Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool Track rims, using stock rims or aftermarket?

Hey guys!

So, the tyres on my stock rims are needing new tyres so ive done the smart thing and just bought some 19's for street to cruise on. They arent a rim u would see at the track haha.

so my options are putting some sticky tyres on the stock rims or buying wider aftermarket rims to put tyres on.
    My CL9 will be getting coilovers, swaybars and im, as we speak looking at upgrading brakes. although for looks as well as the stock calipers look a tad small on big rims. people have said you are fine with projectMU pads though..

Ill pretty much be upgrading performance as i get my skill better as ive never been to a track day before other than archy drift in my 180.

cheers guys!

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    Throw some R tyres on the stock rims for track, you will be amazed at the difference.

A narrower sticky tyre is much better than a wide crappy tyre
    OHSC

Member Array
    Car:
    04 CL9, 11 323i
    Where you from YER801?

Just use stock rims if you can't be bothered to purchase light weight rims and if I were you I would just spend the money you would to upgrade brakes to purchase some light rims.

the fastst euro ive seen at the race track...uses standard rims.

im from QLD ming, so im looking at going to lakeside!

yeah they actually feel not too heavy so i thought ild throw the question out there. so ill probably run stock rims and get some decent tyres like federals or something!

what general suspension stuff should i be fine with to go out for the first time?

thanks for the input!

remember to drop your tyre pressure a good 5-8psi and recheck after each session - and adjust the pressure to keep it around normal pressure HOT !

Stock rims tends to be very strong and you find that semi slicks are cheaper in the smaller size than the larger size rubbers.

If this is your first time on the track, make sure you are using a fresh set of brake pads and keep a set handy.

thanks for the info bennjamin ill defiantly do that!

yeah ill keep an eye out for some semi slicks cause i can just put them on when i go to the track.

true with the brake pads? they go very quickly?

also with tyres would i be better with semi slicks or a good tyre like federal 595's

Member Array
    Car:
    04 CL9, 11 323i
    Hmmmm TBH since it's your first time... no need for semi slicks...

I went with Pilot Super Sports and they were awesome but not sure about the Federals 595's.

Just get used to the car and what it feels like and everything then make adjustments to improve your time.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    Quote Originally Posted by YER801 View Post
    also with tyres would i be better with semi slicks or a good tyre like federal 595's
    Keep in mind there's more than one tyre under the "595" branding. Don't go buying the cheapest 595 and expect it to perform as well as everyone says the 595RSRs do.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Loosing 1kg of unsprung weight is like loosing 5kg of sprung weight. Having said that, there's a limit to much weight you can loose just from the rims themselves, as tyres weigh more than them. To get a decent set of lightweight racing rims will set you back 2k+ easily so their not the cheapest option. I'ld say money would be better spent elsewhere. If your knew the the track, I'ld suggest something like Kumho KU36. Really sticky tyres in the dry, and cheap for what they are. Tyre wear is a bit crap though, but then so are most tyres when you take them on the track.

Brake Pads will go really quickly, you may want to change over to some performance/track pads especially if you do intend to go tracking often. I think the disadvantage of track bias pads were that they're noiser when cold, and bitey which don't make them as suitable for road use. Road bias pads would go after a few hot laps on the track, although letting them cool down will bring back some bite.

Edit: Should add that cheap rims like Rotas are known to break under track pressure/stress. So if you do go aftermarket, it'll be premium or stock, and no cheap imitations.