Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK Si '98

Bridgestone RE002 vs. Yokohama S Drive?

Hi guys,

Any recommendations or experiences you can share on a Bridgestone RE002 vs. a Yokohama S Drive?

I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Proceda Sport 2, but unfortunately they don't make the new Pilot 3 in the 205/50/15 size (I'd have to go back to the stock 195/55/15).

Any opinions, just shout 'em out!

Cheers,
    Alvis
    HONDAOEMMUGEN

JDM/Mugen inspired EK sedan build thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ss-pics/page34

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    Preceda's one of the best tyres made by Michelin considering it's meant to be a midrange performance tyre below the Pilot sport range. Very refined, quiet, predictable, plenty of grip wet and dry and doesnt lose much grip over its life unlike many others.

Bought a set of S drive for our dc2r 4 years ago and been regretting the purchase ever since. S drive not even close to the performance of KU31 let alone the new RE002.

The grip even in the dry was so below par that I no longer enjoy pushing the otherwise well handling stock dc2r around corners.

Evo magazine did a tyre test few years back and it finished dead last and the only thing good about the tyre is the low noise and low rolling resistance which I fully agree.

Unless you are seeking fuel econ and low noise and you like your tyres to grip hard, AVOID.

Pretty old design too ie they came out before the RE001 and the tread pattern looks like a copy of the now superceded b/stone G III with more grooves/sipes on the tread blocks. Reviews of Re002 from this and other forums suggest it's a decent improvement over the RE001 so to answer your question Re002 it is.
    Last edited by EG30; 05-06-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    i had RE002 on my dc2r.. i loved them.
    real grippy tyres. cant really say anything bad about them.

Account Disabled Array
    isn't the S drive the predecessor to the ES100's?

if so, S drive any day......

in saying that, I've never used them, used the ES100 though and it was very good both wet and dry.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK Si '98
    Thanks very much guys, great to hear your thoughts leaning to the RE002; but what is the difference between the RE002 and the RE11?

link: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Si...0-15-Tyres.htm
    HONDAOEMMUGEN

JDM/Mugen inspired EK sedan build thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ss-pics/page34

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK Si '98
    I think I found my answer for anyone who else is interested:

"Overall Test Results Highlighted:

WRX's :

Bridgestone RE002 : Neutral Handling, Great Grip, Very Little Road Noise
    Dunlop SportMaxx : Slightly Better Feedback, Slightly Less Grip, I nconsistent feel, Alot of Road Noise
    Michelin Pilot Sport : Decent Level of grip, Tendancy to feel the car wanted to oversteer more, very quiet.

PDF at bottom of review as well... although it is from Bridgestone themselves, but still the tests seem to back up their claims: http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/i...owtopic=493484

Sounds like a goer... so far best price is from Jax $205 and get one free if you buy four - good deal??
    HONDAOEMMUGEN

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
    Thanks very much guys, great to hear your thoughts leaning to the RE002; but what is the difference between the RE002 and the RE11?

link: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Si...0-15-Tyres.htm
    RE11 is a trackable street tyre with chunky tread blocks and heavily reinforced sidewalls at the expense of ride quality and noise. Other tyres in the same category include AD08, KU36, Dunlop D1 ( new D2 just released ), RE11A ( RE11 update ), Hankook RS2/3, R1R etc.

Pics of our RE11 tyres ( 205 45 16 ) next to the S drives (195 55 15 )

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Price of a set of RE11 landed would be around $850-900 from tirerack.com plus fit and bal; vs $615 for the deal from jax ( presumably fitted and bal ). Fair bit of difference in % and $300 odd in absolute terms. Gripwise there will be big difference between the two; with the RE11 making car lot more chuckable than the RE002.

Scans of the Evo tyre test I scanned few years back and posted on this forum many times:

Last edited by EG30; 05-06-2012 at 11:24 PM.

RE11 are same level as that of the AD08, Z1 Star Spec, etc...

They're the softest street tires around and the highest level of grip for street tires.

They do sacrifice lifespan and potential other things like road noise etc for absolute grip.

RE002 are just performance street tires, better grip than average tires but still retain most of the good passenger tyre attributes [quality ones do anyway].

There is no contest in grip and performance, the RE11 will walk all over the RE002...

Also don't get confused with the RE11S, those are Semi-Slicks which are replacing the RE55S
    Last edited by DreadAngel; 06-06-2012 at 02:02 AM.
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK Si '98
    Thanks again EG30 and DreadAngel, appreciate your thorough responses

It sounds like the RE002 would be perfect for my little D16 - a quality tyre that is both street-grippy and street-comfortable

+1 rep
    HONDAOEMMUGEN

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 DC2R
    Most tyre places will let u noe that the re002 aren't good in the wet. Places I went to are drifters/track enthusiasts and all said the same thing, the re002 randomly snap and lose traction in the wet. Mates got em in his car, there fine all round, but i wouldn't be a smartass in the rain with them. Wet grip isnt tat great
    3 guys walk into a bar. The first guy told the D to get a B series.The second guy told the B to get a K series. The last guy told the K to fk off just get a V8 mate.

Account Disabled Array
    nitto?

the ones Taleb tires are selling?

I would consider them next.

From personal experience..agree RE002 not that great in the wet....they are an ok all round tyre (have them on my crx with b series)....I prefer my dunlop sport maxx on my dc2 as an overall....having said that..it's just for a d series so should be fine....that reminds me we did have the RE002 on our d series civic before it got written off....again it was ok lol....
    blah blah blah