Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro

[CU2] Excessive oil consumption

I was wondering if anyone else has had an oil hungry Euro?

Mine is brand new and between 1000 km and 8000 km it consumed almost exactly 2 litres of oil. Took it to the dealer to check it out and got the 6 month service at the same time (i.e. a $260 oil change), and no explanation, but it is now on "consumption watch", which means taking it back every 1000 km for 5000 km, so they can check the oil level. Somewhat inconvenient.

Has anyone else had to do this?

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    this is something rare on a Japanese Normal Aspirated non rotary engined car.

Sometimes the way the engine was run in does affect the oil usage in a turbo car, eg: Golf Mk5 GTI.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 03
    If your worried drive as hard as possible they will put in a new engine if it is too excessive

my cuz X1 also consumes oil like no tomorrow. i would like to know what tends to be the cause of it. she drives it like a granny, so there is no reason why its burning up that quickly

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    you have bad piston rings, and a badly broken in engine

The issue is that if you don't drive the car hard enough/keep it at a constant RPM for too long, your rings aren't able to wear themselves in properly and dont' form a clean seal with the sleeves. Some of t he air/fuel mixture gets past the piston rings into the crank case, vaporises a bit of oil and sends it back into the intake manifold through the PCV.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei_ View Post
    my cuz X1 also consumes oil like no tomorrow. i would like to know what tends to be the cause of it. she drives it like a granny, so there is no reason why its burning up that quickly
    as above..
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

cheers. so what can i do to solve this problem?

drive it hard, break the engine in more? my cuz doesnt drive all that much, maybe 200km/week.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Too late, it's gotta be on a freshly built engine
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

thanks mate.

maybe ill raise the point with bmw if i happen to go past it one of these days.

Mine's hit 10k km and it hasn't consumed any oil. I ran it in gently up to 500 km, then I ran it closer and closer to the redline as I got near the 1000 km mark. I think it's important to keep using VTEC to keep it running smooth. I did an oil change at 1000 km to flush out the crap from the factory. Sometimes ya gotta drive it like ya stole it

I would've thought Honda have much better quality control than an Italian make which shall be unnamed Run-in probably doesn't mean much because the piston rings and cylinder bores are machined well from the factory. 2 liters of oil in 7000 km is excessive especially for a new car... could be an inherent defect rather than a run-in issue.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by sensei_ View Post
    thanks mate.

maybe ill raise the point with bmw if i happen to go past it one of these days.
    yeh dude basically u shouldn't ever be burning oil in an engine's life, ever

burning oil a sign of wear
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    I certainly didn't baby it, nor did I thrash it when I ran it in. I seriously doubt it was run in poorly. I think there is something not quite right with it.
    Last edited by bugeater; 22-04-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by bugeater View Post
    I certainly didn't baby it, nor did I thrash it (much) when I ran it in. I seriously doubt it was run in poorly. I think there is something not quite right with it.
    might be worth doing a compression test

maybe they broke it in wrongly.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC