Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK1

Engine shaking on 1998 ek1 civic? Question of concern

For some reason the engine on my ek1 civic was shaking as i was flushing the coolant... and also it shakes even more when i turn the air conditioner on hot. would anyone know the cause? and if this is normal?

The shaking only started happening after i had flushed the coolant, the engine was shaking so much that it could be felt while sitting in the car. The brake, power steering fluids were also rapidly moving back and forth.

After i replaced the coolent with the new, it happened again. I then took it for a drive around the block (around 7mins) and the shaking stopped and the car is fine. I think the possible cause was that the coolant didn't circulate properly or the timming belt was out of place as the car was on a jack (one side only)

Even though the car is fine now, just wanted to know your thoughts on it.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    Was the car running when you drained the coolant?
    OHSC

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Quote Originally Posted by senna View Post
    Was the car running when you drained the coolant?
    Yes that is correct

could be the water pump, when you drained the coolant it was spinning without anything to pump. not 100% sure but
    team.gradeA

more smart. more safe. moreTEIN

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    WTH? when u drain it, the engine should be off
    くまくま━━━━━━ヽ( ・(ェ)・ )ノ━━━━━━ !!

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecivic78 View Post
    this,

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

+1

Excessive heat from the running engine not being cooled by the coolant could have caused the whole system to pressurise quite a lot, could have ****ed something up.

You'd only need to turn on the heater to hasten up the coolant circulation through the system AFTER you have put in new coolant, not whilst draining the old. Timing belt won't be out of place because the car is on jack stands.
    team.gradeA

more smart. more safe. moreTEIN

Member Array
    Car:
    Laser,B16EF,DC2
    your idle control runs off coolant so if there is no water the computer wont know what temp the car is at to adjust the idle

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    problems.....
    OHSC

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Quote Originally Posted by SLOBRO View Post
    your idle control runs off coolant so if there is no water the computer wont know what temp the car is at to adjust the idle
    hence the shaking.

OP - Do some research on home mechanics if you are going to DIY. Either that or take it to a professional - you are damn lucky you didn't overheat the car and blow a head gasket... I know it sounds extreme but it could of happened.
    くまくま━━━━━━ヽ( ・(ェ)・ )ノ━━━━━━ !!

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    hence the shaking.

OP - Do some research on home mechanics if you are going to DIY. Either that or take it to a professional - you are damn lucky you didn't overheat the car and blow a head gasket... I know it sounds extreme but it could of happened.
    we followed many videos on youtube.. but it wasnt as expected. part of the video was to have the water running down the radiator while the engine was turned on.. as soon as we figured the engine started shaking we stopped as it didnt seem right

i guess this a lesson to be learnt!

Member Array
    Car:
    Laser,B16EF,DC2
    dw lol you wont learn till you make mistakes how do you think all the mechanics started out, most didn't a thing