Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Cl9 Lux

DIY Installation + Paint Chrome Trim on CL9 CL7 Grill. Warning Lots of Pictures!!

There is several ways to paint match on your car. One of the most common mods is to make your grille the color of your car, which gives you a new look to your front end. Here is a helpful guide to help you along your way when attempting this task.

Materials Needed:
    1 can of primer
    1 can of Paint matched spray can (Bought at $50 from Paint Spot Footscray)
    1 can of clear coat
    1 can of grease and wax remover
    Paper Towels

Tools Needed:
    10mm socket
    Rachet
    Flat blade screw driver
    PH.C phillips screw driver (for smaller screws)

Step One: Using hood release, pop the hood and use prop rod to keep it up.

Step Two: Locate the retaining clips for the radiator cover and remove the clips.

Step Three: Locate and remove the retaining clips for the grille. (Should look like clips from above)

Step Four: Using a outward motion, pull the grille toward you to remove from the car.

Step Five : Go to the hood. Look toward the front of the hood on the underside and locate the 4 black plastic nuts which hold the hood chrome piece on. Using your 10mm socket and rachet, use a counter-clockwise rotation to remove the nuts. Pull the chome piece towards you after the retaining nuts are removed.

Step Six : Locate and remove the 8 screws holding the lower "V looking" chrome piece on, using your screw driver in a counter-clockwise rotation. Pull chrome piece towards you.

Step Seven : Lay down all the parts on piece of paper, and start by cleaning it with the grease and wax remover

Step Eight : Once clean, sand the chrome grill until the gloss faded

Step Nine : Then start applying primer. Shake primer can for minimum of 1 minute, then apply 2-3 coats of primer. Please allow 30 minutes between coatings. Doing this step will give the paint something to adhere better on the surface.

Step Ten : Shake paint mix can for minimum of 1 minute. After 30-45 minutes of last primer coating, apply a coating of the paint mix to the pieces. Allow 30 minutes between coatings. You need to apply 3 coatings of paint. (Picture shows PWP, yes it looks like white until in sunlight)

Step Eleven: Shake Clear coat can for minimum of 1 minute. After 30-45 minutes of last paint coating, apply an even coating to the pieces. Apply 3 coatings of clear coat, allowing 30 minutes in between coatings. Doing this step, will help seal the paint you just sprayed.

Step Twelve: After drying is complete, reassembly is the reverse of removal.

Before :

After :

At this final step, I realized that the new color didn't match well with the rest of body paint. Following a member's suggestion here, I re-sand it twice with P400, buff it with Meguairs Cutting Compound, Respray with Pearl coat and clear coat. This is how it turns out :

PS : 1. When installing the CL7/ Euro-R Grill, you might need to cut small trim on the radiator cover to fit it perfectly or just install it without the radiator cover.
    2. You might notice that the new paint looks darker than the hood and bumper. That's always being the case. Fresh paint versus paint that's been faded over time

Hope this DIY helps anyone who want to attempt doing this mod.
    Last edited by skyichigo; 22-06-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    Robert
    AUTOSPORTS HONDA
    565 Parramatta Road Leichhardt, NSW,2040
    Ph: (02) 9509 0688
    Mob: 0425 000 123

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Very nice. Should go into the DIY thread though, as it may help other Honda owners as well. Would have thought that a paint shop would match the paint on your car or did you take the colour code to them?

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    R32 Skyline
    I like the color coded grille but I wouldn't be happy with that color match.

Member Array
    Car:
    MY07 Accord CM5
    Seriously that paint matching is f#cked.
    ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS ROCK FAKESH*T

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Not really. I'm guessing he took the colour code in for the paint and that's how it came out. Colours fad over time, I mean I tried touching up my mother's car, which is a gold colour. Using the touch up paint that came with it, it was a lot darker/richer than the actual body work. Then again, the car is a decade old so you'ld expect the colour to have faded. The only way your car's paint will match that of the colour code is if it's new, recently has been repainted or you have paint protection on it.

On a side note though, I wonder how it'ld look with the bottom piece painted in black? Especially if you keep the old grill, might actually work out better and not have to worry about paint matching.

Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak
    its not too bad, theres no sanding down the clear and cut n polish yet, so it hasnt really been blended yet. if u look carefully at the bottom left of the grille outline u can see the part where it touches the sunlight and its almost a good match with the bumper.

its just not completed yet thats all.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    ouch@ colour accuracy

good DIY though
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    does the paint instructions involve baking?

if so then colour would be slightly different
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

white has got to be the hardest and ugliest colour to match

love the DIY but

i want to change my grill to something like that: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ACURA-04-...item4604acaa75

Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    does the paint instructions involve baking?

if so then colour would be slightly different
    it is true alot of painting the heat will smooth results out much nicely.
    but, with acrylic paints it not as neccesary u can achieve results the same wihtout it

Member Array
    Car:
    accord
    Thats not normal and its not because of your car fading either Its a completely different shade. Something went wrong man. That's why I just say leave it to the pros imo for this stuff.
    Last edited by Rudy; 19-06-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Cl9 Lux
    The paint that I ask to get mix is the correct one like the one under my hood NH624P, I also watched the guys mix it for me following the "notches" guide. I am sure it will be blend in time. But if you are not confident, IMHO, you can leave it to a professional. All the parts cost me nearly 80$, taking it to a spray painter might cost you $120 or more. But, well, IMO, that's a big experience I got by DIY-ing it. And it's fun. Also as Patrick said, I will try sand it down tomorrow since the paint just dried up today. Then + cut and polish. See how it goes
    Last edited by skyichigo; 19-06-2012 at 11:20 PM.
    Robert
    AUTOSPORTS HONDA
    565 Parramatta Road Leichhardt, NSW,2040
    Ph: (02) 9509 0688
    Mob: 0425 000 123