Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: White Smoke...

Member Array
    Car:
    Mx-5
    dont know if this helps but when i bought my eg it did the same thing. but it turned out to be just condensation. but after a few months, the smoke that came out from my exhaust started to smell like it was burning oil and i got it checked up that it really was burning oil. so i just had an engine swap instead. if your lucky its just condensation! hopefully its nothing major mate.

Your best bet would be to pm username 'charliebrown' he is located near melbourne. Tell him duc sent you to him. You will under good care from here.
    Be water my friend.

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    In b4 bent crank Duc P Nguyen

dude from that video it looks like condensation

Member Array
    Car:
    Mx-5
    oh and i forgot to mention that if your car does burn oil, the smoke will constantly come out. even if the engine is already warmed up smoke will be coming out as well. well thats what happened to my civic anyways. just tryin to give u some ideas.

Member Array
    Car:
    05 DC5S
    Quote Originally Posted by Goku View Post
    oh and i forgot to mention that if your car does burn oil, the smoke will constantly come out. even if the engine is already warmed up smoke will be coming out as well. well thats what happened to my civic anyways. just tryin to give u some ideas.
    Only reason i am thinking its not oil since its not a constant thing....

BUT i think it might be a little oil that builds up over night from a warn valve stem seal or something? Since its pretty cold down here, i think the oil leaks over night which builds up (strange because oil levels are the same really... i think). But when i start the car in the morning it burns all that and runs fine when the engine is warm. I'm not too sure about this either, just speculating....

I'll try and get this checked out this week end when i have some spare time ;/. I only pray that its condensation, but the only thing stopping me from thinking this is that the smoke amount is way too large, im basically covering the entire street behind me just to warm the car up.

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Took my E30 ('80s BMW) to work today and it puffed a ton of steam out for the first minute and then a little on corner stops until the exhaust warmed. The E30 has over 340K kms on its unopened straight 6 - I think your 'teg might be ok. BTW, my DC2R with 41K kms on it does it as well - and I can guarantee it's not oil

You've eliminated oil (no oil loss)
    You've eliminated water loss
    You've eliminated an increase in oil (water pumped into the oil galleries)
    You've eliminated gas contaminants in your radiator
    Your problems stop when your motor is warm

Relax and stop "warming your car up" - get in it, run the motor for 30sec to 1min as already pointed out and drive it. Sitting it still at idle is not going to warm the exhaust up quickly, driving it will. The sooner your motor warms up, the better. Warm-ups are a thing of the past. Hell, I didn't even do that in my old EH Holden

Get it checked for peace of mind - auto mechanics can check for contaminants in your radiator using gas readings as an internal water leak blows water into the cylinders/sump and exhaust fumes/oil particles into your cooling system.

Until you get it checked, STOP READING THIS THREAD AS IT'S F***ING WITH YOUR HEAD!
    Last edited by Setanta; 25-07-2012 at 10:31 PM.
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

last point setanta made is indeed one of the best...

just get it checked to put your mind at ease

Member Array
    Car:
    Mx-5
    completely agree with the others!

Member Array
    Car:
    (.Y.)
    White smoke or water vapor from the exhaust. You notice white smoke coming from the exhaust when you start your car. If it is cold out, this may be normal. If the smoke does not disappear after the car is warmed, you have a problem.

Transmission fluid may be entering the intake manifold through vacuum modulator.
    Replace vacuum modulator
    Cylinder head gasket may be bad.
    Replace cylinder head gasket.
    Cylinder head may be warped or cracked.
    Resurface or replace cylinder heads. (Resurfacing is not a DIY job)
    The engine block may be cracked.
    Replace engine block.

Member Array
    Car:
    05 DC5S
    Hey guys, thanks for all the input!! I'm going to take it to a mechanic when ever I can. Constantly busy, ill post back on details when ever I can if anyone even cares. Hah.

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    Let us know how it went with the fix or issue...
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......

Member Array
    Car:
    05 DC5S
    Hopefully gets checked out this weekend