Member Array
    Car:
    ek4

wheel, tyre and fitment question - DC5

Hi guys. My cousin has a DC5 and we're about to purchase some wheels for it. We're looking at some TE37s with some staggered offsets and widths.

Front: 17x8.5 +30
    Rear: 17x9.5 +35

Will these fit nicely after an approx two-finger drop? and what size tyres should he go for?

Thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Off the top of my head, two finger drop equals roughly about 1.5 finger gap left between wheels and guards? Based on that, fronts should be fine. Not 100% sure on the rears though - with 9.5" +35 wheels, it might rub on the suspension. Probably need the rear guards rolled too depending on what size tyre you put on the rear. 225/235 for 8.5" rim, 235/245 for 9.5" rim. Depends if you want any stretch ... as reference, my dc5 has 17x8.5 +32 wheels with 235/40/17 tyres and 1 finger gap all around - only needs rear guard rolling and a small bit of negative camber.

Also, it makes more sense to put the beefier tyres at the front for a FWD car too...

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    When i ran 9.5+30 up front and camber was -3.8 to -4, upon full lock the inner part of the wheel would grind against the strut. So with your +35 there is a strong chance it will do the same, however this statement of mine is heavily dependant of how much camber your willing to run.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S
    Yeah they should fit nicely. I fairly recently put some new wheels on my DC5S and the fronts are 18x8.5 +38 with Kumho KU36's 225/40/18 and the rears are 18x9.5 +38 with Kumho KU36's 235/40/18 so slightly bigger but similar fit. The rear tires have a bit of stretch but needed to clear the guard unless you have more camber. It's pretty flush. Looks good. The rear guards will have to be rolled. I'll try post some pics. As for the tires I reckon go the Kumho KU36's because they have good grip for their price range. It was $1200 for all four. If you ask me the car will look very odd if the front tires are bigger than the rear. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by iiVTECN; 13-07-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by iiVTECN View Post
    Yeah they should fit nicely. I fairly recently put some new wheels on my DC5S and the fronts are 18x8.5 +38 with Kumho KU36's 225/40/18 and the rears are 18x9.5 +38 with Kumho KU36's 235/40/18 so slightly bigger but similar fit. The rear tires have a bit of stretch but needed to clear the guard unless you have more chamber. It's pretty flush. Looks good. The rear guards will have to be rolled. I'll try post some pics. As for the tires I reckon go the Kumho KU36's because they have good grip for their price range. It was $1200 for all four. If you ask me the car will look very odd if the front tires are bigger than the rear. I hope this helps.
    It's a FWD car after all.
    DC5R

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    Don't know how your fitting a 9.5 wide rear with such a high offset and not rubbing the rear trailing arm. Must be running some mad camber

Edit:

@ iiVTECN: just saw you have 18" wheels

To the OP, I would look for a lower offset for the rear as a x9 +35 will rub I reckon. A lot of people running 17x9 +35 have had contact with the rear trailing arm so from that I think your almost certainly going to with those specs. Also why not go a x9 wheel on the front? Why are you going staggered?
    Last edited by Oz_Striker; 13-07-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek4
    Thanks for all the replies guys. We're now looking to go an alternate path now though. Hes instead chosen to go 17x9 +22. How will this go compared to the +35 he was about to go? Hopefully itll fit well or does he have to be "slammed"?
    team grade A

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    17x9 +22 will fit but you'll definitely need some camber, rear-guard rolling and best go with 225/45/17 tyres. The tyres will sit fairly flush with the guards but the the rims will stretch and poke out a little.

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    Wont need mass camber though, i'm running 17x9 +25, 1.5 finger gap, about 2 degrees of camber at the rear, with that width id be going 2.5 degrees at the back, will definitely need your guards rolled though! i went with a 235/40 for mine as i don't like the look of stretched tyres, it fits really nicely and doesn't affect rolling diameter. Wont have to be slammed mate, your after a 2 finger gap and once they camber in a bit it will sit nice, will sit much nicer down a bit lower though! lol

EDIT: forgot to say you shouldn't have any issues now with the RCA, just need to make sure they don't come into contact with the guards!
    Last edited by Oz_Striker; 15-07-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Clio RS197
    Front
    Rims
    Volk TE37
    17x9 +22

Tyres
    Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
    225/45/17

Camber
    -2'.

Mods
    - No fender lining in the front, at its current height (pinky finger gap between tyre and guard).
    - Rubbing on the fender lining tabs.

Rear
    Rims
    Volk TE37
    17x9 +22

Tyres
    Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
    225/45/17

Camber
    -3'

Mods
    - Rear guards have been rolled
    - Top of the inside of the rear bar as been cut

Ozhonda Subscriber Array
    Car:
    DC5R with a JDM K20A
    17x9 +22 on 235 / 40. -3 camber front, -2.5 (or 3) at the rear)

Height

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM B18CR
    Im runing the same size for my dc5r

Rays ce28n
    Front- 17x8.5+30 wrap on 225/40
    Rear- 17x9.5+35 weap on 255/45, i just need a 5-8mm spacer.

1 finger from the wheel to the guards all around

Fitmeants pretty aggressive!