Member Array
    Car:
    EG4

Stiff shock, soft springs and Big sway bar, possible?

Hi there, i just wonder Stiff shock, soft springs and Big sway bar provide comfortable and handling? i heard that the european car do this kind of setup.

any thought if i use tanabe spring/stock springs on skunk2 or koni yellow shock on my teg?

cheez

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9 Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by altong0840 View Post
    Hi there, i just wonder Stiff shock, soft springs and Big sway bar provide comfortable and handling? i heard that the european car do this kind of setup.

any thought if i use tanabe spring/stock springs on skunk2 or koni yellow shock on my teg?

cheez
    1. Are you going to run your car super low? (ie, 2 to 3” ground clearance), if the answer is yes you will need high spring rates to prevent bottoming out and bump stops set to limit the suspension movement in order to maintain some ground clearance at full bump.
    2. Are you committed to running super short shock absorbers? If the answer is yes then again you will have to run high spring rates in order to prevent the unit bottoming out over the smallest of
    bumps.
    3. Do you want more than 3” to 4” suspension travel? If yes, then you will need a shock absorber with a corresponding amount of travel unless you incline the unit at
    an angle or build mechanical advantage into the system.
    4. Do you want a comfortably soft ride? Then you will need relatively low spring rates along with adequate amounts of travel to allow the suspension to work off the bumps.
    5. Do you want to reduce bump thump (The tremendous crash felt if you hit a pothole)? If you are using coil-over-shocks you won’t reduce it because the bushes in the shock eyes have to be very stiff to withstand the constant compressive load they experience from the moment you fit them (some shockers are fitted with Rose bearings which give the harshest ride of all).

I did have Ibach lowering springs with 5 way adjustable Tokico shocks that worked a treat on my street LS Integra. Set on 3 for the street and set to 5 for the track bloody not bad.
    I use Koni yellow with coil-overs on my dedicated track car and have not changed them for the 12 years of racing.
    Last edited by gbpracing; 17-07-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    That's the sort of setup i'm running. i'm not dumped though.

You should probably run softer shocks as they also have a significant effect on balance between comfort and handling

your setup sounds alright
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    EG4
    Quote Originally Posted by gbpracing View Post
    1. Are you going to run your car super low? (ie, 2 to 3” ground clearance), if the answer is yes you will need high spring rates to prevent bottoming out and bump stops set to limit the suspension movement in order to maintain some ground clearance at full bump.
    2. Are you committed to running super short shock absorbers? If the answer is yes then again you will have to run high spring rates in order to prevent the unit bottoming out over the smallest of
    bumps.
    3. Do you want more than 3” to 4” suspension travel? If yes, then you will need a shock absorber with a corresponding amount of travel unless you incline the unit at
    4. Do you want a comfortably soft ride? Then you will need relatively low spring rates along with adequate amounts of travel to allow the suspension to work off the bumps.
    5. Do you want to reduce bump thump (The tremendous crash felt if you hit a pothole)? If you are using coil-over-shocks you won’t reduce it because the bushes in the shock eyes have to be very stiff to withstand the constant compressive load they experience from the moment you fit them (some shockers are fitted with Rose bearings which give the harshest ride of all).

I did have Ibach lowering springs with 5 way adjustable Tokico shocks that worked a treat on my street LS Integra. Set on 3 for the street and set to 5 for the track bloody not bad.
    I use Koni yellow with coil-overs on my dedicated track car and have not changed them for the 12 years of racing.
    thz for the input, i am just looking for sth like 2 inch drop not sth hella flush,

Member Array
    Car:
    EG4
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    That's the sort of setup i'm running. i'm not dumped though.

You should probably run softer shocks as they also have a significant effect on balance between comfort and handling

your setup sounds alright
    so koni yellow or skunk2 sport will be too stiff? because i am running tein s.tech + skunk2 sport shock, it stiff like hell, i though it would be the spring too stiff for my daily, i need to drive to work thru the bad bad uneven road everyday

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Quote Originally Posted by gbpracing View Post
    bumps.

You must spread some reputation.

Very well explained
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9 Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by altong0840 View Post
    so koni yellow or skunk2 sport will be too stiff? because i am running tein s.tech + skunk2 sport shock, it stiff like hell, i though it would be the spring too stiff for my daily, i need to drive to work thru the bad bad uneven road everyday
    For all your street guys shockers and springs are critical to get right for safety reasons... I did all the lowering stuff my LS was 3" lower looked mean but I had the right spring shocker combo and I could adjust the settings to suit the conditions. Get it wrong and you just might find you and your car leaving the road just when you dont want too... particularly if doing 100kph and you hit a bump or dip in the road. Ask your professional suspension guys for advice, its not worth the risk to get it wrong.

Member Array
    Car:
    95 dc4
    I'm running Eibarch progressive springs, koni yellows (set to halfway) and larger swaybars (27 front and a 25 rear) on my Dc4 it's a comfortable enough for a daily and it can take whatever my tyres can handle in the hills, I don't see what all the hype is about people running Stiff as coilovers on there dailys

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9 Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by Šerp View Post
    I'm running Eibarch progressive springs, koni yellows (set to halfway) and larger swaybars (27 front and a 25 rear) on my Dc4 it's a comfortable enough for a daily and it can take whatever my tyres can handle in the hills, I don't see what all the hype is about people running Stiff as coilovers on there dailys
    Eibach are excellent I had them on my road LS sounds like you have a good set up for your needs..
    Last edited by gbpracing; 19-07-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    Seems the Integra crowd are getting the idea....now for the civic drivers....lol
    OHSC