Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rim Size

Rim Size

Ok heres a quick background of the story...

Last night the cops were doing a chronic beatdown on cars with any sort of modification

I got pulled over and was told to follow the cop, the eventually led me to the RTA on West Botany St in Rockdale.

Never seen anything like this before, epic setup for defecting, not to mention the dozens of undercovers parked up inside

Now what happened was, I got defected for my rims being too large. I've only got 18 inch rims. I got an 03 model lux cl9, so its apparently illegal to have rims 2 inches bigger than stock and you need an engineer's certificate for it. Now the thing is, the 04 cl9 lux came with 17 inch rims....so my question is, easily signed off by honda without the need for certificates and all that bs?

edit:
    is it possible to get a letter signed by honda(or any registered engineer) to keep in my car saying that 18inch rims are fine...without them asking a couple of hundred $$? (yes im a tightass)
    Last edited by kristrifo; 01-07-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    07' CL9 Lux 5AT
    It appears that Honda put through a different RVD1 doc put through for MY05 (i.e. late 04) Euro as compared to the original MY03 Euro.

The MY03 RVD only has 16" rims listed, whilst MY05 RVD has the 16s and 17s listed.

MY03: http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/perl/...2003103116.cmd
    MY05: http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/perl/...2004154723.cmd

From my understanding, this means that officially, the largest wheel on a MY03 Euro chassis was 16" wheels, which means that your 18" is two inches larger than biggest stock (complianced) size. If you had a MY05 chassis, then the largest wheel offered stock (complianced) was the 17".

Not sure if you can argue the fact that the two chassis have minimal (if any) differences. My understanding is that officially, these are complianced as two different chassis, as the MY05 RVD1 doc is submitted separately from MY03, rather than as a correction.

Quote Originally Posted by kristrifo View Post
    Now the thing is, the 04 cl9 lux came with 17 inch rims....so my question is, easily signed off by honda without the need for certificates and all that bs?
    Nope, you'll still need an Engineering certificate (Make friends with an Engineer?). It's based on the car you own regardless of other variants. What were the original sized wheels on your car?

It's a bit silly, a base Aurion has 16" wheels meaning you can go up to 18" in size. A TRD Aurion has 19" wheels meaning you can go to 21"s...

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz+Evo
    Is there not a tyre placard in the door or something?

Also can't you just put the stock rims back on to pass then when it's all clear put the 18's back on.

Ive had my rims for a good 3yrs now, weren't cheap... sold the stocks a long time ago (rims were a bday present)

They told me the law is you can only go one inch lower or higher than what the tyre placard says. As youve probably figured out, it says 16inches

I told him I thought it was legal to go up by 2 inches and he told me only if its its cleared by an engineer

As jono said, the newer models of the cl9 came out with 17 inch rims so therefore 18 inch rims would be no problem

I know its easily cleared... I just want to have a letter (or whatever) saying that its fine for the future (just in case)

Ok fine if I had 20inch Dolce's on my car I'd wear it because youre asking for trouble....but my car is far from anything like that

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    I live in VIC but has an interstate plate.

Just in case.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    R32 Skyline
    Quote Originally Posted by kristrifo View Post
    Ive had my rims for a good 3yrs now, weren't cheap... sold the stocks a long time ago (rims were a bday present)

They told me the law is you can only go one inch lower or higher than what the tyre placard says. As youve probably figured out, it says 16inches

I told him I thought it was legal to go up by 2 inches and he told me only if its its cleared by an engineer

As jono said, the newer models of the cl9 came out with 17 inch rims so therefore 18 inch rims would be no problem
    the new models may have come out with 17" from factory but they go off what your car came out with not what other euro's did. Stupid because they are the same car but that the way it is.

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    I believe the law is not how much bigger your rims are, but the actual rolling diameter. From the RTA:

"Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the
    vehicle can be fitted without the need to notify the RTA.
    The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter
    wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel
    and tyre combination specified for the vehicle." pulled from - http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...vsi09_rev4.pdf

Any chance you're running really low profile tires? Not sure what the original profile is so not sure if it's possible to be within this range though. Hope this information helps though.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    borrow someone's stockes. Easy.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz+Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by androo View Post
    I believe the law is not how much bigger your rims are, but the actual rolling diameter. From the RTA:

"Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the
    The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter
    wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel
    and tyre combination specified for the vehicle." pulled from - http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...vsi09_rev4.pdf

Any chance you're running really low profile tires? Not sure what the original profile is so not sure if it's possible to be within this range though. Hope this information helps though.
    Interesting... good find!

Quote Originally Posted by androo View Post

cheers for that!

the specs of my tyres are: 225/40zr18 92W

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    what width are your rims? going from 16" to 18" should be legal as its only 2 inches and yeah the tires you got meet the load rating and profile is right for 18s.
    Maybe your width is greater than 7.5"?