Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EM1>Crx Delsol

Bad piston rings - stop leak

Just wondering, has anyone used these stop leak things you buy at your local supercheap or so? I know it's temporary but how long does it last for, and is it more likely to stuff up your engine in any way ?

Cheers guys.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    I would try thicker oil. I'm guessing that's all the additive does. If it's still bad second hand engine or rebuild current one appear to be the options. Sure it's rings and not valves? Compression and leak down test to confirm?

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1>Crx Delsol
    Havent done the compression test yet. But It's always pissing out smoke so quite sure the rings.

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    What I would do is, change oil to thicker oil, change oil to different Brand. Addictive will lower the burning oil but will not stop it. Are you sure it's burning oil, not blown Headgasket.
    I would rebuild the engine rather than buying 2nd hand engine, or engine swap if you got the funds.
    Do a compression test wet/dry/

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I agree, rebuild the engine.

Anything else is a bandaid

Op

Are you sure it's "bad rings" ?
    There are several other issues that can exhibit the same symptoms ( excessive oil loss etc)

Get a leak down test done and find out the exact area of the leak / compression loss

Could be worn valve stem seals, bad PCV System etc.
    Get these checked first before rebuilding the engine !

Just another suggestion - please don't use any stop leak or similar on any modern engines- there are very tight tolerances and oil galleries that can get blocked By additives or dislodged oil sludge etc

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1>Crx Delsol
    Okay well thanks for replies guys. I guess a compression test first will answer my question. And no stop leak. Thread com be closed.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I'll keep it open if you'd like to keep us updated?

Fingers crossed for you.

Member Array
    Car:
    jdm b16a civic
    buy a nippon racing rebuild kit off ebay for just over 300 and your laughing full rebuild

Member Array
    Car:
    vtec powered
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyH View Post
    Just wondering, has anyone used these stop leak things you buy at your local supercheap or so? I know it's temporary but how long does it last for, and is it more likely to stuff up your engine in any way ?

Cheers guys.
    try this product, make sure your engine is warm, then add the whole bottle to the engine, after that drive around so it mixes. this will work if you have bad valve stem steals. it'll stop the smoking if that's what you're thinking. good day.
    http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...01#Description
    Tokyo Life

Quote Originally Posted by BennyH View Post
    Okay well thanks for replies guys. I guess a compression test first will answer my question. And no stop leak. Thread com be closed.
    A compression test tells you if a cylinder is loosing compression ( ie leak)....not enough evidence to simply suggest "bad rings"

Use a LEAK DOWN test to find out where it is leaking from ! Most mechanics should be able to do this