Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2 + EG

Oil cooler help! Urgent!

Hey guys!

Im a bit stuck at the moment, i've got a b16a2 with an oem oil cooler but im looking to replace it with an aftermarket oil cooler as I track the car regularly. Only problem im running into is I dont know what to do regarding the fitting for the block, what do I replace the large oem fitting with since I wont be running the oem cooler with anymore?
    Cars off the road till I sort this!

Thanks guys,
    Andrew

You have 3 options.

1) Remove the OEM unit, and plug up the water holes
    2) Leave the OEM as it is and fix the Cooler adaptor on the OEM cooler
    3) Leave the OEM as it is, but plug up the water holes and fix the cooler adaptor on the oem cooler
    MFactory Competition Products

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2 + EG
    I realize that but I've had troubles finding out what I use to mount the oil filter too if I remove the oem cooler, I've found a b20 male to male block fitting should fit my block and let me delete the oem cooler. Anyone want to confirm though?

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Why do you want to remove the Oem cooler?
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2 + EG
    I don't feel the need to stack an oem cooler, sensor sandwich plate, oil cooler plate and a filter as well. Plus I also had a split occur in one of my oem lines, which is why I'm tackling the problem now.

With working OEM cooler

De-activated OEM cooler...
    MFactory Competition Products

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2 + EG
    Interesting.
    Id rather delete the whole thing though, as i dont really like the idea of stacking so many plates. Does anyone know if the solid water line off a b20 will fit a b16 as well? Would be an option eather then plugging the oem cooler holes on it.

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_foy View Post
    Interesting.
    Id rather delete the whole thing though, as i dont really like the idea of stacking so many plates. Does anyone know if the solid water line off a b20 will fit a b16 as well? Would be an option eather then plugging the oem cooler holes on it.
    The OEM Heat Exchanger is a VERY useful item.. Keep it at all costs.
    It's not 4x4 status, think of it as "Winter Mode".

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    Its there for a reason, unless your gonna build a track car i'd keep it on there and jsut add a sandwich plate.
    Even on my previously boosted ek4 i did this and it was fine.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2 + EG
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    Its there for a reason, unless your gonna build a track car i'd keep it on there and jsut add a sandwich plate.
    Even on my previously boosted ek4 i did this and it was fine.

Thats the thing, 90% of the cars driving is at the track (It also gets driven out there and to alignments) . I've got a new oem fitting from honda so I can run a plate straight off the block now.
    Oil cooler has a thermostat so it'll get up to temp fine. The other problem is, if I ran a sandwich plate on top of the oem cooler, wouldn't be temp readindgs be false since they've already passed through a cooler?

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    I think the Oem water/oil cooler only cools with oil going back in to the engine ie outside part. So putting your temp sensor in your sandwich plate will not have that affect as its before the oil goes back in to engine. The oil comes up through the center part from the sump and returns back to the engine through the outside part.

Just depends where you put the temp sensor. Make sure you put it pre oil cooler and not after.

Better place is to have your temp sensor plumbed in to your sump where the oil is hottest.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2 + EG
    Quote Originally Posted by DLO01 View Post
    I think the Oem water/oil cooler only cools with oil going back in to the engine ie outside part. So putting your temp sensor in your sandwich plate will not have that affect as its before the oil goes back in to engine. The oil comes up through the center part from the sump and returns back to the engine through the outside part.

Just depends where you put the temp sensor. Make sure you put it pre oil cooler and not after.

Better place is to have your temp sensor plumbed in to your sump where the oil is hottest.
    Sounds logical as then the oil would be filtered pre-oem cooler, regardless im not really keen to stack various plates if not needed so it's going. Oil sensor will be in a plate, pre-cooler, so it's accurate.

Just for anyone else that ever wants to do this;

Oem part number for the block fitting is 90015-PH1-013, I used the part number off a b20 since they dont use an oem cooler, it was $7.50~ from honda aus.
    You will also need to plug the coolant hole in the block either with a m16x1.5 bolt or rubber plug
    Also you will need to change the coolant hardline to a non oil cooler variant or plug it.