Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK Si '98
    Off memory, didn't the EM1 come from factory with Dunlop SP Sport tyres (195/55/15)?

Any thoughts on the SP tyre?

And how come no one uses P6000s?
    HONDAOEMMUGEN

JDM/Mugen inspired EK sedan build thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ss-pics/page34

Quote Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
    Off memory, didn't the EM1 come from factory with Dunlop SP Sport tyres (195/55/15)?

Don't think the EM1 came with dunlop sp sport maxx's. These tyres only been around the last few years. Before the sport maxx's you had the Dunlop Direzzas and a long time before that you had the FM901s which were awesome in their hey day....

as for why no one uses P6000s....maybe price?

I don't mind spending more money on tyres, brakes and sussy but that's my preference.....everyone has their own budget...

Yokies I've not looked at recently mainly because of the cost compared to other similar spec tyres from other brands, plus it's been a while since I needed tyres lol
    blah blah blah

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK Si '98
    I agree - everyone has their budget. But you can do all the mods in the world and they'll count for nothing if your tyres are rubbish imo.

For the street, the RE002s might not be the absolute best, but for a D they seem like a good compromise between performance, comfort and quality.

But in saying that I would buy Michelin's again without a doubt... 25,000kms and still a bit in them which isn't too bad with spirited driving... just don't want to go back to a 195/55/15
    HONDAOEMMUGEN

JDM/Mugen inspired EK sedan build thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ss-pics/page34

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvis View Post

When the EM1 as new the Dunlops it came with was only some very ordinary SP something something tyres; SP it's the family/series name like the potenza range in B/stone speak Or Eagle in Goodyear speak.

The premium range of Dunlop SP sport maxx, sport maxx GT+TT range starts at larger sizes than yours ie 18"+ for the Maxx GT range and 16+ for the old style sport maxx. In 205 50 15 the most performance orientated one from Dunlop is the Direzza 101 which is a pretty good tyre but getting bit long in the tooth ie came out in Jp in the early 2000s and many good value performance tyres had came onto the market in the last 5 years for less $. Couple with the fact that Dunlop ( along with Goodyear ) tyres dont get well discounted as often and as much as other major brands. Now and then at the Goodyear tyre centres they offer 4 tyres for price of 3 for Goodyear and Dunlop tyres but I dont find that dinkum of a deal ie you pay 3x full rrp and also the fitting and bal is on top for the 4th tyre.

Very few ppl would use P6000 in our cars in our sizes ( 14, 15" ) cos they are almost ancient relics!

They came out in the mid 90s as a replacement for the P600, huge improvement and pretty good all round tyre for comfort, noise, grip and durability and well suited to Euro cars at the time ie W124, W210 Mercs or E34, E36, E39 BMWs with 60 series profiles. It's a sport touring tyre and not a performance tyre and for what it is still good. But for the price of them they are dearer than KU31 with less grip in say 195 50 15 that are often discounted to $105 or so fitted each, and in 14" say 185 60 14 tyres like A drives are better and cheaper.

They are meant to be replaced with the P6 a few years back and the Pirelli au site stop listing the P6000 long ago and yet you still see the tyre being offered by many tyre outlets from time to time mostly on specials.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK Si '98
    Thanks EG30, yes, I remember when I bought my EM1 rims the guy said they were the original tyres because he changed his over and they were the Dunlop Sport - must have been the SP spec

Wow, I didn't know the P6000 was so old! Was probably good in its day, but I guess the game has moved on. You really know your tyres!

My local Michelin rep told me today to also look at the BF Goodrich G Force, as he said that's also made by Michelin; but after just doing a simply Google search many people seem unhappy with the noise levels from the tyre <http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Revie.../g-Force+Sport>, so even though it might be made by Michelin not something I'd consider as I'm not after a noisy tyre. Obviously he's just promoting what he sells.

Well, I'll get some prices over the next week and let you guys know what prices I can get
    HONDAOEMMUGEN

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    Refraining from mentioning the G force sport as they are neither good at anything nor cheap; as well as the fact it's such an old tyre I expect them to be phased out by now.

Bought a set of BFG G force back in 2005/6 when my EG was still running the zc engine; back then there wasnt much choice ie..

Re001 wasnt out yet, B/stone only had the GIII which I wasnt keen on the tread flex for this car and the flagship tyre S03 didnt come in 205 50 15 anymore let alone in 195. Had a horrid exp with the Toyo Gu Wn's ie hugely noisy and vibration problems so I wasnt game to try the T1S/T1R range.

So it was between that and the DZ101 and I chose the BFG due to the Michelin link; I paid $140 or so fitted which was pretty good price at the time in 2005/6. Precedas just came out and they were $220 or so each and not knowing how good the preceda's were I couldnt justify the huge % difference in price.

The noise/drone can get annoying at certain speed ranges and the noise only got worse as they got worn. Ppl whinge about re001, conti csc1/2/3, re050 being noisy....they havent been using G force sport.

Switched to Re001 as soon as they were release and good improvement in every department and price I paid was around $135 each, re001 did have a vooooooo-ing hummm upon decel under brakes at certain speed range but as they wore down that disppeared.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by EG30; 07-06-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    B20+VTEC+SNAIL
    Quote Originally Posted by EK1 Civic View Post
    Most tyre places will let u noe that the re002 aren't good in the wet. Places I went to are drifters/track enthusiasts and all said the same thing, the re002 randomly snap and lose traction in the wet. Mates got em in his car, there fine all round, but i wouldn't be a smartass in the rain with them. Wet grip isnt tat great
    Really? i throw my RE002s into corners in the wet pretty hard. Hold up extreamly well.
    B20VTECTURBO-Built by ZeForce powered by proECU

Wet weather performance is quite subjective as it has a lot to do with the way you corner and work the pedals & gears. If you're very smooth, you're able to 'lean' on the tires more to the edge of adhesion, however if you're quite abrupt, the tires will relinquish their grip very quickly or snap even as described above. My RE001s were better than the C-Drives in the wet overall, the RE002 meant to be improved in the wet compared to the RE001 =)

I've also seen these classified as Summer Tires too, if that's the case then you can't expect that much from their wet performance... I thought they were All-Season tires tbh hahaha
    Last edited by DreadAngel; 10-06-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    CBF reading any other posts, but I thought I'd give my input.

Been running Dunlop Direzza Z1 star specs in 235/45/17 on my car for a few months. Just put on brand new RE002 225/45/17 on the same wheels. Havnt driven the car hard at all, but noticed so far the really good street comfort from these adrenalins compared to the Z1 SS! absorbed bumps so much better then the previous tyres.

Having said that, I'll still go back to Direzzas haha

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK Si '98
    Decided to go with the RE002s - got them fitted and balanced yesterday.

Initial thoughts on first few ks are a little harder ride than the Pilot Preceda 2's I had on there before (notice the bumps a touch more), but somehow they feel more planted - maybe it's just the harder ride making me feel that... not sure yet, haven't really really pushed them too hard.

And for some reason, they seem to bulge out more at the bottom when you look straight down at the tyre compared to the Michelins I had on before...?
    HONDAOEMMUGEN