Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

[CU2] 1000km engine oil change required?

Just looked in my service manual, it says for 1000km it doesn't require a engine oil change anymore. As far as i know, most cars at 1k also get a oil change.

The oil change appears to be at 10,000km in the manual.
    What you guys think? Should I get them to change the oil anyway?

Also, I was wondering, what kind of engine oil would be the best? (You think I can buy it somewhere, and get them to change it to that?)
    From what I heard the stuff the dealership services aren't good but will do the job sort of stuff. I rather give my car the good stuff.

I don't mind to order it from online, or from amazon (saw the other one, but wasn't too sure if I should use a synth at 1k).

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    1000km is usually just a check up from the dealer's point of view. To make sure nothing is falling off.

Some say that it's not nessary. Others says you should because the first 1000km is the wear in period so there will be more metal than usual mixed in the oil which ain't that great for it. They also tend to use this change to move onto full Synthetic oil. In the end though, it's up to you. People who aren't enthusiast, i.e. the majority, will not change oil at the 1000km check up and have the dealer change with Magnatec and still have their car running strong for years. There is a difference I guess, but unless you want to keep your car for 20 years or a million KM, the difference between the two won't be as noticeable (other than of course the car running smoother on thinner synthetic oil).

I think the car currently 10W30 Engine Oil, but unsure. I was told not to switch to 5W30 at 1000km since it is too thin, is this true? Thinking of either going on Honda FEO Ultra or Mobil1 EP, which one is better?

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    it's not suppsed to be to slippery when it's new otherwise the piston rings won't wear in properly

same reason as why you don't baby an engine from brand new
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

It doesn't hurt to do an oil change at 1000km just to remove the metal that has been left behind clogging up the oil filter. It so easy to do and only take 1/2 hour to do an oil and filter change.

Standard factory fill is Mobil 1, 5w-30. Its only thin at start up which you want the oil to flow as quick as possible from a cold engine. At operating temperature a 5w-30 and 10w-30 is the same 30 weight oil. You can use a 0w-30 which will flow much better at start up than the 5w or 10w.

BTW - the TSX in the US uses a 0w-20 even in the hot Texas sun. honda is also pushing 0w-10 for newer cars such as the Honda Insight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAYkigNbzgs
    Last edited by BigBen; 18-06-2012 at 09:00 PM.

What sorta oil would you recommend to change to? I primarily want fuel efficiency but want a long lasting engine. Good idea to go full synth at 1k? i heard people usually use this time to switch their engines to full synth.

For fuel efficiency get a diesel or hybrid, but you can use a 0w-20 for maximum fuel efficiency and protection but you need to use full synthetic oil. 0w-20 is still hard to get easily in Australia so Honda in their laziness recommends a 5w-30 instead.

For best wear protection use a 0w-20 or 0w-30 as most wear occurs when the car start from dead cold.

Pump up the tyres to 44 PSI and remove all the possible dead weight in the car such as spare tyre and crap that is not required to be in the boot.

Also drive off peak hours. For example if I leave work at 5:30am from St Ives to Sydney CBD it takes 20mins and uses 7.5 litres per 100km. If I leave to work at 7:30am it takes 1 hour 20mins and uses 12 litres per 100km. This is a 20km trek from St Ives to CBD.

I don't worry about fuel saving as the car depreciates faster than $4000.00 of fuel I burn each year.

Funny thing is, my Yamaha V-Max 1.7litre bike (130kw) uses close to 10 litres / 100km but its a hell of a 100 km ride.hehehehe
    Last edited by BigBen; 18-06-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by caudex View Post
    What sorta oil would you recommend to change to? I primarily want fuel efficiency but want a long lasting engine. Good idea to go full synth at 1k? i heard people usually use this time to switch their engines to full synth.
    Any 20-30 weight oil would be good, imo 40 is a bit thick.

Having said that. I dont believe you are allowed to use 0w-20 or 5w-20 accoridng to the honda service book (AUDM)

NOTE: Manufacturer specified oil grades differ according to country and region. Eg: A Toyota Prius in Sweden does not recommand more the 40 weight. while the same car in Spain allows up to 50 weight

So for AUDM warranty reasons. Stick with 0w-30 or 5w-30 (probably 5w-30, the cold flow characteristic difference between 0w and 5w is minimal above 0'C)

Of course I'd recommand full synthetic.
    Last edited by Fredoops; 19-06-2012 at 02:05 PM.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    ^+1. As Freddy said, different countries have different ratings. 0-20w is too think imo. They usually recommend that in countries where it can get really really cold. Australia isn't one of them.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    ^+1. As Freddy said, different countries have different ratings. 0-20w is too think imo. They usually recommend that in countries where it can get really really cold. Australia isn't one of them.
    I think you meant too "thin" :-P
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    think oil hahaha

S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Lolz, didn't notice. Nice catch.