Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

xenon headlights do not work in my accord

Hi guys,

i recently bought a pair of of xenon blue/white bulbs for my headlights on my accord. i put them in but noticed no difference in light colour compared to my normal stock bulbs as the colour of the light was still yellowish. i tried 2 different brands of bulbs and the same situation occured. I was wondering why is this happening and is there anything i could do to bring out the proper bright xenon blue/white light from my headlights. My car is a 1996 accord vti-s and the bulbs my car uses for the headlights are 12V 60/55W H4

Thanks

heres some background research on HIDs firstly

http://www.aa1car.com/library/hid_headlamps.htm

that link there contains everything you need to know about HIDs

now to your original question...

your car contains halogen lights, DO NOT get a HID conversion kit (im against HID kits on normal Halogen headlights)

from the info youve provided youve tried different halogen globes, each with different degrees of blue colouring on the actual globe?

my best advice, get Phillips Crystal series globes, from what ive seen they are the "whitest" halogen globes you can get

you need to keep in mind, the bluer your globes get, the more actual light you loose

for this reason, Phillips Silver Series might be a good choice for you also (more yellow than crystal, but more practical)

Halogen globes will always look yellowish, you cant do anything about that...you could however go Phillips diamond series, but those lights are basically blue, stay away because it does not light up the road for crap

hope this helps
    Last edited by kristrifo; 25-08-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by avtis96 View Post
    Hi guys,

i recently bought a pair of of xenon blue/white bulbs for my headlights on my accord. i put them in but noticed no difference in light colour compared to my normal stock bulbs as the colour of the light was still yellowish. i tried 2 different brands of bulbs and the same situation occured. I was wondering why is this happening and is there anything i could do to bring out the proper bright xenon blue/white light from my headlights. My car is a 1996 accord vti-s and the bulbs my car uses for the headlights are 12V 60/55W H4

Thanks
    If you have plastic headlights they may be oxidized and causing the light to shift from white to yellow, if this is the case use the write up's in the diy section to restore/clean them.

Quote Originally Posted by kristrifo View Post
    heres some background research on HIDs firstly

http://www.aa1car.com/library/hid_headlamps.htm

that link there contains everything you need to know about HIDs

now to your original question...

your car contains halogen lights, DO NOT get a HID conversion kit (im against HID kits on normal Halogen headlights)

from the info youve provided youve tried different halogen globes, each with different degrees of blue colouring on the actual globe?

my best advice, get Phillips Crystal series globes, from what ive seen they are the "whitest" halogen globes you can get

you need to keep in mind, the bluer your globes get, the more actual light you loose

for this reason, Phillips Silver Series might be a good choice for you also (more yellow than crystal, but more practical)

Halogen globes will always look yellowish, you cant do anything about that...you could however go Phillips diamond series, but those lights are basically blue, stay away because it does not light up the road for crap

hope this helps

Kris
    he never mentioned hid's just said xenon and you can get normal "xenon" lights example
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Yeah quite sure he's talking about halogen bulbs

Can you post the ones you've bought so far and also a pic of your headlight so we can see the condition

I would advise going with a brand name like Raybrig,MTEC and others and avoid strong blue output bulbs

Something like these should be good http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Xenon-Hea...#ht_2669wt_952

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 VTI-R
    If you'd like to play it safe with the cops, Narva make an ADR approved 4200k bulb called the 'Narva Intense'. I haven't tried this particular globe, but I've used the Narva Artic plus 50 and I was pretty happy with them.

Thanks for that info guys thats a bit more helpful. ill look into those brands and see how it goes. and yes my car does use halogen globes and the two brands i have tried are calibre xenon and ultra halogen

Here is a picture of my headlight:

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Hmmm your headlight looks in fine condition so it must be you happen to buy 2 sets of not so good globes. Sucks but it can be trial and error for alot of us also

Ive been through many brands myself lol.Its hit and miss

For sure MTEC super whites,Raybrig or Euroline will give the look youre after.

I got these from America and theyre just right as far as brightness and colour

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330669747654
    Very white and alot brighter than standard yellowish bulbs.

Note they are H4H so wont fit yours but you can find regular H4 Im sure as its the common fitment

Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    Hmmm your headlight looks in fine condition so it must be you happen to buy 2 sets of not so good globes. Sucks but it can be trial and error for alot of us also

Ive been through many brands myself lol.Its hit and miss

For sure MTEC super whites,Raybrig or Euroline will give the look youre after.

I got these from America and theyre just right as far as brightness and colour

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330669747654
    Very white and alot brighter than standard yellowish bulbs.

Note they are H4H so wont fit yours but you can find regular H4 Im sure as its the common fitment
    thanks mate ill look into these ones and see how i go. cheers for the tips!

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Calibre bulbs are pretty standard... The tint is pretty light so the output comes out only SLIGHTLY whiter. You will notice that if you stand far away from the car they will actually look pretty white. Not sure about the other brand you tried. Looks like you spent a bit of money already though.

Just so you know, to get the 'white' effect, you need bulbs with tints as dark (or darker) as what EKVTIR-T linked. Any lighter and it will only shift the light a little bit. But you will lose a lot of usable light with these bulbs. Often, to compensate for the loss of light, the bulbs are made to draw more power. This usually doesn't compensate enough and has the drawback of much shorter lifespan (a lot of the cheaper bulbs will only last you a few months). There are a few exceptions, such as the Philips bulbs which still have a fairly long lifespan and light comparable to the OEM bulbs. Don't expect a jump in light output though with any of these tinted bulbs (though they may give the illusion that they are due to the colour).

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    When i first got my car it had yellow bulbs in it, although they were set shining too low i could see the light clearly. I went out though to get some whiter globes after getting used to my old HID's after putting in these whiter light i could barely tell if they were turned on unless it was pitch black, the seeable light is less but it seems cleaner to the eye. hard to explain.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    Tinted H4 bulbs are always gonna be pretty shit house period! You'll never get light similar to that of a HID system, but if you do insist in a tinted H4 bulb I recommend OSRAM night breakers.

Just remember to get the whitest light out of a H4 halogen bulb, the darker the blue tint on the bulb will need to be, and the darker the tint, the less light it will produce, only way to combat this is run higher wattage blue coated bulbs and risk melting your wiring.
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord CD5
    hi ...im new to this site....my accord cd5 reverse lights do not work..i have checked the bulbs and they are algud..is there a fuse for this? if so where is it located? i have pulled all fuses i could find and checked them they are all good...also my handbrake light on console does not work either...the only come on when i crank the engine...i have changed brake pads and topped up brake fluids but still its not working....

thanks