Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    MX5 CB400S4

ek 00 sway bars.

Hi everyone, i wanna put a rear sway bar in my ek to get rid of some body roll and give the front a bit more grip but is doing the front sway bar aswell necessary?? I wanna go for the 22mm ctr rear sway bar. My car is completely stock btw..

Thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek4_cxi_type_R
    You'd need a subframe brace if wanting to run a ctr rsb on a stock ek1 or else you'll end up tearing out your subframe.

fsb not necessary, your car will just tend to oversteer a lot without one.

If your car is a CXI then you don't even have a front swaybar. would recommend getting at least a GLI swaybar 22mm (you'll also need LCA's)

Member Array
    Car:
    MX5 CB400S4
    Yeah my car is a cxi. Dang, this is getting expensive now thought i could get away with just the rsb. Besides the ctr rsb are there any other ones worth looking at i.e. whiteline... etc? So for braces should i just be looking at the asr or something? Im not gonna go to the trouble of changing LCA'S in the front for just the gli FSB, what FSB should i be looking for i.e. brand, diameter.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek4
    hey man. if youre trying to get rid of body roll why not just lower the car. itll look nice and reduce any major bodyroll if the springs are stiff enough. then just get a set of ek4 sway bars and you should be okay for daily driving.
    team grade A

I recommend getting an entire front swaybar and control arms off a ek4 or em1.
    Op , you will need front lower control arms from a ek4 , em1 or later ek1 that has a front swaybar- these have mounting points for a front swaybar.

Then , invest in an ASR brace and CTR / ek9 rear swaybar setup and your car will handle a lot better. A lot less body roll and e ride will not be affected.

Total investment = around $500-600 for a great boost in handling , much more than lowering springs , coil overs etc.

Member Array
    Car:
    MX5 CB400S4
    I was looking under my car just to make sure the rsb will fit and also noticed that all the bushings (lca, suspension etc..) look very brown, old and were really firm. While im doing the sway bars would it be wise to redo all the bushings aswell. Right now i obviously have neither a front or rear sway bar but find myself getting much more understeer then over. Wouldn't just doing the rear balance the car out enough to not warrant the front?

Quote Originally Posted by dmad_dood View Post
    I was looking under my car just to make sure the rsb will fit and also noticed that all the bushings (lca, suspension etc..) look very brown, old and were really firm. While im doing the sway bars would it be wise to redo all the bushings aswell. Right now i obviously have neither a front or rear sway bar but find myself getting much more understeer then over. Wouldn't just doing the rear balance the car out enough to not warrant the front?
    Would be a great idea to change / refresh all your suspension bushings. they help a lot with handling
    Also, putting only a rear swaybar on your car will upset the balance, even if you're putting on a 14mm ek4 rsb on you will tend to oversteer more than understeer. Every car is designed from factory to understeer rather than oversteer, for safety reasons (not many people know how to correct oversteer) so upsetting that balance could cause quite a dangerous situation. i only say this from personal experience in a mates car.
    So if you're thinking of going swaybars, do the whole lot, it is really well worth the money you'd be spending
    team.gradeA

more smart. more safe. moreTEIN

Member Array
    Car:
    MX5 CB400S4
    Yeah its not a bad idea doing front and rear, i want my car balanced obviously. wheres the best place to get everything i need i.e. fsb, rsb, lcas, subframe brace, a new set of bushings etc.. I want to try stick oem thou so idk maybe ctr rsb with ek4 fsb and lcas as people have suggested. That should probably do the trick

year if you want to go oem try find an ek4 wreck, get all your parts off there. if you want to go ctr swaybars, might as well get ctr front swaybar as well, a lot thicker than ek4 ones. you can pick up a set of gli or ek4 front lca and they'll fit ek9 swaybars. just get a rear subframe brace like asr or function 7 or whatever and you're good to go . dont put ek9 rsb without rear brace, will tear your subframe apart!
    team.gradeA

more smart. more safe. moreTEIN

The EK4 front LCA's are also beefier to compensate for the thicker swaybar which means you'll also need EK4 forks.

Member Array
    Car:
    MX5 CB400S4
    If i go gli fsb and lcas i wont need new forks will i? And will they balance alright with a ctr rsb? And out of curiosity whats the diameter of the gli / ek4 / ctr fsb?

Thanks for the help!