Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Hiace

Registering a car with an engine conversion.

Im losing my shit. I was told by some twat at the RTA that I need an engineers certificate, because my EG SI with a B16 in it, has gone over the 15% displacement law...

Mind you, he told me the law includes increases in power. I went on the site, read through the guidelines and it states.. In print. In plain bloody english that if the DISPLACEMENT of the engine is increased by more than 15% from STANDARD (eg si has a 1.6 litre and a b16 is a bloody 1.6 litre) it requires an engineers certificate.

Has anyone else had this baloney problem with these arseholes?

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    interesting. Link to the relevant clauses?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Hiace
    Examples of minor (owner certified) modifications are:
    „ Engine changes where the capacity increase is less than 15% above the maximum size engine available for the
    vehicle (providing no major structural modifications are necessary and where noise and/or exhaust emission
    ADRs apply, all standard equipment such as carburettors, exhaust systems, exhaust gas recirculating valves,
    oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors relating to noise and emission control are retained and operate
    correctly).

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...s_nov_2007.pdf

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    interesting, doesn't really mention anything about power however it does mention

"Owners should note that an engine might not be suitable even though it’s capacity falls within the specified limits."

which is very vague.. the whole document is very vague

I wish you the best of luck
    Last edited by curtis265; 25-07-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Hiace
    thanks bro, suppose thats a sufficient statement when it comes down to law.. cant do anything in this bloody country.

nah you don't need it

just take it to blueslip mechanic and tell them you want adjustment of records, then take the slip to RTA with proof of purchase

done and dusted

Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Hiace
    car already went for a blue slip bro, it hasnt been registered in years... the mechanic called me and told me the rta wont allow it without a vsccs cert. so its not done and dusted.

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    Just take your valid blue slip with the new engine no on the slip and bring proof of purchase for the engine and take all this to the rta and rego the fcker.

You'd be ok, just dont ask any questions and be friendly.. Most of these cs operators dunno shit bout cars.

If they ask why u change engine, just say old one had its life.

Let us knw how u go...
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......

Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Hiace
    it doesnt make sense though, ive done an engine conversion before and didnt have this problem, maybe they've come down hard coz of this new vsccs? the mechanic said the rta wont allow it, so im assuming he tried doing it all online?

I did the exact same thing and went through without any questions

Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Hiace
    how recently did you do it ? i did the same thing too, b16 in an eg si and there was no questions asked.. but this was 2 years ago !

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    Quote Originally Posted by Henessaayyy View Post
    it doesnt make sense though, ive done an engine conversion before and didnt have this problem, maybe they've come down hard coz of this new vsccs? the mechanic said the rta wont allow it, so im assuming he tried doing it all online?
    Dude,

Some mechanics are too scared due to the lack of knowledge of these new laws that keep changing.

If u get knocked back, let me knw as i can refer u to a reputable mechanic that knows their shit bout blue slip.
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......