveshaft is extended because the knuckle/hub is further away from the gearbox because of XXXX. Its the XXXX that I cant put my finger on. aaagggghhhhh

so you bought the car as a shell only no engine?
    eg6 should come with b16a from factory.

ek9 comes with b16b from factory.
    we need complete history of car & engine to brainstorm what might be causing this issue.

is this your first time running this car
    or it was fine before and you're trying to replace driveshaft

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6
    Hi Mocchi,

were you able to take those measurements??

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Hi Mocchi,

lol sorry m8 i forgot
    ill take it tonight.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Account Disabled Array
    Hi Mocchi,

LOL

forever_garage, too busy with his kdwap

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6
    Ok, an update if anyones interested.
    It turned out that my front subframe was bent.
    It wasnt obvious until I took it of. The front legs of it were 20mm wider then they should be.
    No idea how it got out that far as I had the bar across the top of the subframe.
    I believe that it was bent before I got the car and then the few bangs it got during the rally pushed it over the edge.
    So with the extra spread, it was pulling the drive out of the cup.
    When I changed the subframe, the drive shaft on the passenger was 12.5mm more into the cup on that side and 10mm on the drivers side.
    Had it out over the weekend and all sorted now. What a dose