Thread: CD5 Sump Leak

CD5 Sump Leak

hi guys,

I was recently changing the oil on my 1996 Accord and noticed a tiny oil leak around the sump. There was a small amount surrounding the main oil drain plug as well as around the bolts that attach the sump to the case. Is this likely to be a sump gasket or the sign of something more serious?

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Heya mate
    A few questions
    Did you replace the washer when doing the oil change?
    Do you know when was the last time you changed the actual bolt?
    Have a check up higher around the valve cover area - as sometimes that leaks down to the bottom end and you may think that the bottom end is leaking
    Get a torch and have a look up at the back of the block, is your oil filter on tight?
    Do those and get back to us, good luck
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

jasemas,

not sure when the main bolt was last changed. it looks old, so I guess the washer could be worn? just replaced the oil filter, hand tightened it firmly, but not super super tight. previous filter had oil around the edge but so far the new one is looking pretty clean. Valve cover is clean, unless its so minor that I can't see but everywhere I've checked is spotless.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    You should change the washer every time you take of the bolt or do an oil change - as its a crush washer
    Have a good at de-greasing your engine bay (as well as the bottom) and wait a day or do some driving
    Maybe it can help pin-point your leak

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    EG4 D15
    Hi, didn't mean to hijacked this thread but I have the same dilemma. When I checked my dip stick, when I first pull it there was oil (as usual) then after rubbing it with a cloth and chucking it in to see the actual level and when I pull it back again, the dip stick was dry, no sign of oil or whatsoever. run my car a few k's then pulled over to the side road to check it again. then of course the first pull of dip stick, there's always oil but the second one, the dip stick was dry again. was thinking my engine already run out of oil on it but the thing is, my OIL warning light on my cluster isn't lighting up and the car seems to be running on it's usual good condition. Must be a massive leak or something?

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    When you first pull out your dipstick - that reading is a false one as oil that hasn't dropped to the sump will be picked up when pulling out the dipstick.
    The second reading is the most accurate, triple check, hell i quadruple check
    Oil should be checked first thing in the morning as all the oil is cold and that will show an accurate reading
    or if you wait 15 mins after driving have a read then - but dont put any oil in unless you're sure of the exact level as oil expands when heated and has a thinner viscosity (dont want to overfill)
    TL;DR
    Dont wait til your low level oil light comes on - its already damaged the engine
    Always check your oil when you fill up petrol or regularly
    Check oil level in morning/15 mins after driving
    Double/triple check dipstick readings
    Find where your oil is going
    Goodluck

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    cd5 accord
    check around near the harmonic balancer, F series engines are known for oil leaking from the balance shaft seals, so check for oil under the harmonic balancer on the timing cover (very lowest point), if there is oil there give it a spray with some brake cleaner and check it again after youve driven the car for a day or 2. if theres oil there again then its time for new oil seals,

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    I think mine are shot... And dizzy o ring.... List goes on

www.OzAccord.net/forum