Member Array
    Car:
    Accord euro 2003 MT

Timing Belt noise

Hi guys,

I've just picked up a 1998 civic from a friend pretty cheap as he was upgrading cars and am using it as a run about car. Its got 218K on the clock and had the timing belt changed at 200K at a honda dealership. I've noticed a strange whine coming from the cam belt cover area that more pronounced when the car gets warmer. It sounds to me like a overtightned cam belt whine. It may have possibly been adjusted when the engine was cold when installed and the tention in the belt increases a little when the engine gets warmer and causes the whine. I'm wondering if I should do anything about this or just leave it as is ? I'm happy to live with the noise as long as there no major damage being caused in there. Also is it worth taking back to the dealership so long after the belt was changed to complain ? am thinking they will just tell me to F*** off and I'll need to pay them again to get in there and re adjust it ! like I said just looking for some opinions on wherether people think its safe to drive with a whinny timing belt

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    timing belts have auto tensioners.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    timing belts have auto tensioners.
    not on EK they dont, only H, and later C sereies engines do.

Sounds like your timing belt may be to tight. You hav enothing to loose by going back to the dealer and saying " Since the timing belt change I get this "