Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R

PLM Headers Sound

Hey does anyone have PLM Headers on their car, particularly DC5R as I am interested in getting a set but I've been told they make a buzzing sound as the wall thickness is thinner?

Does anyone have them on their DC5R or other Honda that confirm the sound?

I'm located in Sydney western suburbs but willing to drive if I could meet up with someone to hear them in person that would be great

I just don't want that tinny sound, when I tried an aftermarket front de-cat pipe it made this horrible tinny/buzzy/raspy sound that I couldn't live with

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    I have a set of PLM TA headers with a 100 cell cat on my EM1, i'm very happy with the raspier/growl tone it creates

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by dr1ftaX View Post
    I have a set of PLM TA headers with a 100 cell cat on my EM1, i'm very happy with the raspier/growl tone it creates
    When you say raspier/growl tone, is this sound coming out the end of your exhaust tip or from the area of the headers?
    When I had the front pipe the sound was tinny/bussy and it was coming from the front of my car

Raspy sound could be the exhaust

Another resonator or different muffler would help.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    Quote Originally Posted by yenvy4 View Post
    When you say raspier/growl tone, is this sound coming out the end of your exhaust tip or from the area of the headers?
    When I had the front pipe the sound was tinny/bussy and it was coming from the front of my car
    Engine noise not from the exhaust

4-1 RMF Rep from PLM introduced a tinny sound over my entire exhaust. I got an extra resonator installed to help muffle it.

B18c2 with 2.5" custom exhaust.
    EG

PLM TA 200cell cat and kakimoto R installed on my dc2r this friday hopefully! can't wait!!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Thanks heaps for your input guys, I think I'll go for it and order a set, they're going for ~$450 off eBay ATM!
    I'll take the risk of the tinny sound, I have changed to a quiet 2.5" catback which has a proper resonator muffler and a huge boxed muffler at the back which should shut it up hopefully.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    You could header wrap them which will help with the echo type sound

Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    You could header wrap them which will help with the echo type sound

Yeah but plm headers look nice to have wrap over them...

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    I have them on my Type S and the only noticeable noise change was a "rushing of air" ypet sound coming from the headers and also a slightly louder growl sound at lower revs. I have a Fujitsubo Powergetter which are know NOT to be raspy or drone too much so I think this helps with problems like you are talking about, I'd recommend one of these if you can get your hands on one but it sounds like you have already bought a new exhaust.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz_Striker View Post
    I have them on my Type S and the only noticeable noise change was a "rushing of air" ypet sound coming from the headers and also a slightly louder growl sound at lower revs. I have a Fujitsubo Powergetter which are know NOT to be raspy or drone too much so I think this helps with problems like you are talking about, I'd recommend one of these if you can get your hands on one but it sounds like you have already bought a new exhaust.
    That is something I can deal with, I was worried about that ugly tinny sound I had previously running a down pipe/test pipe. I had a cheap eBay Catback before which was way too loud which prob made the tinny sound with the decat pipe worst so now I have this custom 2.5" catback made by Liverpool which I picked up cheap which is superquiet. I think that will help prevent any nasty raspy sounds.

The thing that put me of are the 2nd Hurricane headers I put on that have a ticking sound, I thought it was just the headers but I have worked out that they are stuffed inside the flexi joint so I can rest assure now that the PLM headers won't be giving me this issue.

I would love a Fujitsubo exhaust but they are very exp and out my price range, kind of on a budget.

The amount of times I've changed my exhaust is ridiculous, from changing back to a stock muffler with my old custom exhaust, to eBay exhaust, then test pipe, test pipe off, test pipe back on, this recent exhaust and headers, now to PLM header lol
    Last edited by yenvy4; 02-08-2012 at 03:45 PM.