Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

experienced engine builders or Honda experts!

okay soo im doing head work to my b16 and im wanting to raise my compression not by to much! factory there like 10:4:1?? im wanting to go about 11:0:1-11:1:1 soo have to shave like 0'60'' of the head? also running stock oem headgasket wich is like .29'' thick i dont want to touch the bottom end yet keep that in mind cause i might just go a 20 bottom yet! also with running this setup will i have valve clearence issues and if soo much much would i have to advance or retard my timing by to address this issue? thanks for any replies and this is a serious question soo please answer with a serious answer thank you!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    If you are bringing the head closer to the deck in any way then you will need to adjust the timing with adjustable cam gears to compensate for the added slack on the timing belt. and I have been told by experienced shops that it will mess with the piston to valve clearance..

although I wouldn't recommend shaving more then whats needed to make the head flat, because once the amount is removed you can't go back. maybe consider a thinner head gasket? cometic? buddyclub? mugen? better to bring the head closer to the deck using a part that can be replaced.

although probably the best idea would be to decide if you want the 2.0L bottom end before building, so you can do it all in one hit and choose your compression ratio using high comp pistons.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Super-DA9 View Post
    If you are bringing the head closer to the deck in any way then you will need to adjust the timing with adjustable cam gears to compensate for the added slack on the timing belt. and I have been told by experienced shops that it will mess with the piston to valve clearance..

although I wouldn't recommend shaving more then whats needed to make the head flat, because once the amount is removed you can't go back. maybe consider a thinner head gasket? cometic? buddyclub? mugen? better to bring the head closer to the deck using a part that can be replaced.

although probably the best idea would be to decide if you want the 2.0L bottom end before building, so you can do it all in one hit and choose your compression ratio using high comp pistons.
    im in 2 minds about the b20 bottom end but i think mayb 0.020'' off the head and 1 layer head gasket then i should be able to run factory timing?

Quote Originally Posted by AllMotorB16a View Post
    im in 2 minds about the b20 bottom end but i think mayb 0.020'' off the head and 1 layer head gasket then i should be able to run factory timing?
    scratch that 30 thou off 1 layer head gasket should see me in 12:1:1 for compression

question is but with the factory pistons hold? 12:1:1 is pretty high

Member Array
    Car:
    Laser,B16EF,DC2
    should be no problem i think

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    No, regardless of how you do it, if you bring the head closer to the deck you need to adjust the timing back to factory because when you tension the extra slack on the belt it'll throw your timing out.

scratch that 30 thou off 1 layer head gasket should see me in 12:1:1 for compression
    umm.. you sure man? i can't see how you can go almost 2 points up in CR from shaving the head 30 thou and thin head gasket....

i was originally trying to up my compression without touching the bottom end but I realized how much smarter it was gonna be to do it once do it right.

think carefully about it
    Last edited by Super-DA9; 07-06-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    Civic EK4
    About to buy high comp pistons on eBay for $230.
    Has valve reliefs cut into them.
    Easy as to put em in.
    Save ur head for the b20.
    STRUT Saturdays get on it

Member Array
    Car:
    91 ED9 CRX
    Did he even bother using the compression calculator?

Quote Originally Posted by gen2 CRX View Post
    Did he even bother using the compression calculator?
    yah that was with the compression calculator!

stock jdm conrods stock jdm p30 pistons 1 layer gasket 0.030'' off the head 8000rpm operation... and the calulator came up with 12:10:1