Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Ek hatch b18c7

Zeal function broken?!

Hey guys my mate gave me some zeal function coil overs for my ek.
    Gold and blue ones.

I think the shocks are gone because they just make a banging noise over bumps.

How do I go about repairing them. Also the damper adjustment no longer works

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    If it bangs over bumps, try to preload them tighter( if coilover has adjustable preload and height separate) mine did that, I just tightened the top perch to stop the springs being loose and hittin the top hat like a drum
    VTEC+Turbo=dirty underpants

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    Make sure all the lock rings are tight too

If the adjuster does nothing, that will indicate an issue within the shock, probably also the source of your knock though...
    OHSC

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    Try above.

But I'd say most likely that if you got it for FREE that it's busted. Bring it to a suspension joint and ask for a rebuild quote. Damper doesn't work because there is no damper remaining inside the strut (leaked out?) hence no function of a shock whatsoever, only spring - hence the knocks when under pressure.

Sometimes it's easier to just buy new ones.

Peace.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    Wut? Damper doesn't work because there is no damper inside strut? *sigh*

Please don't give advice when you don't quite know what it is you are talking about...

The damper adjuster will stop working because the rod that runs down the shock shaft has either broken, become jammed due to wear or carbon build up due to overheating or the piston and foot valve have been smashed.

None of these parts will "leak out"

Your final statement of "Sometimes its easier to buy new ones" is correct though...
    OHSC

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by zhong View Post
    Try above.

But I'd say most likely that if you got it for FREE that it's busted. Bring it to a suspension joint and ask for a rebuild quote. Damper doesn't work because there is no damper remaining inside the strut (leaked out?) hence no function of a shock whatsoever, only spring - hence the knocks when under pressure.

Sometimes it's easier to just buy new ones.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by senna View Post
    Wut? Damper doesn't work because there is no damper inside strut? *sigh*

Please don't give advice when you don't quite know what it is you are talking about...

The damper adjuster will stop working because the rod that runs down the shock shaft has either broken, become jammed due to wear or carbon build up due to overheating or the piston and foot valve have been smashed.

None of these parts will "leak out"

Your final statement of "Sometimes its easier to buy new ones" is correct though...
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    Lol, well I assume he'd understand my meaning - but I guess this is OZHONDA where all the real pro's are at! My bad for misleading you.

I really meant that it probably has been leaking and because of that it no longer holds the correct damper levels - because it has lost some of its fluid/gas inside the strut to help dissipate the kinetic energy applied to it whilst driving over humps and what not. But in the end, bring it to a suspension shop, they'd just explain it in better words than I have. Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro, but I only provide my opinion when I have experienced something similar and how I overcame it. Free, knocking, and damper adjustment not functioning - go figure.

And I'm not giving him advice, I'm just pointing out the obvious in his situation.

Peace.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    There is only one place i knw of that rebuilds coilovers, and that is Fulcrum suspension in QLD

And weather they will rebuild it or not is again 50/50 as they are the sole repairers of teins in the whole of australia, though i have heard they also do rebuild other coilovers, im not 100 percent sure... AND most places, 9 outta 10 places refuse to fix them or touch them

Best bet, either send it to japan zeal for a rebuild or try ur luck with Fulcrum

http://performance.fulcrumsuspension...vice-a-repairs
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    Quote Originally Posted by zhong View Post
    Lol, well I assume he'd understand my meaning - but I guess this is OZHONDA where all the real pro's are at! My bad for misleading you.

I really meant that it probably has been leaking and because of that it no longer holds the correct damper levels - because it has lost some of its fluid/gas inside the strut to help dissipate the kinetic energy applied to it whilst driving over humps and what not. But in the end, bring it to a suspension shop, they'd just explain it in better words than I have. Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro, but I only provide my opinion when I have experienced something similar and how I overcame it. Free, knocking, and damper adjustment not functioning - go figure.

And I'm not giving him advice, I'm just pointing out the obvious in his situation.

Peace.

Why didn't you say that in the first place then?

If i hadn't corrected it (being a "real pro" as you term it) the OP would've had the wrong info and not really know whats going on.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to be an expert in every field, but if you describe something wrong or you give misleading info - like saying the damper has leaked out of a damper - then it doesn't help anyone and contributes to Internet Experts that create false knowledge.

Please don't feel offended personally, just take it as constructive criticism.
    OHSC

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    Centrax in qld will fix them they are the australian sellers of zeal
    expect to pay accordingly

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    Quote Originally Posted by senna View Post
    Why didn't you say that in the first place then?

If i hadn't corrected it (being a "real pro" as you term it) the OP would've had the wrong info and not really know whats going on.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to be an expert in every field, but if you describe something wrong or you give misleading info - like saying the damper has leaked out of a damper - then it doesn't help anyone and contributes to Internet Experts that create false knowledge.

Please don't feel offended personally, just take it as constructive criticism.
    I'm no where near offended mate, but thanks for clearing it up, it's the inter web. I typed it on my phone when I posted, and obviously didn't notice it was that whack! Was using "damper" as a adjective and not a noun! P.S. Just noticed your sig.. LOL at myself.

On with the thread then..

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek hatch b18c7
    ye centrax want 600 a corner...

anyway.
    just emailed endlessusa so ill let u guys know what they say. apparently its 100$ plus parts. so who knows