Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi

what parts do i need to replace if lost only set of keys for ek1

hey guys .. ran into a bit of trouble and id appreciate the help
    I've lost the only set of keys to my car (yes i know. stupid)
    Im sure i can break into it with a coathanger.. bet to get it rolling again what parts of the ignition do i need to replace ?
    is it just the ignition barrel and a set of keys to match? or is there more to it
    thanks again

Member Array
    Car:
    CivInteJazPreAc
    The key and ignition barrel with the wiring and connector is the easiest way.

Member Array
    Car:
    Canon 5d
    the ignition and key barrel, the wiring and connector is the best way.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    So I just ask the wreckers with the ignition key and barrel with all the wiring? thanks guys

Member Array
    dont forget door key holes.
    u dont need those to get it running though.

If it has an immobiliser, the chip in the key is also tied to the ECU.

ECU-MAN is the man to talk to

Member Array
    Car:
    CivInteJazPreAc
    Quote Originally Posted by simmy View Post
    the ignition and key barrel, the wiring and connector is the best way.
    I agree

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Can't you remove the key barrel from the door and get a locksmith to make up a new key that fits the internal finger arrangement of the barrel?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    i recently did a key change on an EK because i bought the car with only one key and also i had an EK wreck at home.

Obviously, grab the door/boot key holes and for the ignition, just grab the key barrel and the RFID box (that black box that hooks up to the black ring around the key barrel). You can also save time by dismantling the barrel and slot the new set into the existing ignition barrel. So you wont have to drill out the two bolts clamping the steering column and get new wiring for the ignition.

You will also need to disable the immo as you wont be able to start the car with the new RFID box.
    and heres the link to how to disable the immo:
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...liser-Removal&

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    Ok a little confused here
    Whats the easiest way to go about this...
    Just buy the ignition and key barrel and the wiring and connector? and replace these parts and presto?

Or do as Hojee kindly pointed out, just get the key barrel and the RFID box, and replace those two parts?

I was told by Honda that I need a new ECU or something as the new key doesn't have the same immobiliser planted inside the key as the lost old one

One thing I don't get is my car doesnt have an alarm as far as im aware, unless all ek1's come with an immobiliser?

It seems the easiest way is yes, removing a key barrel from the door and getting it cut, however people are telling me the key has an immobiliser unit in it... but im confused as it just looked like any normal key and my car didnt have any sort of alarm

I dont want to be paying to get a new key cut from the locksmith to find out it still wont start the car..

thanks again guys, and im sure this thread will help others for future clarification
    Last edited by Chriskoss; 14-06-2012 at 12:51 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 & C43
    Do you have a red key? You may be able get a key code from Honda to duplicate your key at the locksmith if they still have your car details on their system. PM me your vin no. and I can check for you

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    nope no red key .. ill pm u those details soon once i can break into my own car. thanks man