Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

97 Integra rusting radiator and other issues! Help!

Hi,

My dad has always been careless with cars.

I had to drive his car out of the driveway and noticed it was due for a service at 180,000 and now has about 190,000.

I opened the bonnet to check the oil level and noticed the radiator has rusted out, the water is brown and the oil is black.

There is oil on the rocker cover but i think this is from my dad carelessly topping it up, as you can see the oil run mark from the oil cap.

He has had to top up the water and oil recently.

What's the best way to deal with this? I'm thinking the head gasket could be gone as my old pulsar had the exact same issue when it's head gasket went - rusted radiator and using oil. However the integra starts fine first time every time, i don't think water is leaking into the cylinder.

What i was going to do today was change the oil and filter, probably some castrol edge 5w30 (or maybe mobil 1 high mileage 10w40).

But how should i deal with this rust?

Should i replace the whole radiator - i am assuming i'll need to? What about the heater core?

What i was going to do was disconnect the radiator run a hose through the engine block and heater core to flush out any shit that is in it. Then change the radiator and clean out the hoses and radiator overflow, or just buy new ones.

Could anyone help me out with what i should do?

Thanks very much,

Adam
    Last edited by adamc11; 24-06-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Also, what about the water pump? Will that need replacing also?

Account Disabled Array
    looks like radiator has been filled with water instead of coolant.

needs major flush

depends on your budget m8.

if you want to spend little, then just give it a good flush, running water through the whole system till you completely sure it's clean.....

then top it up with quality coolant.

problem areas would be thermostat, water pump, hoses, radiator.

anthing coolant related will have to be assessed properly to make sure it's still ok.
    Last edited by ericl33; 24-06-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 & SF5
    to do a flush maybe try Radiator Flush?
    i never tried it myself so cant really give u much info.
    but i would go with what ericl33 mentioned and maybe add radiator flush.
    but for sure replace thermostat and water pump. inspect the hoses and might change them aswell(best to aswell).

then use coolant to finish it off after flushing and draining it a few times.
    maybe best to do a major service? as in timing belt and water pump etc...
    -=[BLACK Dc2]=-

EXE TRACK DAY 2014 PB 1:37.0

Thanks for the replies. Cleaned it out a bit today and did the flush with some radiator flush fluid. However, everything is coated in rust - radiator, thermostat, right through the engine block, etc.

Is there any way to remove the rust? Will coolant over time clear it up, or do I need to use some strong shit that will eat the rust away? I've heard that citric acid is good.

Thanks again.

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    nothing u can do about the rust in the engine.

Change the thermostat and the cap and see how it does afterwards. If you have the tools/skills then change the waterpump aswell. maybe get ur hands on a clean 2nd hand radiator aswell.

squeeze the top bottom radiator hoses and see how they feel, nice and soft or hard and brittle?
    OEM parts whore

Hoses are hard and brittle. I will change the water pump when the timing belt is done at 200,000 - I might attempt the timing belt myself, never done one before. I'll also do the radiator and hoses.

Today I will change just the thermostat and radiator cap.

I suppose the only thing is if I change the radiator, hoses, water pump, the engine block still has rust in it which I don't want spreading back to the new parts. Will it spread or stay where it is?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by adamc11; 25-06-2012 at 03:43 AM.

Account Disabled Array
    Quote Originally Posted by adamc11 View Post
    Hoses are hard and brittle. I will change the water pump when the timing belt is done at 200,000 - I might attempt the timing belt myself, never done one before. I'll also do the radiator and hoses.

Today I will change just the thermostat and radiator cap.

I suppose the only thing is if I change the radiator, hoses, water pump, the engine block still has rust in it which I don't want spreading back to the new parts. Will it spread or stay where it is?

Thanks again.
    change coolant every 5000kms till fluid is clean

Quote Originally Posted by ericl33 View Post
    change coolant every 5000kms till fluid is clean
    I got coolant concentrate that makes up 20L. I think the integra cooling system is about 4L, so with a 50/50 mix that means I use like 1/8 of the coolant concentrate. Is that right?

Does anyone here know how to change a timing belt and is located in Melbourne? I am wanting to change the timing belt and water pump within the next 10,000kms. There are online write ups but if i had someone doing it with me that knew how to it would be good, just so i don't stuff it up, and i'm happy to pay them with $$$ or beer for their time!

Thanks.

Account Disabled Array
    Quote Originally Posted by adamc11 View Post
    I got coolant concentrate that makes up 20L. I think the integra cooling system is about 4L, so with a 50/50 mix that means I use like 1/8 of the coolant concentrate. Is that right?
    cooling system is 7 - 8 liters when drained completely.

drained from the radiator only will be about 4 - 5 ish liters.

for a car that has been flushed with water, i would go 50/50 mix

for just a coolant change, 35/65

reason being coolant is still in the engine, if you flushed it with water, there will still be water in the motor.

unless you completely flushed it.

just fill it up with the correct ratio, then drive for 5000kms and change again, keep doing so till you're happy with the coolant looking clean

thats what i would do.

as for timing belt help, i would help you..... but not in melbourne.

pm mocchi or CB auto

Member Array
    Car:
    Laser,B16EF,DC2
    I would say for best results remove your thermostat, use radiator flush with your current radiator with heater on low after 15-20 mins flush it out don't forget to flush the heater core, would be better if you did T/Belt waterpump and Cam + crank seals , then change all coolant hoses and fill up with new coolant and water. just sayin lol