Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2012EuroLux Nav

Rusting Sun Roof Frame

I have a 2003 Honda Accord Euro, allways been garaged, and I noticed on my frame that holds the glass for the sunroof, has started to rust badly. Its in the front of the frame, where they have welded it together.
    Is this a common problem, I think a new sunroof is going to be expensive.
    Photos here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Right Side.jpg 
Views:	765 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	22109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Left Side.jpg 
Views:	700 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	22110  

Account Disabled Array
    2003, holy shit...

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    R32 Skyline
    That is really bad for a newish car. Take it to a panel beaters and ask how much it will cost to cut it out and fix. I think it will be expensive though.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2012EuroLux Nav
    Quote Originally Posted by white_ep3_civic View Post
    That is really bad for a newish car. Take it to a panel beaters and ask how much it will cost to cut it out and fix. I think it will be expensive though.
    Its not really a Panel Beating Job.
    Its the frame that the glass sits in. So its really just a replacement.
    Definitely a manufacturing fault as its rusted where the weld is in both corners.

Pull it out and clean it up with a wire brush to see how bad it is. If it cleans up rust free u can repaint the affected areas. It was not protected correctly exposing metal.
    Import Performance and Styling
    -= Official distributors for Password JDM =-

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2012EuroLux Nav
    Just an update. Got a guesstamite from my local Honda dealer to supply a new frame and to pull the sunroof out and fit the new frame, glass, rubber. $1500
    "Apparently" the headlining has to be pulled off to get the sunroof out. $550 for the frame, $700 to remove headlining, & sunroof & reinstall it, and the balance for fitting the new frame to the old glass, etc.
    I can get a second hand sunroof for $300 but even if the dealer would use a second hand part (they wont) it still works out about $1000
    Even to clean it up with a wire brush I still have to get the sunroof out, and I think its more than a wire brush repair job.

Member Array
    Car:
    07 Euro Lux
    wait.. doesnt honda have some rust warranty? 10 years? or is it 8? :S
    WTB: NSW CL9 facelift front bumper in Graphite / Grey

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    08 Euro Navi
    I have a 2008 Navi, that i have owned since new! I found similar rust around the whole frame, enough to make the rubber seal bulge when viewed from above also. It was replaced under warranty at the last service. There was a revised seal design as well compared to the original. My suspension is that the seal design allows water to sit in the rubber channel against the steel frame and then rust! There is no need to remove the hood lining that is absolute rubbish. Just have a look there are some clips and screws that will allow the glass panel to remove. Buy a second hand one and install it yourself, if they wont come at warranty!!!

I suspect that everyone with a CU2 or late CL9 should open your sunroof tonight and inspect your frame, its not something you would normally notice!!!

It's not a big job to replace the sunroof mate. Roof lining, a couple of plugs and bolts
    Import Performance and Styling
    -= Official distributors for Password JDM =-

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Call Honda Aust.and ask for special consideration.If approved they usually supply the parts and you pay labour.FYI Honda offer 6 years warranty against rust.Worth a go!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2012EuroLux Nav
    Quote Originally Posted by Dribbla View Post
    I have a 2008 Navi, that i have owned since new! I found similar rust around the whole frame, enough to make the rubber seal bulge when viewed from above also. There is no need to remove the hood lining that is absolute rubbish. Just have a look there are some clips and screws that will allow the glass panel to remove. Buy a second hand one and install it yourself, if they wont come at warranty!!!
    !!
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Yes my rubber is bulging all along the front () but worse in the two front corners where the rust is visible from inside the car (photos)
    Are you sure you don't have to remove the headlining to do the job. ??? I like the sound of that. I could do it myself if that is correct.

The car is nine years old, so I really dont think Honda would go for warrantee. No harm in trying though. The body work is in pristine condition apart from this problem.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CU2 Lux Navi
    Hi guys I also have a 2008 Lux Navi and have noticed rust in the frame of the sunroof, now from memory on the brochure it says that a vehicle has 6 years rust warranty but it does not specify weather it is on the whole car or just pannel's and chassis ect... Do I have to be the first owner?