Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH

What vtec engine should i get for my ek1 hatchback civic?

I dont have much money but that can be changed, I need a Vtec engine to fit my EK1 Civic, I need it for Daily Driving, Motorkhana/ hillclimb racing, so it needs to be smooth and competive.

And with your answer, please say why so I know the Ups and Downs and if you can, What do I need to change on the engine or engine bay to fit the engine. (Only Manual G/boxes too) And incase you are wondering, yes I am a noob, I owned my Civic since i was 15 cause it was going cheap in good nick and low kms and now I want to race it and make it a little bit like a JDM Sleeper.

Cheers!

Member Array
    Car:
    ek4
    Im assuming you are coming from a d series?.. If so then ill probably recommend a B18 engine. B16 would be fine too but you'll want some torque to do some hill climbs.

Crossing out the b16, theres the b18c2 and the b18c7. Theres also the jdm b18c which makes a bit more power than the c7. Out of them the cheapest is the b18c2 which features a two stage vtec and is found in the integra vtir. It is a good daily engine but if you want more power go straight to the c7 or jdm b18c from the integra type r.

With any of these conversions youll need the engine package which will include everything to install. Usually these come with eg/dc2 mounts so for ek you will need a set of ek mounts. You can go OEM which are found in the ek4 or em1, or go aftermarket like hasport or hardrace. Along with this you will need the loom from the em1 or ek4.

Other than that, everything should be alright. Hope this helps!
    team grade A

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    Buy a B16A2, install B16B cam shafts, and B16B intake manifold, aftermarket headers, and exhaust. And you'll have your self one angry mofo VTEC cross over! But as its still only 1.6, it won't be very torquey but will be lots of fun...
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    Ekay
    B18c2 since ur on a budget. It's only abit more expensive compared to a b16a2 . Pay that extra few hundred or so for torque

Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH
    Cheers that helps alot now I know what engine I am after. Will it be quick enough as stock or does it need upgraded pistons, camshafts or something? and would you turbo it (i understand doing this needs forged pistons, better camshafts, etc.)

And for the b18c7/ jdm b18c, what about the driveshafts and raditator?

I would be putting adjustable tein struts with coilovers front/ rear, and all round upgraded breaks and rotars.

Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH
    Quote Originally Posted by EG52NV View Post
    Buy a B16A2, install B16B cam shafts, and B16B intake manifold, aftermarket headers, and exhaust. And you'll have your self one angry mofo VTEC cross over! But as its still only 1.6, it won't be very torquey but will be lots of fun...
    sorry, now i know how to have this thing above my message lol. and Cheers but i wouldnt mind a couple of torque so I can beat my dads xr8 falcon here and there hahaha

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    If you get b18c2 make sure you get b16 or b18c7 gearbox, the ratios on b18c2 box will make car seem slow
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    DC1 Integra. Yh
    Tight Budget : B16a/2 Decent Budet : B18C2 (recommended) Bit more cash to go : B18c7 > Kdwap. Seeing your answer before purchasing the engine, i think you should really consider the amount of labour having to be $$ to put it in. Because no offence OP all i can see is i have an EK and want a fast engine to beat or "catch up" to an SS not hating but i think you need more research because at the end of the day, it'll depend on how much money you have for the swap itself. Anything from $2500 to $10,000 or more. So consider figuring out your budget then where you can go from there.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    Keep the d16 and turbo it, more torque and power than a b18c
    snapping 2nd..

Member Array
    Car:
    (.Y.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamjoeldavis View Post
    I dont have much money but that can be changed, I need a Vtec engine to fit my EK1 Civic, I need it for Daily Driving, Motorkhana/ hillclimb racing, so it needs to be smooth and competive.

And with your answer, please say why so I know the Ups and Downs and if you can, What do I need to change on the engine or engine bay to fit the engine. (Only Manual G/boxes too) And incase you are wondering, yes I am a noob, I owned my Civic since i was 15 cause it was going cheap in good nick and low kms and now I want to race it and make it a little bit like a JDM Sleeper.

Cheers!
    A nice D16 Turbo, I can help you out with a good setup also

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    D15b turbo

Inb4 ohsc

Member Array
    Car:
    CivInteJazPreAc
    We hear this all the time but the easiest, least risky, most cost effective option is selling your EK1 and buying an EK4 or another B, H or K swapped Civic. Unless you have the passion to do it yourself or are just really attached to your car, it's not worth it. I've spent between 6-7 grand so far on my JDM B18C swap and I still have another 1-2 grand to spend. This is doing it all myself. No labor.
    There are quite a few things I'd do different a second time around but I'm not mad about the amount of money I spent because I've learned so much along the way.
    Hope that helps a bit.