Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    This may be a silly question, but what is the difference between speakers and component speakers?

Also, what are the things to look for in front speakers and amps? Is it the Watts?

I've took out my speakers for fun and it doesn't seem hard to DIY (take out speaker and plug in a new one?), I think the main challenge is to tune the amp and knowing which wires goes where.

Choosing the system seems like the hardest task!!

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Fronts - Polk - they love r&b
    Amp - jay car , Coustic or something with decent power to power the polks
    Backs - look at Polk again

Front polk splits on eBay like $190 shipped

Headunit I like pioneer

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    This may be a silly question, but what is the difference between speakers and component speakers?

Also, what are the things to look for in front speakers and amps? Is it the Watts?

I've took out my speakers for fun and it doesn't seem hard to DIY (take out speaker and plug in a new one?), I think the main challenge is to tune the amp and knowing which wires goes where.

Components have a tweeter that separates the highs

What to look for... Yeah I guess rms and db sensitivity .

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CRXDEL501 View Post
    Fronts - Polk - they love r&b
    Amp - jay car , Coustic or something with decent power to power the polks
    Backs - look at Polk again

Front polk splits on eBay like $190 shipped

Headunit I like pioneer
    It is currently $130 shipped. I like the price value, do you have any more recommendations? I like to keep my options open!

Seems like we have similar taste in music so it might mean that we prefer similar sounds!

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Nah I like the polks
    I've used them twice in two different cars

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    IMO id get alpine Type-G splits, they offer great all round splits and its not to pricey

Installed em into my bros Euro an they are fantastic, good low to high range frequency and bass is crisp.
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Yeah I don't know about alpine

Used the type r's and didn't like them for the price

Way over priced

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank

The difference between coaxial speakers and components(aka splits or 2 way) is that the coaxial speaker will have the tweeter mounted in the position of the phase plug rather than being seperate, haveing seperate speakers will give you better sound providing they are installed properly.

For speakers and amps its not the watts its the Rms or nominal power rating you want to look at, also the ohm rating is important.

You will only be able to take out and "plug a speaker in" if you get shallow 5.25 inch or 6 inch as the plastic basket in the ek door restrics the size of the driver, to install properly you need to cut out the plastic in the door panel and mount the driver to the door skin, heres some pics to show you what i mean, this seals the speaker to the door and gives it an enclosure so it doesnt sound hollow like improperly installed speakers do.

mounted to the door

door trim cut to fit mdf spacer and 6.5 inch

stock grill still fits

The amp is simple, your not running a sub atm so hpf filter is off then set head unit to 75% of max volume and start withe the gain at the highest voltage and turn it up till you hear clipping/distortion then bring it back just before you heard it. attunate the tweeters to the level you like on the crossover and your pretty much set.
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Yeah I don't know about alpine

Used the type r's and didn't like them for the price

Way over priced
    probably wernt installed and/or amped properly, alpine make decent splits, heard them used in an sq car and sounded amazing.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Do you have some sort of tutorial when you installed your front speakers?

and/or do you know any good speakers that have shallow 5.25 inch or 6 inch as the plastic basket?

I have to check again with my car in the morning, but I don't notice anything different when i opened it today with the trim cut (second picture)

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Quote Originally Posted by TbM View Post
    probably wernt installed and/or amped properly, alpine make decent splits, heard them used in an sq car and sounded amazing.
    Lol

m8

I had a amp that could power most speakers you could buy

They were well powered

And the install, well... That was good. I did it myself so I would know

I've done enough installs to know what I'm doing and I spend hours just tuning my system

So no, alpines are not the best speaker for the price you pay

Polk are half the price for the same power rated ones and blow them away

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Do you have some sort of tutorial when you installed your front speakers?

and/or do you know any good speakers that have shallow 5.25 inch or 6 inch as the plastic basket?

I have to check again with my car in the morning, but I don't notice anything different when i opened it today with the trim cut (second picture)
    I dont have a diy for that sorry, its pretty straight forward, roughy cut out the basket then you mount the spacer by countersinking 3 screws into the mdf using the 3 factory screw locations after that you line up the door panel too see how much you cut off the spacer and door panel to fit over.

I dont remember how deep the factory panel allows for without modification so you would have to take out the speaker and measure the depth.

If you didnt notice anything different the basket may of been cut out by the previous owner, this is what im talking about

that restricts the depth and width of the speaker, its alot easier to leave it inplace and just mount the new speaker to the door panel but you get better sound using a bigger driver so the extra time and effort to cut the panel is worth it imo.

Lol

m8

I had a amp that could power most speakers you could buy

They were well powered

And the install, well... That was good. I did it myself so I would know

I've done enough installs to know what I'm doing and I spend hours just tuning my system

So no, alpines are not the best speaker for the price you pay

Polk are half the price for the same power rated ones and blow them away
    Were they deadened, mounted to the door skin and service holes sealed? Woofer/tweeter on axis or off?

Thats your opinion, Ive been less than satisfied with the entry range polks ive heard. Regardless i still prefer morels over both and focals over morels.