Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 lude VTiR/ 97 ek b18c

apexi vafc vtec problem

i dont know whats wrong with the car or vafc but when i change the vtec cont to 4500rpm to 4300 vtec kicks in at 7200 ? pretty wierd huh do you guys know whats wrong?

was the apexi professionally wired up? if not check your wiring first!

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    fcuked up installation i suspect
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    (.Y.)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5thgen_prel View Post
    i dont know whats wrong with the car or vafc but when i change the vtec cont to 4500rpm to 4300 vtec kicks in at 7200 ? pretty wierd huh do you guys know whats wrong?
    Ask a tuner or performance shop what the problem is with what is happening, I reckon once vtec has been changed from the original spot must be tuned according to it.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    which car is this vafc in? Specs?

check your wiring, try disconnecting it and see where the original crossover is. and bring it up to 7200rpm and see if its making the same noise, maybe u just cant hear the cross over.
    or the ECU does not deem it worthy to activate vtec yet because of oil pressure or Throttle position. all because u screwed with the wiring.

You're driving a 5th gen prelude like mine I assume?

How can vtec kick in at 7200rpm?

Redline on the tacho is 7400rpm but the actual ECU rpm is about 7000rpm.

my lude is tuned and I can tell you the vtec crossover is not very noticable when set to <4500rpm.. If you listen carefully you'll hear a slight change in engine noise as more air enters the engine...Once you reach the normal VTEC rpm of about 5200rpm on the tacho, you'll feel a slight jolt due to the intake manifold dual runners opening up.

So that's how a a factory lude gets that VTEC kick/jolt....high cam+ intake runners opening = sudden surge of power.

Anyways you'll need a dyno tune to smooth out the power curve...
    Last edited by migoreng; 29-07-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    (.Y.)
    Quote Originally Posted by migoreng View Post

my lude is tuned and I can tell you the vtec crossover is not very noticable when set to <4500rpm.. If you listen carefully you'll hear a slight change in engine noise as more air enters the engine...Once you reach the normal VTEC rpm of about 5200rpm on the tacho, you'll feel a slight jolt due to the intake manifold dual runners opening up.

So that's how a a factory lude gets that VTEC kick/jolt....high cam+ intake runners opening = sudden surge of power.

Exactly what I stated, get it tuned. Moving the vtec from the original spot without tune is the worse thing to do!
    Last edited by HondaTurboVtec; 29-07-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    apparently this:
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaTurboVtec View Post
    Ask a tuner or performance shop what the problem is with what is happening, I reckon once vtec has been changed from the original spot must be tuned according to it.

means all this:

Quote Originally Posted by migoreng View Post

according to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaTurboVtec View Post
    Exactly what I stated, get it tuned. Moving the vtec from the original spot without tune is the worse thing to do!

Member Array
    Car:
    civic
    its a ek4

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    pull the vafc off, problem solved

^ literally, what this guy said. Not even shitting you
    Quote Originally Posted by dwn_boi View Post
    not quite sure how to spell but taste mad, its hard on the outside and creamy on the inside omfg so good