Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 & C43
    Your vin number should be on your rego sticker. If you don't have a red key you will need to be buy a new immobiliser from Honda which comes with a red key for programming and blank keys

Member Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic
    EKs don't come with an alarm as stock, they do have an immobiliser however.

As far as I know, you will need to either replace your ECU or have yours reprogrammed to accept the replacement key, or the immobiliser will kick in and the car won't start. Best bet to find out exactly what needs to be done here is PM ECU-MAN.

Also, you do need to replace the door/boot key barrels with the ones from whichever car you got the keys/ignition barrel from. You want to be able to lock/unlock the car right? (assuming you go ahead and get the keys/ignition barrel from a wreck).

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX
    If the ignition and the door locks run off the same key,then the easiest and cheapest thing to do is take out your door lock .....take it to a lock smith and tell them to make a key to fit that lock

If the old key had no buttons on it and just looks like an old school Honda key then you should have no issues with alarms
    Last edited by _CRX_; 14-06-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    Hmm two contradicting opinions here.....
    first is just get new key cut from the door lock..
    second is new key cut wont work as there will be no transponder to work with the immobiliser.. and that new key from honda is needed with re-programming...

My key looked exactly like this.. with 'HON(and a few numbers) written on it.. (was not a genuine key)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1993-1994...7#ht_500wt_938

I guess first thing is to take the door lock out and ask the locksmith how much to make a key...

If its too expensive.. second route to go is buy a new set of locks including ign.barrel etc and maybe by-pass the immobiliser buy doing the DIY that someone on the prev. page kindly pointed out..

Will PM ECU-MAN now and pray hes kind enough to point me in the right direction

Ill let you guys know the outcome

cheers all
    Last edited by Chriskoss; 15-06-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    It says on another ebay add that only newer models, the key has a transponder chip. I'm 99% certain my old key didnt have a transponder chip as it was just a normal key like in the one pictured. So im PRAYING TO GOD if I get another key cut it will simply work without having to get a new barrel, door locks, new ecu or reprogram ecu

Wont be worth if if I have to pay up to a thousand bucks just to start my bloody car

If it was exactly like that key with the plastic head then it doesn't have a chip in it. I believe the early model EK1's didn't come with immobilisers (but I could be wrong)

Anyway if that's the case you should be able to just get away with getting a new key cut.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    That is what I hoped. Now to break into the car to get the rego papers and take it to the honda dealer and pay the bloody 60 bucks or whatever it is to get the key cut. yay yay yay will cut 2 more keys after this hassle of not having a car for a week due to firstly slave cylinder going then when going to fix it, lost the only set of keys
    Thanks guys, ill let you know how it goes.
    Im sure this thread will help others in the future to know what to do if they have a transponder key or normal key
    PS dorikin ill let you know after this hassle is done so i can come and get the slave cylinder and washer bottle+motors off u, thnks

Member Array
    Car:
    '93 EG Si
    Quote Originally Posted by TranceZiggy View Post
    EKs don't come with an alarm as stock, they do have an immobiliser however.

As far as I know, you will need to either replace your ECU or have yours reprogrammed to accept the replacement key, or the immobiliser will kick in and the car won't start. Best bet to find out exactly what needs to be done here is PM ECU-MAN.
    Adding on...
    As mentioned by atari, you need to call up ya nearest Honda centre and get your car towed there. It'll take them a few days for the order of a new immobiliser, red key and blank keys to arrive. They'll organise to cut the keys with a local locksmith. (Honda likes to ripp customers off btw. See if they charge you for being a middleman. You'll get a receipt from the locksmith attached to the Honda service papers anyway.) Then it's a 10min job for the 'technician' to replace the immobiliser under the steering wheel, then plugs in the so called hi-tech-latest diagnosis technology (Honda over exaggerates on their brochures and stuff), ECU - new immobiliser recognition, key recognition x?. Done.

Edit: Looks like Chriskoss knows, I just took a long time to post due to multi-tasking.
    Last edited by 3K9; 15-06-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    Quote Originally Posted by 3K9 View Post
    Adding on...
    As mentioned by atari, you need to call up ya nearest Honda centre and get your car towed there. It'll take them a few days for the order of a new immobiliser, red key and blank keys to arrive. They'll organise to cut the keys with a local locksmith. (Honda likes to ripp customers off btw. See if they charge you for being a middleman. You'll get a receipt from the locksmith attached to the Honda service papers anyway.) Then it's a 10min job for the 'technician' to replace the immobiliser under the steering wheel, then plugs in the so called hi-tech-latest diagnosis technology (Honda over exaggerates on their brochures and stuff), ECU - new immobiliser recognition, key recognition x?. Done.

Edit: Looks like Chriskoss knows, I just took a long time to post due to multi-tasking.
    Thanks for the info but I really hope it doesnt have to come to that. My car never came with a red key and as previous stated the key I had was just a black plastic key so i hope when getting another cut from the VIN it will just simply work. I do not give a sheet about immobilisers and red keys and blue keys and ecu's and whatever, its just a 3000 dollar civic, why would honda expect me to pay up to a grand to get a 5cm key for the ignition, the world is gone mad.