Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    04 CL9, 11 323i
    I agree 100%^

Like I said before this is your first time on the track there is no need to invest in expensive rims / tyres (semi slicks).

IMHO

I think the first time on the track is to learn the track and the limits of your car before applying those things as those things are used to improve your track time / safety (in some essence).

Go for stock rims first with some good rubber like the KU36 or Pilot Super Sport (~$800) for the rubber.
    http://www.michelin.com.au/Home/Prod...ilotSuperSport
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Mi...uper-Sport.htm
    Best performing tyre in the dry

For brake pads go for some Project Mu HC+ because it can be used in the street and track without the problems Chaos has mentioned which he is spot on btw. Pads made for pure track is unusable in the street (well it can but it's certainly not ideal) as you need to warm up prior to use and it loud and screechy. Whereas Project Mu HC+ operates between 0~800 Degrees and requires no warming up and makes no sounds.

Some quick tips for your first time tracking:

After you finish your session and coming back to the pits.

1. Park your car into your area preferably without slopes and put blocks under the car to prevent it from moving.
    2. Ensure it's on Neutral and the handbrake is not engaged.
    3. Put up the bonnet to allow heat to dissipate faster from the engine bay so it cools down faster.
    4. Monitor your tyre pressure and it's different for everyone but I like it at 30 PSI (On top of my head)
    5. Let it sit for good 5-10 mins and remove the rocker cover if you like (most of my friends do as do I ).

Oh yes either stock or premium!

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Out of interest; how much do PSS typically go for, as opposed to KU36 of the same size? Last time I checked, Michelin where typically 50% more expensive than Kumho's, and that's just for their regular tyres. Unless of course the KU36 is very expensive. But from memory, 225/40R18 PSS would go for $500+ each. No idea where the $800 price range comes from.

Otherwise, trust Ming. His got track experience in a CL9. (I've only been round in an Evo)

Member Array
    Car:
    04 CL9, 11 323i
    I can't remember TBH

I think I may have gotten it for cost price because I know people LOL hahaha I just remember looking at the bill of ~$800 or so

Hahaha oooo what Evo did you have or still have :P

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    Out of interest; how much do PSS typically go for, as opposed to KU36 of the same size? Last time I checked, Michelin where typically 50% more expensive than Kumho's, and that's just for their regular tyres. Unless of course the KU36 is very expensive. But from memory, 225/40R18 PSS would go for $500+ each. No idea where the $800 price range comes from.

Otherwise, trust Ming. His got track experience in a CL9. (I've only been round in an Evo)
    PSS around $200 per corner for 205/55/16
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    04 CL9, 11 323i
    I don't think they come in 16's not according to tire rack anyway

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Not according to Michellin's own price list either. Can only assume you're talking about PS3. That or it's older stock. Having said that I recall RE002a going for $180 for 205/55/16 so I guess it could be right. Kumho would be cheaper though, around the $150 mark I would think. According to Tire Rack, KU39 go for $172 each while the PSS go for $226 for 225/40R18.

Quote Originally Posted by MingZai View Post
    I can't remember TBH

I think I may have gotten it for cost price because I know people LOL hahaha I just remember looking at the bill of ~$800 or so

Hahaha oooo what Evo did you have or still have :P
    It was a TMR Evo 8 tuned for Tarmac Rally. Had proper roll cage, stripped out interior, foam filled fuel tank, 400kw engine etc. Was a fair well present from my mentor for my Automotive class back about 5 years ago. He was the first to open a Pedders franchise and now works for CAMS as an official, so he had connections with Alan at TMR Dandenong. Was great fun, too bad it was short, about 15mins.
    Last edited by ChaosMaster; 19-06-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Not according to Michellin's own price list either. Can only assume you're talking about PS3. That or it's older stock. Having said that I recall RE002a going for $180 for 205/55/16 so I guess it could be right. Kumho would be cheaper though, around the $150 mark I would think. According to Tire Rack, KU39 go for $172 each while the PSS go for $226 for 225/40R18.

It was a TMR Evo 8 tuned for Tarmac Rally. Had proper roll cage, stripped out interior, foam filled fuel tank, 400kw engine etc. Was a fair well present from my mentor for my Automotive class back about 5 years ago. He was the first to open a Pedders franchise and now works for CAMS as an official, so he had connections with Alan at TMR Dandenong. Was great fun, too bad it was short, about 15mins.
    You're right... it was PS3...
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    04 CL9, 11 323i
    ohhh shiettzzz Freddy got proved wrong LOL

But yeah PSS is quite expensive but it lasts and it can get plenty of KM's!!

I'm going to get PSS for my Evo as well when I get new tyres...

Dam that would've been some fun with the Tarmac Rally Evo!

Loosing 1kg of unsprung weight is like loosing 5kg of sprung weight. Having said that, there's a limit to much weight you can loose just from the rims themselves, as tyres weigh more than them. To get a decent set of lightweight racing rims will set you back 2k+ easily so their not the cheapest option. I'ld say money would be better spent elsewhere. If your knew the the track, I'ld suggest something like Kumho KU36. Really sticky tyres in the dry, and cheap for what they are. Tyre wear is a bit crap though, but then so are most tyres when you take them on the track.

Brake Pads will go really quickly, you may want to change over to some performance/track pads especially if you do intend to go tracking often. I think the disadvantage of track bias pads were that they're noiser when cold, and bitey which don't make them as suitable for road use. Road bias pads would go after a few hot laps on the track, although letting them cool down will bring back some bite.

Edit: Should add that cheap rims like Rotas are known to break under track pressure/stress. So if you do go aftermarket, it'll be premium or stock, and no cheap imitations.
    champion! thanks for the info mate.
    after my own research im finding KU36's popular as a bang for buck tyre as well..

so track pads will be something like a projectMU pad or similar? coilovers are about to be ordered and tax time will get me tyres
    soo keen to get out and flog around lakeside!

any other experiences anyone would like to share? anyone from qld got times they ran?'

EDIT: aw sheeet only just saw the 2nd page! thanks ming for confirmation! pretty much will look into everything said above

wonder how ill fair against the field of other 4 cylinders!
    Last edited by YER801; 19-06-2012 at 09:55 PM.

actually look on www.ozzytyres.com.au and see if any of them tyres will do?

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    the Pilot Super Sport in 225 40 18 is about US$904 + US$350 shipping + AU$60 bank fees shipped from Tirerack.. but I heard Tirerack cannot sell Michelins to Australia anymore...
    locally expect $500 each retail.

Kumho KU36 in 225 40 18 should be around $250 and in 225 45 17 is $210 each.

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    remember to drop your tyre pressure a good 5-8psi and recheck after each session - and adjust the pressure to keep it around normal pressure HOT !
    on normal street tyres, it's not a good idea to drop the tyre pressure. a friend followed a stranger advice in Marulan, dropped it to 30psi hot and he shredded his Continental Sport Contact 3 sidewall!! on real semis, go for it.

best to run 36psi cold for normal street tyres unless you hate your tyres.