Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    eg civic hatch

D16Y4 idle problems + shaking and surging

hi, ive just put a d16y4 into my 95 eg to replace the ****ed d15b7 in it. ever since we got it running, the idle has been really off, really low to the point of stalling. ive noticed that the engine when running, shakes a hell of a lot.

when driving, steady acceleration makes the car surge, and theres a huge lack of power, it feels like somethings holding the engine back. a few times, when ive put my foot down in 5th around 100, theres the lack of acceleration and power, and then the engine light comes on.
    and now its just running like shit, and has started misfiring, and sounding like an old truck.

any ideas on what could be happening?

ive just replaced o-rings and cushions on injectors, theres a new timing belt, and a whole new distributor on it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by eg4boy; 02-07-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Are you using the stock D15B7 ECU?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    eg civic hatch
    yes we're still using the d15b7 ecu

First off get a proper ECU that is tuned for the D16Y4

PM ECU-MAN he should be able to fix you up

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    eg civic hatch
    ok cheers man

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I agree with dorikin.

Failing that, inspect your spark plugs first, and if those both fail then look at your idle-controlling factors (idle screw, IACV, FITV, TPS sensor, throttle cable etc).

Keep us updated.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    eg civic hatch
    Have sent the pm to ECU-MAN and awaiting a reply still haven't had a chance to drive it since replacing the cushions and o rings because it just seems to not want to rev, it will get to like 1500 and not rev much further and run like absolute crap when you lift the bonnet it seems way hotter under there then it should but the temp reads normal operating, I've be doing some research and I think it might be the cat converter does it sounds like it to you guys?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK hatch, DC2
    could try running without the cat to see if there's any difference

i cant see how it could be the cat , i would definitely try the right ecu first.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    eg civic hatch
    When ecu man responded he said that he has never heard of someone doing it and doesn't know if it was safe or not but to try and get a obdI ecu for a d16 non vtec only problem is that there isn't any in Australia, and another guy that has done the same swap said it was plug and play. the car did run fine at first well had a vacuum leak, but after a while just started to get sluggish then just wouldn't rev past roughly 1500 and the car on idle tends to drop revs a lot and when you move the accelerator it seems to continue with its fit then start to rev higher again

My car did something similar when my o2 wire was grounding on something, maybe have a look at that

Which timing belt did you use? Are you using a stock cam gear? I would check mechanical timing. Is the oil pressure sensor plugged in? Are you using the stock throttle body?